1,386 results
All reviews fish crisps two double beds spanish speaking nice small town quadruple room spanish resort pool area lovely hotel salad bus stop outside hotel pretty marina big balcony cooked fresh beach bar meat dishes enjoyed our holiday
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was very impressed with the hotel, the staff and the food. My room had a separate bedroom a fully equipped kitchen including a toaster and a big balcony. All staff were friendly, helpful and professional. Meat was cooked to perfection and the choice of food was excellent. They can cook mashed potato like my mother used to make, delicious. The bed was very comfortable. It was my birthday whilst I was staying at the hotel. In my room I found a birthday card and a bottle of bubbly. A lovely gesture. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel.

Date of stay: June 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Senator-Hotels, Gerente at Playacanela Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to read such positive feedback and thank you for taking the time to share your experience in our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your time with us and that you appreciated so much the facilities , the level of service provided and a complimentary bottle of cava on your birthday.

I truly hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in the near future and provide you with another unforgettable moment in Playacanela Hotel.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

RECEPTION

Good staff on reception. Good English spoken (Mary). Asked if we would like to upgrade our room to a sea view room. Allowed to check out both rooms and opted for the upgrade with a wonderful sea view... cost 98 Euro.

ROOM
The room was clean. Furniture consisted of two double beds, bedside units,sofa bed, small table,dresser unit, inbuilt wardrobes fridge, safe and TV. (Only a news channel in English). The bathroom consisted of sink, loo, bidet and shower over bath. Good pressure to shower. Toiletries also available. Dressing gowns and slippers supplied but I think this was because of the room upgrade. Also available was tea/coffee facilities but not sure if available in all rooms. The balcony had a small table and two chairs.As this is a quadruple room I would have though 4 chairs would be available.

BREAKFAST
The usual type of food was available at breakfast....juice,water, yogs, fruit, pastries. Hot food included bacon, beans etc.Continental style food also...cold meats, cheese, toms etc.In addition there were the fresh cooking stations..omelettes,pancakes eggs. The only problem with the cooking stations is that there wasn't a chef to each station which meant they were charging up and down trying to do their best but this meant queues formed at each station.

LUNCH

As we were not All Inclusive we had lunch at the pool bar. The menu is fairly limited but pizzas, burgers, sandwiches available. However I did find the portion size rather on the small size apart from the pizza. Oh and if you order chicken nuggets that is all you get...no chips or salad etc.(It does say chicken nuggets on the menu so I guess we got what we ordered).

DINNER
I have to say I was a little disappointed with the choice of food at dinner. Not enough variety for me. Once again there were cooking stations...pasta, meats, fish, crepes but once again the chefs had trouble keeping up to the demand.
the food itself was decent enough and well cooked. Some of the sweets were presented as individual portions on the display which I quite like.
A couple more points. The dining chairs did not fit under the table...they hit the table legs meaning little kids had to sit forward on the edge of the chair.
Also once again this is another hotel that has a 'gentlemen must wear long trousers' to dinner. Was this rule enforced....NO. In fact some guests looked like they had come straight from the pool to dinner!

GENERAL
The pool area was kept clean. Not sure if there are enough loungers for when the hotel is full but there is a 'wooded' area where more beds can be accommodated. An indoor pool is also available.
For the week we were there they had two professional acts for the evening entertainment, both decent(a singer and a dance troupe).Other than that it was the 'animation' team providing the entertainment... a musical quiz one night, bingo another.

OVERALL
A decent enough hotel. Caters predominately, I believe for Spanish/Portuguese guests but there was a smattering of Germans, English and a few other nations represented. Very friendly staff who do their best to communicate and provide satisfaction.

• Trip type: Traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. Only through the comments of our guests, we are able to know about their experiences. Our ultimate aim is to give our guests even greater comfort than they may find AT HOME.

With reference to your comment about the lack of staff in the show cooking, we would like to inform you, that normally, the staff is distributed according the time of main crowd of clients. You will surely understand that we are absolutely interested in offering a fast and effective service, for improving our client’s satisfaction, which is our primary aim.

Concerning your comments about the variety of food, we would like to inform you, that our menus have a 11-days cycle, in which the salads and fittings could be repeated but not the main plates. Also we include the “Show-Cooking”, where you can find different kind of fish, meat, vegetables, Crêpes, pasta, and the typical Spanish “paella”. Every day we are working to continue with our quality and not only obtaining and investing in the product, rather in the permanent formation of the staff.

We will work to improve the marked points in order that your next visit and your perception of the products received is totally satisfactory. We hope to see you again soon for another pleasant stay with us.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed June 6, 2019 via mobile

We've recently returned home from a seven night break at the Playacanela. There were four of us in our party, myself, my husband, our 8 year old son, and my 81 year old mother in law.

We had a really lovely break, the receptionist on our arrival was really pleasant and helpful, we checked in easily and headed to our rooms. We'd opted for a front facing sea view room and, wow, what a view it was! Well worth paying a little extra for. My mum in law was located just a few rooms away and had a lovely side sea view too. The rooms were large with great storage, and the beds really comfortable.

All the public areas, pool, bars, loos were absolutely spotless, and our room was cleaned daily. The bar staff were particularly friendly, always ready with a smile, and even helping us grasp the Spanish language a little better. Two ladies in particular were fabulous (wish we'd got their names).

This is a predominantly Spanish/Portuguese hotel with only a handful of other nationalities there, but we met some really lovely people, our son made friends, and if he's happy then we're happy.

We visited during the UK May half term and it was relatively early in the season so there wasn't much going on but I can imagine during the busier summer months it will be a hive of activity.

I'm giving the hotel 4 stars, and not 5, solely down to the food options. This isn't to say that it wasn't nice, it generally was but we found that the choices were quite limited, and often when something ran out it wasn't replaced. I'm guessing that this was because the hotel was fairly quiet and would imagine that in high season there'll be more choice and plenty of it.

The beach location is beautiful and it's only a short stroll to the pretty marina. It really is a lovely area and one that we all agreed we'd like to visit again.

Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank TraceyC669

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your magnificent comments referring our hotel to other readers. We really appreciate your kind comments about all our services, as we are constantly improving our services for the maximum comfort for our guests. We were thoroughly pleased to read that your stay was a pleasant one. Your comments fill us with satisfaction, make us proud and bolster our commitment to good service.

Your remarkable review of all our staff will surely be appreciated by the entire Playacanela team. On behalf f our staff, I sincerely thank you for your kind consideration.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to our establishment and please be assured that we remain entirely at your disposal at all times.

GM. Playacanela Hotel

Reviewed May 26, 2019

Booked this hotel as a Silver wedding anniversary short holiday. Lovely room overlooking the pool and ocean (which we had payed extra for).Impressive lobby with glass lift internally. Lovely pool area. There it ends.
The restaurant was more like a cafeteria ,very bright and certainly not worth putting your holiday best clothes on for! The waiting staff spent most of their week dressed like pirates..couldn’t figure that.Not many children in the hotel. Both my husband and I were served raw chicken at different times and in different meals and I also had raw fish served as well having complained about the raw chicken! Poor quality food boney-end cheap cuts, rabbit legs ..mash potatoes skin forming on buffet..Even the omelette I was watching being cooked in the morning was made with ready beaten eggs from a carton! Well I didn’t think beating fresh eggs was such a big deal....Bread was nice ..we ate a lot of bread. ! Lots of other issues..we are complaining to the agent. Happy Anniversary..25..NOT!! We did complain to reception twice with no avail apart from sympathy at the time. Pool bar and indoor area closed at 8 but this was closed\ moved to the hall corridor at the weekend to accommodate a higher standard of dining\ food/waiting staff appearance for Spanish Holy Communions which were apparently much more important to the hotel than the guest we felt. Very disappointed and not the Anniversary I had anticipated.

Date of stay: May 2019
Senator-Hotels, Gerente at Playacanela Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2019

Dear Guest,

With respect to the fish , we regret very much that we have not fulfilled your needs. However, you could have asked our kitchen staff to recooked over heat again. We apologise for your discontentedness with the quality of the meals in the most appreciated days of the year YOUR HOLIDAYS, but I guarantee you, that our kitchen staff is constantly improving and trying to satisfy the different tastes of our guests. In relation to eggs, It must be said that omelettes are made with egg products. We only use fresh eggs to cook grilled eggs, offered in our show cooking service..

We will bear your impressions in mind and we will work in improving the marked points in order that in a next visit your perception of the products received is totally satisfactory. We sincerely hope you will give us a new chance to attend you in the future and we are at your full disposal at any time.

Reviewed May 13, 2019

There are a great number of criteria which should have a tremendous impact on satysfying the customer's needs and expectations when it comes to their marvellous holiday.
Service: very medicore command of foreign languages (EN/DE), especially the female Maite who was pretty incompetent and unprofessional (the lack of communicative level of English/German; we had to repeat sentences many times as she didn't comprehend them at all). What's more, she recommended us guillecar (car rental company) as a trustworthy and reliable company. Unfortunately, they didn't speak English and we were supposed to sing the legal contract in the Spanish language. Then, it turned out they cheated on us. I told her about it. She denied having recommended this company afterwards.
Food: very poor choice and the quality of food. Unfresh veggies/fruits. Awful fish/ or any sort of meat. Desserts inedible.They rely on the enormous quantity not a four star hotel best quality; the food was always cold and unappetizing even though we came on time
Check out: That was a culmination of our trip. We got some info about our early pick-up from the hotel since we were supposed to depart from Faro (Portugal). It was Maitie again, who announced that info. She didn't tell us about the very significant issue which was a time difference (plus 1 hr in Spain) Consequenly, we waited 1 hour for the pick-up as we got up too early. This kind of behaviour is disrespectful and flippant. I hope that someone will assume full resposibility for it.

Date of stay: April 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank PaulinaS1825
Senator-Hotels, Gerente at Playacanela Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2019

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your comments, as it is through them the best way we can improve the quality of our service, understanding the perception of our product and most important the quality and friendly service we provide.

We take guest feedback seriously, and it is disconcerting to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. However, I have to indicate that I don´t agree with most of your remarks since many other clients are absolutely satisfied with the service provided.

Regarding the comments that the hotel staff didn´t speak any English and that they were not attentive, we would like to let you know that all our formation is based to improve the kindliness and professional states to our guests. We work hardly every day to get it and we invest a lot of time and money providing formation to our staff. We will bear this comment in mind, but it must also be said that most of our staff can speak perfectly English. Besides, our reception staff is able to communicate efficiently with our English guests.

In relation to the schedule of shuttle service, I would like to inform you that the hotel is used to announcing the information which we receive from the Tour Operators “TT.OO”. Furthermore, we avoid making time adjustments as the schedule time comes with Portuguese time and another with Spanish time, besides not indicating what real time it is.