All reviews mango bamboo restaurant northern ontario cottage feel ocean front boutique resort beach cleaners crab races oceanfront room sound of the waves caribbean sea small resort tour desk some tlc cleaned every day r r wait staff
Selected filters
Reviewed September 29, 2016

Where do I start? My Soulmate (Beverley) and I have recently had 10 of the most wonderful days of our lives, staying at Mangos. After 23 years together we finally decided to tie the knot and get married and we wanted a venue that suited our aims and objectives of not being too expensive, grand or opulent but instead hosted a reasonable priced wedding package that would feel real, intimate and natural. We did our research looked at the website descriptions, pictures and past reviews and decided that Mangos would be the one. And boy Mangos fitted the bill perfectly. The Manager, Carolyn Lloyd, worked with us very closely via long distance phone calls and email to ensure the multiple/various pre Big Day tasks were on track, and helped us shape the style and tone of our wedding day to ensure that we and our hotel staying and non hotel staying close family and friends would have the day of our lives.

Mangos Beach Resort is exactly what it says on the tin? If you want 5 star style leisure and accommodation (and who doesn’t) then there are many choices elsewhere. And Mangos as noted in past reviews is still a work in progress since it only reopened in March 2016. There is room for improvement in areas such as some rooms needing a bit more lighting during the evening, bathroom upgrades, larger beach towels, and a little bit more attention to regularly clearing the build-up of seaweed from the beach.

However those minor points are immensely dwarfed by the incredible natural beauty of the venue. From the moment you drive off the main busy high road down into a countryside road and then enter into the homely front courtyard you realise that the website pictures are for real and no illusion. The beauty of how this very intimate venue takes your breath away with its incredible colourful foliage of plants, flowers and vegetation surrounding and enveloping the bedroom units. The whole venue almost seems like it is slowly growing from within the greenery and jutting out reaching skywards towards the sun and sky. We stayed in an Upper floor room which overlooked the beach and ocean and was exactly what we needed. The rustic but very Jamaican style homely feel (with small modern touches) suited our needs on this trip, enabling us to wake up each sunny morning listening to the soothing waves of the ocean.

But the real stars of Mangos are the staff. From the moment we got off the minibus to our departure 10 days later, we were treated not as holiday makers but as real people. We never saw the usual false Plastic Smiles or bad attitudes that we have seen at many 5 star hotels. Instead staff members such as Princess, Tamika, Marvelene, Fayona, Twinkle, Rochelle, Nichola, Derval, Latoya, Coltia, Christine, Lipstick, Roland, McKenzie, Sylvester, etc. (and excuse me if I have not mentioned anyone especially the big gentle young giant of a man in reception) showed us and our family/friends immense warmth, humour, patience and respect. Nothing seemed too much to do on our behalf. An example was during my 2nd or 3rd morning I went to the reception very early to ask if I could somehow get some Insect/Mosquito repellent spray or ointment (I left mine at home) and cold remedy top deter an oncoming cold. This young lady went out and got me her own bottle of Insect Repellent and some Vitamin tablets.

We experienced some of the best drinks and Rum Cocktails that I have tasted and the food served up by Chef Martin was tasty and sumptuous. And for entertainment purposes David and especially Omar must be powered by Duracell batteries. Their high energy levels made sure that whatever time of the day it was, you felt their infectious positive vibes in entertaining our family/friends and external the guests without going over the top. And when he needed to be really focussed, Omar switched into his serious mode in relation to fine details relating to our impending wedding day. During our wedding reception he helped take the positive vibes of the occasion to another level by leading many of us during various up tempo classic dance moves.

The management, Carolyn and Stephen Callard, have given the staff members the room and space for them to just be naturally themselves and it shows. As for the wedding, well all I can say is that it was the ultimate positive day that we imagined it would be (well managed by Stephen and Carolyn), and the intimate beach-side location and reception venue along with the photography locations were perfect for us.

In closing, if you want smooth, clinical and spotless home comforts then find a 5 star hotel, no problem. But if you want to experience real genuine Jamaican hospitality along with a stunning visual physical venue and location then Mangos is the ONE.

Room tip: Top floor Ocean View rooms are the best, although rooms on ground floor block 1 are excellent too.
11  Thank Orin L
Reviewed September 25, 2016

This is a recently re-vamped non corporate Jamaican getaway.
My wife and I loved it for the welcome and how cheerful the staff were.
The Oceanfront Superior room was a great size with a really comfortable bed and a large balcony 30 ft from the sea (worth paying extra for)
A place to truely relax and chill,Seafood and Jamaican menu was extremely fresh and tasty the entertainment ranged from low key and fun to a somewhat frantic limbo dancing fire eater .
It was bar closed at 11pm but that was Ok as you couldn't spoil the next day and no-one wants a party outside your room at 3am! If you do go to the Holiday inn!
The staff are all genuinely committed hard working and smiling from ONeil the pool guy who brought some Aloe Vera from home to sooth bites and sunburn, Christine at the bar who was on a mission to keeping your glass full and Latza who went above and beyond good service for a poolside drink or snack.
Gary and Omar are true entertainers who always unobtrusively ensured that everyone was happy and having a good time.
Check out was 11am but they let us have the room till 4pm as we had a 7pm flight home and no additional charge was made which was cool.
We have never been so sad to come home at the end of a holiday.
I cheered myself with the prospect of returning again next year.....hopefully it will stay the same and feel like home.

Room tip: Pay the small surcharge for Oceanfront as the sound of the sea and the views are what a holiday is about.
11  Thank Mark H
Reviewed September 24, 2016 via mobile

Just had two weeks at Mangos, if you want a relaxed Jamaican break this is the place,Steve and his team went out of there way to give us a fun relaxing holiday , food delicious , drinks flowed and Omah and Gary made sure you had fun. One criticism I would not use Amstar for transfer and trip out , was not impressed with the service .

Date of stay: September 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
6  Thank Malcolm P
Reviewed September 23, 2016

My husband and I decided after 28 years together that we finally deserved a vacation. It was my first trip to the Caribbean and after much research online and speaking with friends who travel we decided on Mangos Jamaica. We could not be happier with our choice after spending a very relaxing week at this wonderful place. We loved the natural look of the buildings and surroundings. The balcony of our oceanfront room was literally on the beach with the sea a few feet below. Wow! If you are looking for the glitz and glamour of a high rise on the beach and fancy facilities this is not for you.

There are a few things the management could improve on that would truly make this resort a top notch experience for all of their guests. Even though it is a 3.5 rating, the staff and food make this a 5 star destination. They all made us feel fabulously welcome and genuinely cared if we were enjoying our stay. I cannot even begin to name all of them for fear that I would neglect to mention a single person as they all deserve so much credit for their extreme hospitality. Their love of their country and wanting to share its beauty makes me want to be Jamaican.

The food is scrumptious. The drinks are yummy. The room was clean and spacious. The bed was extremely comfortable. The gardens are beautiful and kept us busy finding new things every time we strolled around. We were there to relax which was exactly what we did for 7 days. We hope we will get a chance to return and try to visit more of Jamaica. I was so relaxed when it was time to go that I left my suitcase behind in the lobby. My husband had to take a taxi back from the airport to collect it for me … a good laugh to end our trip as I am not the type to be so careless. Friends asked if I was concerned with leaving my stuff behind … absolutely 100% never doubted that the Mangos Professional Team would not care for my belongings as if they were their own.

We must go back as we have 2 regrets. I did not get the fresh mango off a tree which I was looking forward to prior to going (next year August?). My husband did not get the Pepper Pot soup recipe from the chef ! MMMmmmmm …. It’s fall here now at home and we could certainly use some of that soup!!

Love you Team Mangos … you are all Irie mon ! Peace, love, unity and respect to all !!

8  Thank L00nies
Reviewed September 21, 2016

Reading the recent reviews lots of people seem to be disappointed with the standard of accommodation at Mangos but I think this is mainly down to the agents they booked with raising expectations with questionable 4 & 5 star ratings. Most of the guests during our stay were from the UK and booked through Voyage Prive & Secret Escapes and we all expected 4/5-star accommodation as a result of their descriptions. But, I have to say, despite this slight disappointment we had one of the best holidays we've ever had (and we've stayed in many 5-star hotels around the world) and this was purely down to the fantastic management and staff at the hotel. Its an often used cliché to say "we were made to feel like family" but there is no other way to describe the superior service we experienced at Mangos. Ok, the rooms are slightly dull and the bathrooms desperately need replacing but those issues are being addressed and you quickly realise how insignificant these things are as you become immersed in the extraordinary character of the place and the warmth and welcoming nature of the people.

A big thank you to all the ladies who served at breakfast, lunch and dinner; to the bar staff who refilled your glass before you even noticed it was empty! To Steven and Carolyn for taking the time to get to know everyone of us, making sure our every need was catered for, and going that extra mile (or, in my case, the several extra miles to the bank in Falmouth!). To the behind the scenes staff such as the chefs, the maids, and the relentlessly hard working guys who cleaned the beach every day, and of course, despite being regularly humiliated by them taking part in the evening entertainment, we shall never forget the 2 guys who are so brilliant at their jobs and made the trip so memorable - Gary and Omar - thank you.

As for the location, the food, etc. there's not really much to add to what other reviewers have reported other than to agree they are outstanding.

Would we return to Mangos? If the world wasn't such a big place, without a doubt.
Yeah man!

Room tip: Oceanview rooms offer the best views
14  Thank alanb17