“a great little getaway” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 5 Falmouth B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“a great little getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

my husband and I send 7 days there had a wonderful time, the place was well kept and very clean we stayed in room # 3 had a great balcony view the overall scenery was just amazing we had our complementary breakfast, housekeeping did an excellent job at keeping our room clean our host (MS Joyce) was very warm and friendly plus it was away from the rush and not too crowded just what the name say a nice little "retreat" which was exactly what we were looking for I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: choose a room on the top floor that faces falmouth
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

i stayed for two weeks for my 25th birthday with my friend and i must say it was probably the best two weeks of my life. the food was superb. rooms beautiful clean. service was really nice. i would reccomend getting a taxi number if wanting to go out in the evening as it is a quiet peaceful property in the hills. stunning views of the sea and the hills . a great experience. for my birthday i wanted a massage and the lady who is the manager was able to arrange a massuese to come to the property for a couple hours and give me and my friend a full body massage for a reasonable price by the pool and the jacuzzi. it was an incredible and relaxing day. well recommended if you like relaxation

Room Tip: the master suite room is amazing.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

I and family members spent 6 days in November 2013 at the guesthouse. We soon found that guesthouse was not as it advertises. From day one it was clear that it fell significantly short of how it portrays itself on the web. My list of bad experiences at the so-called 'retreat guesthouse' is extensive though I will try to keep this as short as possible to help others from making the mistake of booking it. I include pictures as evidence of my experience. But suffice to say its provisions, location, and service all were not something I would recommend to anyone. I list my points of dissatisfaction:
1.The map shown as to its location from the sea is deceiving. It is further than what is shown. The guesthouse is NOT within walking distance to the sea or any other places of interest including Falmouth, Montego Bay. You are reliant on transport, taxi or own private transport. Walking in the neighbourhood, day or night, as a tourist is not seen as safe so this was not an option.
2. There are dogs barking directly opposite the guest house, strays and those owned by the neighbour. They barked late into the night and early morning daily for all of my 6 days I was there. Broken sleep and very irritating.
3. The hotel advertises free breakfast, hi speed internet, spa bath tub in room,room service, cable tv, jazuzzi in garden. The reality is disappointingly very different. Breakfast is only free if it is 'continental'. By 'continental' the owner, Joyce, provides only toast and tea/coffee. The other alternative breakfast is Jamaican Breakfast, which I later found out that there is a $10 charge for per head. The owner failed to mention that there are these 2 breakfasts on offer, the latter one with a charge. In fact she encouraged us in having the Jamaican Breakfast without mentioning the cost attached which I only found out when I queried with her why she was charging for breakfast when my stay includes free breakfast! ; Wi-fi is virtually non-existent in the guesthouse. The only location where it was somewhat received was on some tables within the dining area , even then it kept cutting off due to a very poor intermediate signal. No wi-fi can be located in the bedroom I stayed in or other parts of the house I tried; spa bath tub in the room did not work. It was not fixed despite mentioning it to the owner a few occasions during our stay and her promise of it being fixed; jacuzzi in the garden was switched off during the stay. The owner initially said it was not working then later stated it is too expensive to fill when there are only a few guests at the hotel. She therefore refused to put it on; very poor television/cable reception in the bedroom, limited choice of channels due to poor reception/picture quality on much of them made them unwatchable; simple cd player in the room for entertainment aside from the TV, room service? With no telephone in the bedroom you're left with the task of running up and down the stairs to tell the owner what you want, that is when she's there (see pictures)
4. The shower head holder was broken in the bedroom and the water emitted from is was very poor with dribbles from one or two jets. This was mentioned to the owner who said it could not be fixed during out stay. This left the only option of when having a shower to manually hold the shower head up with one hand. (see picture)
5. The toilet kept running after being flushed. Again the owner said she would get someone to look at it though no-one did come and look at it aside from the owner.
6. The owner said she wanted to charge extra to cover her costs for me wanting to pay by card as opposed to cash for additional hotel bills (i.e. dinner/breakfast).
7. A electrical live wire in the bedroom lamp was sticking out which had the danger of electrocution. My brother ( an electrician) spotted this when looking as to why the lamp was not switching on. The owner was made aware of this though nothing was done to rectify the problem. (see picture)
8. There is an extra charge for a/c to be switched on in the room
9. There was no kettle for tea/coffee provided in the bedroom despite asking for this. Instead after 3 days a flask of hot water was provided as an alternative! (see picture)
10. No telephone in the bedroom

I'm struggling to say anything positive as to the experience and I felt I should let others know as to just how bad it was there. It is very deceiving as how it is advertised.Take my advise you're better off in a standard hotel. Not worth the stay and best avoided.

Room Tip: Don't bother. Find a hotel near in the resort instead!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank wonder_bliss
Sarasota, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

I stayed at this little Guesthouse in the hills above Falmouth for one night on November 18 2013. It was probably my mistake not noticing that not every room is air conditioned. My room (#2) was not. It was 86 degrees at 5:00 p.m. when I checked in. The ceiling fan was working poorly so the owner brought in a second fan to "cool things down a bit more." This required that the two samll windows be opened to allow some circulation. That, in turned, opened the door for having to listen to the neighbhors dog bark most of the night. By sunrise (when the dog started barking again) my room had cooled off to 82 degrees so I guess it had cooled a bit. However I had at most 3 hours of sleep. It was not a pleasant experience. Again, it was my mistake that I assumed everything was air conditioned. However for $50 a night (without breakfast) what can you expect. Bring ear plugs if you stay here!

Room Tip: Bring cold compresses and ear plugs if you are in room 2
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Jamaica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

A little escape. Tucked away. Good for privacy. You need a car though. Due to location. Marlene is a gem! Quite helpful and friendly. Breakfast was good and included. Jamaican breakfast! :) A very homey feel. In a residential area. Nice artwork everywhere. My stay was short but pleasant. My room had a view overlooking pool and the town of Falmouth and the sea.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

first let me say that i just read the review by someone who scheduled their wedding party "on short notice" and suffice to say that for a wedding, booking anywhere on short notice, how about taking some responsibility for the results?? the dog bothered that reviewer! are you kidding us? enough on that. the Retreat is a mansion. it is beautiful. the owner has basically created a lovely jamaican home and invited us to enjoy it in a manner rarely available to the average tourist. Years ago i was fortunate to be invited to stay in a french chateau. 200 years of the essence of france that you rarely have the opportunity to experience (speaking for myself). the Retreat will provide the lucky traveler staying there with a very very special taste of this beautiful island and their people.

Room Tip: ask to stay on the side with a view of falmouth and its harbor with the mountains nearby.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

I rented the entire house for a wedding and not only did they overcharge for EVERYTHING, the service was poor, the house caretaker was not hospitable and very aggressive. We were not asked what we wanted for meals, but they had menus in the rooms, when we asked to place orders she gave an attitude. They did not clean the rooms or common area bathrooms the entire weekend, we had to ask for new linens for the beds. The house is not equipped for a wedding and I had to pay extra just to make the house and grounds more appealing for photos, the homeowner was extremely aggressive and was not accomodating to many things. The facility says no PETS but there is a dog there that is under the car port everyday. The house has NO A/C in majority of the rooms and there is an additional charge for using the a/c in the two rooms that has it. They were to accomodate for beach runs, but were not available to transport without charging a fee. The house is also not walking distance to beach, the walk is very far down a steep hill as the house is in the middle of nowwhere. Because of the last minute arrangements I was stuck, but I promise that I will stay at one of the local resorts next time. Although the view is beautiful, the house itself and the service is very misleading.

Room Tip: majority of the rooms do not have A/C.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank nadinef007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Half Moon
Half Moon
#2 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,987 reviews

Been to Retreat Guesthouse Luxury Suites? Share your experiences!