“Royal Caribbean Port”

Cruise Shore Excursions Jamaica
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Cruise Shore Excursions Jamaica offer affordable, hospitable and customer friendly service to all travelers and guests. We are a company committed to provide prompt, efficient and effective transportation and tours in and around Jamaica regardless of your destination. We are in business to serve, and ensure that all of our guests receive the true Jamaican experience. Looking for the best? Look no further, because at Cruise Shore Excursions Jamaica your search ends with us and the journey around Jamaica begins. all our Vehicles are licensed by the Jamaica Tourist Board Association and are fully insured. Your encounter with us will not be forgotten because we understand what all travelers are looking for. Come to Jamaica and feel alright!
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children
tulsa
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 200 helpful votes
“Royal Caribbean Port”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Well let me preface this by saying, some people will like it, some people will not. I simply gave it 4 stars because the port is not at all bad, there is just not much to do. Please read on.....

This port is totally sealed off and secure from the rest of the country. Keep this in mind.

The ship is able to dack right next to the port so unlike Cozumel or Cayman you don't have far to walk or you don't have to tinder into the port. The entire port is owned and operated by Royal Caribbean so everything and everyone is clean, shiny, and new. The entire place is a location to sell toruists things. We did buy some jamaican spices and sauces in a shop that was really jamaican and they were priced very well. Many of the items were priced reasonably well. The port is divided into a couple of parts as far as shopping goes. One part is set up like an outdoor mall where you have individual shops witha theme. All of those are very nice and clean. No one is pressing you to buy anything. At the time I was there not all of the shops were occupied, they are probably by now. The second part (the part I enjoyed) was setup like an open air markett. Here is where you can make deals and find some hand made stuff and things that are not simply retail souveniers. I spent some time in this area, the people were very friendly and if you wanted things for adults to grand kids... you could find it. The place is not really large but not small by any means.

Now for the critical...

There is or at the time was not a place to eact except for a hot dog stand. Really? The place has some places to sit but there is no beach area and you can not even see the ocean from the port. There is not really anything beautiful about the area. The beauty is located in the resorts or montego bay. Keep in mind you are in a third world country so this port is sealed off from the rest of the country. If you were on the ship you could see just beyond the gates of the port, the town was really run down and there were many locals just waiting to pounce on the first unsuspecting tourist to sell them something or who knows what.

If you are taking an excursion that the cruise line books for you, you are very safe. Your transportation comes into the secure area of the port and picks you up. you do not have to leave the area on your own. If you take a cab you will have to get a cab driver from the port and endure the locals... Some friends of ours cabbed to Montego Bay and did not take an excursion. She said it was quite an experience just getting to this mans cab but he kept the locals away and they were able to get to their destination. They did have a great time after getting away from the port. Not everything is bad about jamaica. There are just lots of locals next to the port that want to get money out of you by doing or selling you anything... and I mean anything. The further away from the port you get the better it gets but you can not ever let your guard down. You are still a tourist and you probably have something they want and that is dollars.

So to sum up my stop in Jamaica. Either plan to shop in the port or book an excursion. If this is your first time... you might enjoy the port for an hour or so.

The next time I go there I am going to an all inclusive resort that is affiliated with the cruise line. I understand Beaches is owned or operated by RCCL. People I know have gone that route and say it is absolutely wonderful. They are allowed to come into the secure area and pick you up. They take you there and for one price it is all the play and eat you can handle for the entire day and they guarantee you they will have you back at the ship before they set sail.

Strong Advice:
Jamaica is definately a place that I would not go out on my own and definately do not ever go by yourself. A 20 yr old female went missing on the cruise I was on because she left the port and went into town on foot by herself. I never found out what became of this person but security was helping the parents look at the time we pulled out of port.

The port is a great place to shop. Very safe and secure. You can go by yourself anywhere in the port. You can leave the port and as long as you stay in groups and do something that you have planned or booked, you will have a great time.

Falmouth, small taste of Jamaica

Visited October 2012
77 Thank nighttalk

West Palm Beach, Florida
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Stay on the ship or cab to Montego Bay, Falmouth is not a city to spend time in.”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We are frequent cruisers and now really only cruise on the Allure or the Oasis out of Ft.Lauderdale so we have traveled to all the stops in the Western and Eastern Caribbean numerous times. This is one of those stops that has been built just for the cruise ship and isn't a city you want to spend time in. You exit the ship into the terminal area where all the street vendors and peddlers are, it has been set up and built just for the cruise ships so its safe. Once to leave that are the city of Falmouth is very ghetto, I wouldn't consider it safe and there isn't really anything to see there. If this is a cruise stop for you I would get off buy some trinkets if that is your thing and then get back on the ship and relax or take a cab to Montego Bay or somewhere worth seeing in Jamaica.

Visited February 2013
18 Thank Jennifer C
Jamestown, Tennessee
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“tubing rio bueno”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Took about a 30 min ride on an air conditioned tour van, allowing a glimpse of "real" Jamaica. Went to an unmarked starting point where we signed releases, donned life jackets and helmets then rafters, guides and tubers crossed a rickety bridge and hiked about 7-8 minutes, carrying our tubes to a starting point. Our guide swam along side us on a boogy board, guiding us so we avoided rafters, rocks, and shore. At one point, a rope swing was made available, to which we passed on(river was a bit too chilly for our liking) then, before river meets caribbean, we get out of our tubes and stand in the river until everyone catches up to us. At this time we wait for a motor boat to come and we all pile into the rafts that were used (which are now tied together for a tow). Two neighborhood children jump into the river to deflate the tubes while we are all towed into the ocean to the shore where "beach time" was available as well as snacks (for a fee), showers, restrooms and souveniers. It all seemed very primitive, yet I did not feel unsafe at all. After tubing, would have rather just been driven back to pier (as did most people it seemed). But overall, an enjoyable excursion.

Visited June 2013
5 Thank NickAlixMom
Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Patrice Bailey”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Awesome gal, great tour guide. Cant say enough about her. She's exactly who you want, when you want her and she makes it a point to take care of each person in the group. She has many surprises and makes Jamaica soooo worth visiting again!

Visited May 2013
18 Thank Chris M
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Patrice Bailey from Patmar Tours - Amazing Tour - Fantastic Lady”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

If you want an amazing tour with an amazing guide while in Jamaica, you have to spend some time with Patrice Bailey of Patmar Tours. With an upcoming trip to Jamaica with best friends on the horizon, one of my friends did some research into hiring a private driver from the airport to the resort rather than taking the normal bus. During her research, she started to notice a number of references regarding an amazing driver named Patrice, who was praised for her passionate devotion to making sure her clients received the best care whilst in her charge. My friend and her husband booked with Patrice and quickly found that she was everything the earlier reviews said about her, and more. In that 30 minute ride from the airport to the resort, they knew without doubt that Patrice was the perfect driver for the 4 of us on our upcoming shopping trip/tour of Montego Bay/Falmouth and rafting along the Martha Brae later in the week. After discussing the idea with us, we booked with Patrice.

Patrice picked us up on time, met us with a smile, and was full of energy to show off her beloved country to people who were eager to experience it. She had Red Stripe, soda, and water in the car ready for us. She took us to the Martha Brae river rafting facility, pointing out all along the way, the history and points of interest. When we got to the facility, she took the lead, talking to the managers there telling them that we were VIPs and wanted to make sure that we received the best in service from them. She even went as far to personally talk to the raft captains, to ensure a pleasant trip.

She took us shopping and suggested several areas where we could receive the best merchandise as well as the best price. In each store, she took the lead to bargain with the merchants to get us a better price than even we had negotiated. Statements like, "Oh you can do better than that," or "No mon, I need your best price" were the norm. It didn't matter if it was a shopping area she picked or we picked, she was the same.

Since it was also my birthday, Patrice was working to help me find something that would wow me and make my day special. By the end of shopping, I still hadn't found that special gift for myself. During a rum tasting, Patrice suggested that I try a 25 yr old rum which was indeed one of the smoothest rums I have ever tasted. However, I was in no mood to pay the $60 for it. I'm just not that big a rum drinker. And with that, we went on to the next place. Every now and then, Patrice would ask me, "so you found anything to wow you yet?"

When it was time for lunch, the restaurant we picked out was quite crowded. Patrice said, "Wait here," and went in to talk to a restaurant manager. She soon returned and walked us to a table, ahead of everyone else. She then took our orders and went to the kitchen, a little while later, she returned with the food.

Patrice then took is on a tour of the Falmouth and Montego Bay ares, with stops at the White Witch Golf Club - a former plantation with breathtaking views, famous celebrity homes, tours of some upscale working class neighborhoods (an interesting contrast to the unfortunate neighborhoods with shacks you normally see along the roads), a trip to the former Dewers mansion which sits on a hill overlooking Montego Bay with a panoramic view of the city, and then drove some of of the crowded streets of Mongeo Bay. Everywhere we went, everyone seemed to know Patrice; managers, shop owners, people along the streets - everyone knows Patrice.

She watched over us like a mother hen, keeping an eye on us even when we split up and wandered off. For dinner, Patrice suggested, Chill-Out, a restaurant with great food, ambiance, and timed just right, a beautiful sunset. We ate dinner on the beach and never thought for a minute not to include Patrice. She had become a beloved member of our little group. Dinner was phenomenal, and the company spectacular. We, and Patrice, shared stories about one another and our previous trips to Jamaica. Toward the end of dinner, the waitstaff came to the table singing happy birthday to me and in their hands, they held the $60 bottle of rum Patrice had purchased for me as a gift. I was truly wowed by her compassion for her customer and her generosity.

Patrice was more than our driver. She was representative of all that's great about the Jamaican people. She is driven by a passion to deliver excellent customer service and provide an extraordinary experience to her clients. Patrice will drive all across Jamaica to meet her clients and usually has a waiting list of people who will only ride with Patrice. We now count ourselves in that group. Contact Patrice at 876-612-0120 or patbailey52@yahoo.com

Visited April 2013