“Gem found by accident.”
Review of The Cricketers

The Cricketers
Ranked #8 of 23 Restaurants in Ingatestone
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Lovely rural Essex pub, serving a wide selection of beers and wines along with lunch and dinner daily. We pride ourselves on our locally sourced ingredients and suppliers. Dogs welcome!
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Just great. Could wax lyrical but won’t waste your time. Excellent young ladies behind the bar. Nothing to much trouble. Good hot honest food. Delicious gin and tonic. Proper chips. Spotlessly clean throughout. Couldn’t fault it. Just wished we lived nearer. Thank you all for a lovely lunch. I will be back. To those who live locally I would beat a path to the cricketers and keep a good English pub thriving.
After a career in the trade I know how hard this game can be. Keep it up girls you are a credit. X

Date of visit: September 2019
CricksMG, Public Relations Manager at The Cricketers, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Hi Graham S

Thank you taking the time to write such a lovely review - we wish you lived nearer too - just keep recommending from afar!

I'll make sure all the girls behind the bar (and everyone in the kitchen) know how much they're appreciated - it's always good to be told.

We look forward to your next visit.

Write a reviewReviews (129)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Fantastic location in rural Essex. Lovely atmosphere and very very friendly staff. It felt at times like you were receiving a personal service. The food however was very slow even though we were required to pre book. Meals were ok, well presented, sufficient quantity, just as you’d expect on a Sunday afternoon. We were in good relaxed company and the friendly staff made up for the pace and mediocre food.

Date of visit: September 2019
CricksMG, Public Relations Manager at The Cricketers, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi JosephG

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm sorry things were slow on Sunday - it was exceptionally busy and we were a little shorthanded, not that that should be an excuse, but I'm so glad the staff made up for the pace.

I hope you visit us again.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Really helpful and friendly staff. Visited on a Sunday afternoon but didn't want a main meal so staff suggested a range of snacks and starters which they worked around my need for gluten free dishes. Really enjoyed our visit

Date of visit: August 2019
CricksMG, Public Relations Manager at The Cricketers, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi Karen C

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I'm delighted you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed September 5, 2019

A group of friends and I had a fabulous time at The Cricketers Greek night. It is such a wonderful thing that the pub bothers to put on events like this, bringing everyone in the community together. I don't think I have seen so many happy smiling faces in a long time! The entertainment was provided by traditional greek musicians (that I understand the previous landlady used to hire) and plenty of people enjoyed dancing.
The food was totally delicious and authentic- well done chef Lee.
The service was spot on with very pleasant waiting staff.
I hope we can expect more events like this - well done to all involved and thank for a great evening!

Date of visit: September 2019
CricksMG, Public Relations Manager at The Cricketers, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2019

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review - we were delighted with the Greek Night - it went as well as we hoped it would and they will be returning next year!

I'll make sure Lee our Head Chef reads your comments about the menu, it took lots of planning.

Thank you again - look forward to seeing you soon.

Fiona

Reviewed August 26, 2019 via mobile

Back in June we visited for Sunday lunch at the suggestion of our friends. It was a delicious meal and we couldn’t find anything to criticise.
So recently we took some other friends there to entertain again for a Sunday lunch. Our drinks were served promptly after a warm welcome. Then we waited a long time for our order to be taken and a very long time for it to arrive. Our reservation was for 1.30 and we didn’t start eating until 2.30! We ordered desserts and had to enquire where they were. The order had been “lost” and when it arrived one dish was incorrect. We were offered tea or coffee on the house but declined in view of the time.
While the desserts were delicious the main courses were not. The beef and lamb were dry and tough and the roast potatoes were dry and hard.
We said nothing about any of this to avoid embarrassment in front of our friends. They had travelled a long way and our intention was to treat them to a good lunch. All in all The Cricketers has done itself no favours as we shan’t be returning.

Date of visit: August 2019
CricksMG, Manager at The Cricketers, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2019

Dear annabelleliz

Thank you for taking the time to write a review - all I can do on this occasion is to apologise - we messed up! It happens rarely so when it does we need to acknowledge your criticism.

I've spoken to the Kitchen and front of house staff and can completely understand your disappointment.
The kitchen was overwhelmed with orders which all went in at the same time and we didn't manage the service.

I do hope you will give us another chance to change your mind - especially as you've visited before and on this occasion you were more than happy.

Many thanks