“Peaceful and enjoyable!”

Ranked #1 of 6 Falmouth B&B and Inns
Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, Mexico
“Peaceful and enjoyable!”
Reviewed March 7, 2012

I stayed couple of nights at the Retreat Ghesthouse and had such calm and easy stay..felt so rested after all that happen in Jamaica with my cruise ship.Joyce was very supportive and she can pick you from the airport and take you everywhere. The night is so silent and beautiful landscape with dense forest and the sea down there in Falmouth village!!! The house is very elegant top notch Jamaican and a very good homemade food. Joyce and the employees are very accomodating making you feel very comfy!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Alexandre C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed February 28, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 5 days during the Jamaican Jazz Festival.
It was a wonderful stay. Joyce and her staff accomdated our every need.
We had a large room with a queen bed overlooking the forest. The bed
was very comfortable and the bathroom clean and tidy. A small
balcony was handy for catching some sun. The large ceiling fan
kept us adequately cool. We had breakfast there most days and
really enjoyed the fish, cinnamon flavoured porridge and the
fresh fruit served by Marlene with a smile. Marlene also did
a great job on our laundry and let us store our wine and beer
In the kithcen fridge for easy access. We chatted with Ken and Tepi
who filled us in on the local information. Joyce lent us a roadmap
so we could drive to Nine Mile home of Bob Marley. We hung out most
days at the Fallmouth public beach, a 5 min drive from the Guesthouse.
We enjoyed meeting Baby Shaggy and all his friends on the beach.
The Glistening Waters and the Fisherman's Inn restaurants are excellent
and a 15 min drive away. Only drawbacks are the location (isolated on
a hill, you do need a car) and, the lack of a swimming pool. If you want
an authentic Jamaican experience,stay here (rather than at an all-incusive).
We would definetly return. Oh, an Celine Dione knocked 'em out at Jazzfest!

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank MorganDW
Kirchheim bei Munich, Germany
Reviewed February 7, 2012

We only stayed one night at the Guesthouse but it was one of our best stays in Jamaica. The rooms are completely new, very clean and beautiful. All rooms are located at the first floor of a big and new built private house. The interior design of the house is very beautiful and luxurious. Although the kitchen is very clean and the breakfast delicious. The owners of the house are very very nice and treat you like family. They try their best to make all your wishes come true. The house is romantically located on a hill from were you have a wonderful view over Falmouth and the see. It is not in down town, but believe me, you don`t want to stay down town.
I would love to stay some more nights and I would always come again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Feinschmeckerijn
Hampton Bays, New York
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I just spent a week on top of the hill at the Retreat Guesthouse and it was amazing. It is a special place that has a lot to offer. This is a real top notch Jamaican retreat. The decor and grounds are beautiful, the views are amazing. They are unobstructed to the new cruise ship port in Falmouth. And to kick it off the food is over the top real Jamaican home cooked fare.

If you are looking for a hot spot resort with clubs and volleyball courts this is not for you. This spot offers a safe, quiet, clean place to relax, sleep, eat and call home. It is a great place to come back to after a day on the beach or after one of the numerous day trips that are available.

The owner, Joyce makes you feel right at home. She offers shuttles to the beach if you don't feel like walking and can arrange what ever it is you may want to do. I have been to Jamaica over 8 times and this was one of my best trips. I will be back to the Retreat Guesthouse with my family and friends. I highly recommend all to come and get a real Jamaican experience... not an all inclusive behind the walls look at Jamaica.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Stephen R
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 5, 2012

My intention is not to bash this place but to tell the truth. Expedia says AC in public areas but that is a lie. There is no air conditioning. The water never gets hot, after 5 mins of letting it run, it will eventually get luke warm. The lady that owns it is not very nice most of the time. If you leave your windows open to get a breeze in your room, several bugs will come into your room. The house is beautiful and it did allow me to see the real side of jamaica by not being at the mainstream hotels, but there are certain things you get used to having and there are also customer service expectations that I have. If you can deal with these things by all means book this place but if not don't make the mistake I did.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank kel25cg12
Gonzales, Louisiana
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Rooms are beautiful and spacious, breakfast was excellent. You will need a car to get around and enjoy the area. Beautiful beach is 20 min walk, we preferred to walk, shuttle is provided.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed November 26, 2011

A friend and I had a very nice stay at Retreat Guesthouse Luxury Suites. The setting is in a residential neighborhood overlooking Falmouth on the North Coast of Jamaica. Locating the guesthouse can be tricky as signage is very worn and difficult to spot and the road in is very narrow. Once there, though, the view from the balconies is quite stunning and extremely quiet. We also found out about the local tourist spot "Glistening Waters" which is home to "dinoflagellates," a microscopic organism that puts off a fluorescent glow when the water they are in is disturbed. I took a brief swim in the brackish, slightly salty water to see the effect and enjoyed the experience. The Guesthouse room and bathroom were quite large with a shared balcony that unfortunately lacked chairs to sit in, so we grabbed a bench from our room and the adjoining room. In November during the Thanksgiving holiday, the place was almost deserted so it was extra quiet. Wifi service was available in the dining room, but not in the guest room. The owner and staff were very friendly and accommodating. The only negative issue involved the cost. I booked the room for myself, expecting to go on my own, for $60 US, the rate quoted for one person on several sites including the Guesthouse's own site. My friend decided to join me at the last minute so I phoned ahead and informed the owner. I misunderstood her comment to me that the rate for my extra guest would be "the same" which I interpreted would be at no additional cost. When I arrived, the cost was "the same" in the sense that my friend would also pay $60 to stay the night sharing the room with me. The owner was kind enough to "not charge" taxes on the total, which is not insubstantial (17.5%), but the problem arose when I returned home and checked various websites including the Guesthouse's own site and found that the double rate is listed as $75 for a double, not $120! Other than this disappointment, we were very pleased with the overall service, location, and amenities. We were provided with tea and toast in the morning without an additional charge so perhaps that was the reason for the additional $45 room rate. In any event, I would probably return as long as I confirmed the price in advance to make sure I was getting the current listed rate. Also, I would recommend that you stay here if you have your own transportation, as it is too far from any other areas to easily get to without a vehicle of some sort.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dynamotor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Fisherman's Inn
Fisherman's Inn
#3 of 6 in Falmouth
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Retreat Guesthouse Luxury Suites? Share your experiences!