“Always worth a visit”
Review of The Tempest Arms

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Elslack
The Tempest Arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Elslack
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Good solid pub/restaurant. Well kept beers and quality food. Portions are large, which can be off putting for those with smaller appetite. Regularly have our work's christmas meal at the Tempest Arms, but also have been with wife and friends for a meal. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Andrew C
nitramYorkshire, Owner at The Tempest Arms, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Andrew thank you for your lovely review and for taking the time to tell us!
I will certainly pass on your comments to our team!
Till next time best wishes from us all!

Reviewed February 17, 2014

This is how a pub should be run! Good beer, great food and fantastic accommodation. Staff were all very pleasant, worked hard and obviously enjoyed their jobs. I truly can't think of anything that wasn't first rate. My only regret was that the main course portions were so huge that I didn't get anywhere near the dessert menu over four days! Martin, the owner, was always ready for a chat and gave good advice on where to visit in the locality. We will probably be back in the Summer.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GaryVF1

Thank you so much for your great review we are chuffed you enjoyed you visit and I will certainly will pass on your comments to our team!

Best wishes Martin

Reviewed February 17, 2014

This is our fourth stay at The Tempest Arms and it is as consistent as our other visits. We stayed in Room 16, which overlooks the little stream at the back. This is a beautiful room, with a HUGE bed and lovely décor. As it was Valentines weekend, we were given a bottle of Prosecco when we checked in, and a lovely box of Whittakers chocolates waiting in our room.

As always, you are guaranteed a lovely welcome by the reception staff and this continues throughout.

The food, as ever was delicious. You do have to wait, but this wasn't a problem, as you know your food is freshly cooked and is definitely worth the wait. There is an extensive menu, plus a specials sheet too. We already decided that we were going to have a dessert, so we unfortunately skipped the starters as they were very tempting! I had the liver and bacon with onion gravy and baby roast potatoes, which was delicious! My hubby had the lasagne (for the fourth time!!) which he devoured!! We went for the Yorkshire parkin and Snickers ice cream, and jam roly poly and custard. We were thoroughly stuffed and crawled to our room afterwards! We were going to have a nightcap in the lovely cosy bar, but couldn't face anything else!

The breakfast, too is delicious with plenty of choice, from an array of cereals, fruit, yoghurt's etc. There is a choice of hot food too, ranging from porridge to a full English. I was disappointed as the omelette wasn't on the menu, but I asked the lovely waiter, and he said he was sure the chef wouldn't mind. I said I didn't want to be any trouble and gave him another option. But several minutes later, my omelette appeared! I have never tasted one like it-so light, fluffy and delicious! So I would like to thank the chef and "courteous" Stuart for making me happy! He'd worked the night before too, but still had a smile on his face and had a laugh and a joke with us and other guests, which is lovely to see these days!

Nothing is too much trouble and everything is done with a smile, which makes the Tempest such a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank holly2512
nitramYorkshire, Manager at The Tempest Arms, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

We do too! THANK YOU for your super review we are thrilled that you love the old place and all we do! It really does make our day! Once again cheers!

Reviewed February 10, 2014

Stayed here for one night on the 9th of feb in suite 11, was absolutely delighted by the room and the service of the staff, food in the restaurant was beautiful and couldn't be faulted at all, had room service the morning after but wasn't expecting g to be able to have anything at such short notice as I hadn't booked the night before, however the woman I spoke to said it would t be a problem and ten mins later it arrived and was lovely. Gorgeous place and would definitely go back! X

• Stayed: February 2014
nitramYorkshire, General Manager at The Tempest Arms, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

SPOT ON Just what we like hear! Thank you for your lovely review we are all thrilled you have had a wonderful time. We look forward to welcoming you again very soon!

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Wonderful menu. Large portions so go hungry. Food very well cooked. Staff very efficient. Prices not bad. Beer and wine very good. Booking advisable as it was very busy right until 5ish. And don't worry, you're ok in casual clothes.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Urban400
nitramYorkshire, Manager at The Tempest Arms, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2014

Easy laid back friendly service, great food and super portions! Thats us! Cheers for your review and we certainly look forward to seeing you again very soon! Team Tempest!

Reviewed January 31, 2014

I've just spent 4 days here.

A very, very, nice place to stay with well furnished rooms, hot showers in a nice clean bathroom and complimentary flapjacks with your room coffee set. And free cake at Reception.

The food is outstandingly good, with a huge menu. And another huge menu that changes daily.

And the steak and mushroom suet pudding is huge too. They don't serve it on a plate - two of the staff roll it out of the kitchen and then hoist it onto your table with ropes and pulleys..... I simply had to have another one on a different night, it was that good.

The dining room is like the rest of the hotel, attractively furnished with a relaxed atmosphere. Even when all the tables are full it does not feel crammed in and claustrophobic like some places. however I strongly recommend booking in advance for meals, this is a VERY busy venue. Waiting times for meals to be served were fine, although if you want your meals 'on demand' as some rather tiresome folk seem to prefer - stick to McDonalds ;)

The bar is a good one, again, it can get very busy. Four handpulled ales on - all well kept. Nice open fires and comfortable seating in a relaxed atmosphere.

And the staff? They are very, very efficient with a brisk and friendly manner about them.
To sit in a corner with a drink and watch them working should be a requirement for anyone wanting to know how dining room and bar work should be done. They are busy all the time, even when trade slackens off they are looking for jobs to do. The same applies to the reception staff and the cleaners. Nothing seems to phase them and they keep the place running with the minimum of fuss and a lot of enthusiasm. Lovely people. If I was the owner, I'd be very proud of them.

Would I go back? Too damn right, I'm looking for excuses to fly back down from Shetland already........

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank LeeCartwright
nitramYorkshire, Owner at The Tempest Arms, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2014

I AM VERY PROUD! Thank you for your wonderful review we are chuffed to bits that we have given you such great memories! here's to next time! From us all at the Tempest! And me too! Martin

Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

Stayed the night for work related reasons. Very comfortable room but only a narrow shower cubicle. Free wifi is good. Service excellent. Restaurant is the high point, make sure you fast before eating. Portions are large. Interesting country menu featuring partridge and pheasant steaks and vegetarian dishes. Fried whitebait with aïoli dip was an excellent start, beer excellent and reasonable wines. Although very busy, book well in advance, the ambiance was good and to my delight, being slightly deaf, I could still carry out a conversation without raising my voice. The coffee was good at breakfast with an adequate choice of healthy food or the full breakfast, the latter being tasty apart from a rather bland sausage. I would definitely go back and recommend that readers give it a go.

• Stayed: January 2014

THANK YOU so much for your wonderful review! Sausage note passed on to the chef!
We look forward to seeing you again very soon! Veronica and the team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Elslack
Herriots Hotel
The Old Stone Trough
The Old Stone Trough
#1 of 1 in Kelbrook
The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa

Been to The Tempest Arms? Share your experiences!