Hotel Grand Matej
Vila Magnolia(Banska Stiavnica)
  • Free Internet
Penzion Nostalgia(Banska Stiavnica)
TripAdvisor
Penzion Cosmopolitan II(Banska Stiavnica)
Hotel Salamander(Banska Stiavnica)
TripAdvisor
Penzion Resla pri Klopacke(Banska Stiavnica)
TripAdvisor
Scout House/Skautsky dom(Banska Stiavnica)
TripAdvisor
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed June 22, 2012

On arrival and from the outside I felt I'd made a good choice but my initial thoughts quickly changed. I had booked a superior room and was given a large room on the fifth floor. Immediately it became apparent that there was a problem as we could hear a loud bubbling noise coming from the wellness centre's jacuzzi which was just the other side of our bedroom wall & there was no inbuilt sound insulation! We asked to change rooms and were then given a much smaller room, where I had to place my case on the desk in order to accommodate it.

The first tiime we used the shower in this new room the bathroom floor was covered with water. We reported the problem and moved to our third room in two days. Mercifully our new room was larger than the room with the water problem, which for two people could hardly have been smaller.

Breakfast was very poor. The so called orange juice was so watered down and so sweet I found it undrinksble. I made it clear that I thought the juice very nasty and was given a bottle of orange juice from the bar.. There were no tea bags on offer other than fruit teas and the ham looked as if it was the cheapest they could have found. There was no toaster & it wasn't until I complained about this that the waiter offered to go in to the kitchen and toast some bread for me. On the second day we were tired of yet more fruit tea being offered and my husband made it clear that we didn't want this, when as if by magic a large box of Yorkshire tea suddenly appeared from the kitchen. Why this hadn't been made available to us up until that point I don't know.
On booking out the receptionist argued that the tiny second room we had been given was the same size as the first superior room we'd booked (and subsequently had to move from), which clearly was nonsense. Despite my husband's best efforts we were just given a ten per cent discount, even though we had gone through all these problems.
I would say it was just about worth putting up with the various short comings for two nights in order to be centrally placed for viewing this interesting town. The mineral museum is very well presented and I enjoyed my visit, even though I'm not that interested in mineralogy. The art gallery next door was also well worth visiting and we found the staff very accommodating in opening it up for us before the due time. We had a very nice evening meal at the brewery restaurant Erb and highly recommend that.

Room Tip: Don't be tempted to choose a superior room if on the fifth floor, as you may find it's next to the noisy jaccuzi! the lift only goes to the third floor and there's no help offered with suitcases!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Car0
Reviewed April 27, 2012

- rooms are nice and clean but the walls are very thin and there is a gap under the doors so you can hear all the noices from the corridor and other rooms (young couples comming in at 2 am) plus on the 5th floor you can smell the desinfection from wellness in the room and it is opened till 10 pm, sometimes even longer so I highly do not recommend this floor for families with children.
- food is ok, but warm breakfast buffet is not warm enough and dinner is without soup, just the main court and desert, which is pretty unusual. however, restaurant staff is very friendly and fast.
- the cable internet does not work in the room, only downstairs at reception area.

Room Tip: I do not recommend the 5th floor because of the noices and smell from wellness which is placed at the end of corridor.
Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 3, 2012

This was my first visit to Banska Stiavnica and grace of positive comments written in here, I booked a night in Grand Matej. Now I can say it worth the time and money, this hotel is cute place. Receptionist took a responsibility to call and arrange for us tour in Open mines museum and explained in details everything what I asked for.
This which added additional sympathy for me was that she has asked:You have two hour free use of our spa center, when do you like to go in? Working time is from 10a.m. to 10p.m. She said as well I will give you a key to the SPA, so you will not be disturbed by other visitors. As an exeption they extended open time within 12 p.m. and after great walk in the city I had great 2 hours in the jakuzzi and sauna, I really felt like a VIP person !
Do not put so much hopes to receive a good breakfast, for 6.50 euro you can eat much more better in any other coffee/pizza. Neverthless I highly recommend this hotel for those who likes to have a romantic rest after great day in this ancient city.

Room Tip: Higher floor is closer to SPA center
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2011

I have never wrote on Tripadvisor before but I just had to for the Grand Matej Hotel.

My partner and I stayed at this hotel recently during the Halloween/ All Saints period 2011. When we arrived at Banska Stiavnica, the town looked very beautiful- the churches, mountains and history was very appealing to us. As my partner and I are teachers we thought it would be best to enjoy a weekend relaxing with spa treatments such as massages, good food, walks in the town and a long well deserved sleep. Although, when we arrived to the Hotel Grand Matej, we straight away found where the hotel was, as it was in the centre of the town strip, but we couldnt find where the parking was, so we eventually got out of the car and went into the hotel to ask the blonde, slim receptionist who was at the reception desk. My partner asked where to park and she mumbled something about parking across the road. When eventually arrived at the so called 'parking area' which wasx actually an unsafe peice of area which was behind a shop, which you could only fit about 3-4 cars in max. Anyway, we got to the hotel and the unfriendly receptionist told us that our booking- through 'booking.com' didnt come through and there was no booking under my name, which the receptionist pronounce- not that it is difficult as its only 4 letters long. Fortunately there was several vancancies available for us, which we were happy with. (Although, I originally before booking the hotel emailed the hotel to ask about availability and the receptionist did say that there was only 1 available room and that I had to quickly book otherwise it will be full, but the price was more expensive that Booking.com so thats wshy i booked with Booking.com.) The receptionist spoke very good English but said to me when i checked in, no hello, no information about the hotel or surroundings, nor about the room or restaurant, all she said was 'Here's the key, your in 408A on 4th floor and the lift only goes to the 3rd floor.' Which i found the receptionist automatically unfriendly and unapproachable. W didnt have any help with the suitcases- although we had two large suitcases and had to walk up a floor. We eventually got up to the room and the room was well presented, clean, the bed was comfortable and large, decent shower and bathroom facilities, nice TV, although it was slightly ordinary and dull- simular to a Travelodge room. Although we only had a sachet of shampoo and some soap, there were no facilities for a hot drink, no little special extras that make a hotel room nice and a 'home from home'- because that is what a hotel is isnt it? We very much liked the town- although it was obvious that it was definiately not peak season as it was very quiet, alot of shops were closed and out of action and there was a tremendous amount of things to do except go to restaurants or drink coffee in a cafe- although that suited us as we went to Banska Stiavnica for a relaxing weekend break. The hotel restaurant is not particually expensive, compared to other hotels so it was nice to have drinks in the day and night, the restaurant had a very relaxed informal feel to it, and it was easy to be comfortable, it was very well decorated and the fod and drinks were quite good. One of the best things about the restaurant was the waitresses, they were so friendly, switched on and easy going- continuously smiling which didnt look fake and seemed to enjoy there work, although they worked from 7am until after 10pm- which must be very hard work. The 2-3 waitresses we seen at the hotel when we were there- Friday to Sunday- my partner and I both agree aswell as some people we met in the hotel found the waitresses a credit to the hotel and if it was for them we would think the staff at the hotel were very rude, uninterested in answering any questions and bored of there job, so well done to the waitresses! We also went for a time out in the sauna and whirlpool they offer on the hotel website, which is very nice, clean and recomendable as its private, so you book a place at the reception and for the hour the whirlpool and sauna is yours- free of charge. We also booked a massage in the hotel- which let me tell you was an experience!! The slim women who massaged me and my partner is very good but excruciatingly painful- We both had to bite our lip to stop the pain- she really is painful and we had to ask her to stop as it was that painful. After the massage i was unable to move my thigh for 5 days after the experience as I had injured it through thed massage. I inform anyone who wants a massage go elsewhere in the town as there is a few massage places if your sensitive- unless you have thick skin or a hard cookie then go elsewhere. When we left the hotel we gave the receptionist the key, but we didnt have a thank you or anything off the receptionist- I dont know what was wrong with her, just disinterested, rude, ignorant and bored must be the case as she was on some internet social network as we left. Overall, the hotel if pretty, central and the restaurant and wellness was all very nice and well worth the money, although that cant be said about the receptionist who if it was my hotel, wouldnt be employed.

After the hotel we travelled 15 minuted by car to Sklene Teplice for a wellness day- and it is 100% better that Stivanica, its much cheaper to book a hotel- the wellness village is amasing and well worth booking there instead as there is thermal cave baths at 42 degrees- massages- relaxation treatments- natural springs and different natural water pools for old/young/children- any age. Its truly worth it, and its so cheap!!

Room Tip: Go to Sklene Teplice instead- cheaper, beautiful and well worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chelsea W
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Stayed at the Grand Matej on a stopover betwen Krakow and Estergom. Service was excellent, rooms were very clean and comfortable and food and drink excellent.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family