“The suprise is in the food!”
Review of The Cedars Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Cedars Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Stowmarket
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
“The suprise is in the food!”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

The first impressions of this hotel is that it is a bit souless and tired.The bedroom however was clean and comfortable.The staff were friendly and helpful.it represented good value for money.My colleague and I ate in the bar from the a la carte menu.My expectation level was not high.However we had 3 excellent courses all freshly cooked and served remarkably quickly.The food was very good indeed and again was very good value.if I lived locally I would be a regular
to eat there.As a one night stop this was very satisfactory and the food will make me use it again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Graham S
Johnathan1985, Manager at The Cedars Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank-you for your review, we always appreciate feedback in any form. I am sorry to hear that you found the building to be tired. We are constantly updating and redecorating the hotel and bedrooms, perhaps you could tell us what you think is lacking? I am glad to hear, however that you found everything clean and enjoyed the food.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Sligo, Ireland
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I stayed here with my family recently.We traveled from Ireland and had a great time here.The staff were so friendly and helpful.The decor is a bit out-dated with narrow hallways to your rooms (Older guests ask for ground floor rooms) but the place is clean and the food is of a high standard.Nothing was a problem for the staff here.I booked through a web site and found out that I could have got a better price by calling the hotel direct on account of the "Party Discount".
I got several assurances that I wouldn't be charged on the double and this turned out to be true.The staff are so helpful and friendly that I would go several miles out of my way to stay here again.The distance from the Hotel to the town is a bit of a walk and I wouldn't advise anyone to walk alone especially after day light hours.Well done and thanks to all the staff for helping our stay to be a memorable one.Value for money?? A big YES...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mickyforde
Thank-you very much for your kind words. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Unfortunately there is not a lot that can be done with the narrow passages - the joys of a 15th Century building but we appreciate they are not to everyone's taste and (thank-you for pointing it out) we do have a number of modern rooms on the ground floor.
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Spent two nights here. Ate in restaurant first night and food was excellent and breakfast following morning also excellent. Breakfast the second morning not so good .. different staff on maybe ? The room was clean and tidy but there was a lot of road noise at night which prevented good sleep. Getting to anything in the nearby town realistically means driving although we did find a good indian within walking distance - about a 20 minute walk.

Nothing wrong with the hotel or facilities .. but nothing outstanding either.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MattJames69
Thank-you for your comments. I am pleased that, overall, you enjoyed your stay.
I am sorry to hear that breakfast was not up to standard on the second morning. Yes it may have been different staff but it shouldn't, and usually doesn't, affect the quality.
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed for one night at The Cedars and found it to be friendly and welcoming. When we arrived about 3pm we asked if they did food/snacks and although the kitchen was closed we were offered sandwiches, we went into the bar and found it in darkness and were not sure if it was open but that was soon rectified and we were served immediately with a drink and the sandwiches. Our evening meal was lovely and there was plenty of choice, even for a Wednesday evening it was very busy. Our room (9) was on the 2nd floor and was spacious, however we were disappointed with the double bed mattress, it was hard and uncomfortable, and unfortunately it caused us a disturbed night (Oh and the walls are so thin we could hear our "neighbour" snoring!!). We paid extra for the full English breakfast and the one thing I said to my husband was "where are the baked beans!!!" He was not offered them when ordering; but I had perfect poached eggs!!! Thanks

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Magsie_10
Surbiton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We selected the Cedars Hotel in order to attend a family wedding in Stowupland. We booked three rooms for ourselves and our daughters and partners.
Everything was very satisfactory, including letting us pick up keys early as we were not due to return to the hotel until late that evening.
The rooms were all comfortable and a good size. We felt very welcome right from the start and would have liked to stay longer to visit more places. It was a very restful stop and of the many hotels we have stayed in of late, this one provided the best feeling of being refreshed and ready for a new day.
The breakfasts were tasty and beautifully done and we particularly enjoyed the quiet ambience of the breakfast room with no annoying background music to spoil quiet conversation.
We will head for the Cedars again next time we have to stay in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Alan C
Norfolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My son was married yesterday (29/9/12) and the reception was held at The Cedars Hotel. The staff were all polite, friendly and efficient, the food was delicious and served in a timely and professional manner, the M.C. (Jonathan?) was excellent and made sure everything progressed smoothly and with no drama. I stayed in a lovely, clean room with a clean and very comfortable bed and the little corridors and different staircases only added to the quirky charm of this period hotel. The breakfast was hot, tasty and varied with something to suit everyone, even our repeated requests for "more toast" was greeted with a smile. I would totally recommend this hotel as a wedding venue, I know the communication between the hotel and my son and his fiancee was extensive, nothing was too much trouble for them and I'm sure this translated into what turned into a smooth, happy and trouble-free wedding day for them. Well done and many thanks for a great experience.

Room Tip: All the rooms are a similar high standard, however if you have difficulty with stairs then I would r...