Review Highlights
Two separate beaches divided by rocks

We hiked in to the south west end of the beach using the longer path that passes to the south west... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
John R
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Beautiful. The front side was easy, the backside requires footplacement and stability

Reviewed August 18, 2019
molaughl
Seattle, Washington

All reviews midnight sun parking lot my opinion great hike hiking boots steep trail paths camping road climb parents rocks field sides min shape weather
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Perhaps I had too high expectations about this hike and beach. It’s was pretty, but not that special in my opinion. Lots of tourists, thus, I recommend other hikes with just as wonderful views and more calm surroundings. The hike was relatively easy though, as long as you are able to hike.

Date of experience: September 2019
Reviewed August 18, 2019

This is a great hike. It is difficult to find parking at the trailhead so you may need to walk a bit. The trail on the front side was really easy. Once you hit the saddle and start down to the beach, you'll want to be comfortable navigating a lot of rocks. The views and beach are stunning, although the beach is littered with ocean plastics (mostly fishing gear). It was sobering reminder of the problem.

Date of experience: August 2019
Reviewed July 30, 2019 via mobile

We were planning on renting there but didn’t realize there was about an hour hike with a steep hike up and down about 170 meters in height, so we camped on the other side and climbed over in the morning.
The beach is very pretty with teal colored water. Because of the high mountains the whole cove is in the shade until lunchtime. I would recommend to go there in the afternoon instead. It was very windy when we were there so swimming was out of the question. We hiked up to the summit next to it which was steep, but worth it!

Date of experience: July 2019
1  Thank Rob-CS
Reviewed June 21, 2019

Regrettably, we only had time for one major hike while in Lofoten. We were absolutely not disappointed that the one we chose took us down into Kvalvika Beach. Absolutely gorgeous. The weather was overcast and a bit daunting while we were there, but it was still breathtaking.

We found hiking directions online to get down to the beach. It's a beautiful hike with fantastic views. Everyone around me seemed to think it was fairly easy, though I was admittedly totally out of shape and it felt like an Ironman competition to me. Still loved it.

I would recommend NOT taking the hike in wet weather, or for at least a day or so after wet weather. there is a long patch that gets marshy. Some wonderful people that I would like to personally thank have placed 2x4s for a walkway through the area, which was very helpful. Additionally, there are a lot of sloping rocky places that seem like they would be slippery and difficult to get through if they were wet.

From the beach, there was a back way up to Ryten, which my boys took so they could get the iconic Ryten photo. There is a MUCH easier way to get to Ryten, but they liked the experience of going on this hike. It was a rocky and steep trail, but they got to the top and back down in a couple of hours.

Just up from the beach, there were sheep roaming freely. Amazing spring water flowing right down the mountain. It was a midnight hike during midnight sun season -- so peaceful. There were some people camping in small backpacking-type tents. I think that would be a great way to enjoy the area -- to take the hike to Kvalvika Beach, stay and enjoy the day, then hike up to Ryten the next morning. That's our plan for next time!

Date of experience: July 2018
Reviewed June 10, 2019

A Norwegian family celebrating two 60-year old parents. We drove for about two hours from Henningsvær and found a parking (left side) and marked trail towards Kvalvika. My brother and I were planning to hike towards Ryten for the nicest view over Kvalvika. While our parents went to Kvalvika and back, we had a round trip continuing to the top of Ryten and back to the road, but a little further up from where we parked (at a red house). I have to underline how amazing the trip towards Ryten was. The weather was perfect and at the top there is a super fun (iconic) photo spot "everyone" have to take there picture at! What a stunning view!! WOW!!

Date of experience: June 2019