“Scuba Diving near Culebra”

Sea Ventures Dive Center
$150.00*
2-Tank Discover Scuba Diving in Fajardo
Ranked #5 of 56 Tours in Fajardo
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The Sea Ventures team were great, professional setup with good gear.
Be warned the boat trip out from Fajardo can be a bit rough (except in April) and expect to get wet on the ride, so put anything you want to wear later below decks.
The dive masters were very friendly and bi-lingual, and really took the time to try and ensure that everyone was OK, and had a good experience.
I would give 5 stars for the company, but only 4 stars for the experience due to rough seas and average visibility. Widlife was great however, saw 6 turtles and a couple of rays as well as Whales on surface. Sea Ventures post photos on facebook for you to collect which is a nice bonus.
About 1h:15min drive from Condado in the morning, so a reasionable option if staying in San Juan.

1  Thank Ian B

Reviewed February 1, 2013

I have been vacationing in Puerto Rico for several years now and always dive with Sea Ventures Dive Center. Let’s start with scheduling and check in at the shop. Yil, the shop manager is patient, efficient, and terrific at handling all of your questions and needs. She has a pleasant manner and a genuine desire to ensure that you have a wonderful diving experience. Once at the vessel, you will meet the stellar crew. I was trained and certified by Luis several years ago. He is a fabulous instructor – gifted diver and swimmer, incredibly knowledgeable, confident, calm, thorough, and patient. He is a wonderful teacher and the type of person you want to teach you how to dive safely. Other crew include Tony, Joel, and Paul who are all pretty terrific too.

I have always felt very safe and confident in the abilities of the entire staff. They always check to make sure everyone is okay both above and below the water. Having been onboard for at least a dozen trips, I can verify that other divers onboard have a diversity of skills, marine knowledge, backgrounds, and personalities. The Sea Ventures staff are open-minded, and respectful of everyone onboard. I have always been incredibly satisfied with my experiences. I have even brought other family members and friends out with Sea Ventures and they all speak highly of the crew and their experiences. The vessel is clean, the gear I borrowed high quality, and the boat is stocked with water, soda, fresh fruits, and snacks.

I think it is important to remember that the crew has no control over water visibility, currents, the health of the reef, or the presence of marine life. They do give a thorough briefing about the dive site, how to protect the reef while diving and stay safe. And when there is something really cool to see (sea turtles, reef sharks, lobsters, sting rays, other fish) they make sure to let everyone get a good chance to see it.

This past January I was in Puerto Rico and went on two trips with Sea Ventures. We reached a dive site and got in the water only to find that the visibility at the reef was less than five feet and there was a pretty strong current. The crew got all of us back onboard in a safe and efficient manner. In fact, I watched Luis tow two tired divers (at the same time) to ensure that they reached the boat safely. Once onboard the crew checked to make sure everyone was okay and wanted to continue diving. We all were eager to dive so the captain and crew checked out a few other dives sites until they found the best and safest site for us to have an enjoyable dive. This story should guarantee how wonderful their work-ethic is and how important safety is for this crew.

To sum it all up, the staff at Sea Ventures is a dedicated, fun group and a pleasure to be around. I am certain that you will have terrific dives if you book with Sea Ventures.

3  Thank KarinJ_11
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I made my annual year-end pilgrimage to Puerto Rico and brought along a couple of friends for diving. Sea Ventures was on my itinerary again this year because they have provided such good service for my past trips. Everyone in my group was pleased with the dives and with the people that run the operation.

The main boat used for the Fajardo location was in for Coast Guard inspection, but that did not cause a problem because they brought in its sister boat to ensure no down time. A safety briefing was given for all dives prior to leaving the dock. The crew readied a fresh water bucket on board for cameras. There were always multiple instructors / dive masters to ensure the dive groups remained small and more flexible. Between dives there was an array of snacks, fruit and drinks to keep the divers energized.

The weather in December was warm and the trade winds were kicking at their normal steady pace which limited the visibility somewhat. We saw rays and turtles and the multitude of small reef fish that populate the canyons and wall surrounding Palominito. Close inspection revealed hidden eels, urchins, red hinds and smooth trunk fish. The wall which circles part of the cayo starts in approximately 30 ft of water and runs to a maximum depth of approximately 70 ft giving fairly dramatic views as you swim along its face. This is a very good location for refresher dives if you haven't been in the water for a while. But, it also appeals to the experienced diver for challenging the identification skills for fish, corals and invertebrates.

On the last day, a vote was given to the divers on the boat whether or not a second dive would be made due to decreasingly poor visibility through the morning. The group decision was to return to the marina without making the second dive. The dive center refunded half of the money for the trip which demonstrated their level of commitment to the sport.

Thanks again to all of those at Sea Ventures! Another memorable set of dives.

2  Thank 10-FT-STOP
Reviewed January 24, 2013

The whole team was great! I called a week in advance to schedule poolwork and open water dives (two out of three required components for open water dive certification). Super easy to schedule, and when my boyfriend and I arrived, we were the only two people for poolwork AND 3 of the four dives! We had Luis and Tony as our instructors, and they were great - calm, professional, super experienced, funny, encouraging. New divers training with Tony, FYI - there is an additional hand signal you need to know, aka the FIST BUMP Tony gives you when you successfully demonstrate skills like mask clearing, etc.!

There was a little "island time" to the operation, but I think much less than typical on the island, and whatever, you're on vacation... we just chilled and relaxed. When we showed up an hour early for our dive (we hadn't been told we could show up later, but to be fair, we didn't ask), we just chilled out and watched the sun over the ridiculously beautiful ocean, etc. etc.

I highly recommend - GREAT outfit for new divers, including discover scuba and people going for their actual certification! conditions are perfect for learning, and seriously, we loved the whole team, instructors, the GM jill, the rest of the crew, etc. HAVE FUN! A BAD DAY DIVING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK!!

Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

I just had my PADI AOW certification with Sea Ventures. Luis was a great buddy and instructor. The dives were great and we were lucky enough to have a great weather! The other members of the staff are all very nice, helpful and trustworthy. They all make you feel comfortable and adjust the dives to your needs and skills!