“Just average.”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I would like to start by saying how incredibly hard the staff work but there are just not enough of them. I have eaten at several Wetherspoons & they all have organised bar areas except this one. There is no separate area for ordering food & drink & if you get served within 10 minutes it is a miracle. This is during a fairly quiet time & when it is busy it takes an age to be served, there is no organised way to queue & people try & push in. Again not enough staff & this really should be looked into as the management are to blame.
The food is average but you know what to expect with this type of pub. My main issue is warm food, never hot & I have mentioned this to the staff several times, they just say sorry but the problem is ongoing. The chips are also under cooked with a certain chef. I have eaten here many times so never order chips & know meals like chilli, curry etc will be warmer than other choices. We eat here less & less because I would rather pay more & get better quality food.
On the plus side the staff spend hours cleaning the kitchen when it is closed & the whole building does seem to be kept clean. The design of the building is great & it is a very nice looking building.
The Willow Tree has been open over a year now & it is about time they employed more staff & started listening to customers comments about queues & warm food.

2  Thank mandy612465

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Having visited the willow tree out of curiosity in the first week I was pleasantly surprised. Well renouned cheap drinks and food. Not being a huge drinker I was pleased with the friendly service and well prepared food. My wife and I decided to make it a regular cheap night out for a pint and a bite to eat.

Sadly these intitial relatively high standards have slipped significantly. The service is now slow and when your food eventually does arrive you wished it hadn't. I found myself ordering increasingly expensive items off the menu in order to fill the void of disappointment. This sadly had little effect and upon receiving the final bill I rearlise that I could have eaten at a 'proper' resturant for a similar price. Needless to say we now do just that. Shame......

1  Thank MichaelWinnersDog
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Don't expect haute cuisine here. Food is microwaved beyond belief. Had a "Gourmet Mexican [veggie] burger supposedly with guac and salsa on it. I barely had a teaspoon of each. The oily onion rings and chips were clearly cooked in the same fat as meat/fish (the fishy smell was quite potent).

I won't go into why I didn't send it back as I was having a dispute about the supposed drink with the burger that I was OVERCHARGED for. The jury's still out on that one. The waitress couldn't find the time to take my order and seemed perturbed that she actually had to do it!

Long story short? I've had better service at other Wetherspoon locations. Go for the cheap beer IF you must (not even the mixed drinks were worth the price— VERY watered down).

Forget the rest.

1  Thank JRREngland
Reviewed January 20, 2013

What you would expect from Witherspoons,very economical but still good quality. A bit of a wait to order at the bar.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Wanted somewhere local and cheap for lunch with a couple of ex colleagues. Parking opposite made this a simple choice. Place was heaving with the usual Weatherspoons' mix of OAPs, young mums with small kids and local bar flies.

We managed to get the last available table and ordered the food & drinks. Food is incredibly simple but very cheap. It's not the greatest but I've paid a whole lot more in other venues for lower quality food. Food took thirty minutes but given how busy the place was, then it could have been worse.

The pub is fairly new and is still in a good state despite some of the obvious regulars! If you want something cheap and simple then this ticks the box. Get there early and find somewhere in the corner to avoid the hustle and bustle of the place.