“Nice stay”
Review of Castle Durrow

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Durrow
Castle Durrow
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Durrow
San Francisco, California
“Nice stay”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stayed here for just one night for a wedding. We had a very comfortable room with lots of space. I think it may have been a suite. The room was beautifully decorated, with a 4 post bed. The bed itself was a little on the soft side for my liking. There is poor air conditioning in the room. Although we had opened the windows, they were closed again by turn down service. This meant that the room was uncomfortably warm when I finally made it to bed.

We were up early the following morning. Check out was smooth but we had missed breakfast as it does not start until 8am! We were charged about EUR30 for a breakfast we could not have!

I would like to return and enjoy the castle and grounds again though!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank erroltho
shelly S, Owner at Castle Durrow, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
dear Erroltho,
It must be the bank holiday weekend that got into my computer !! I am so sorry , I did reply to your very kind review but my computer mixed it up !!
I also wanted to say that the bed feels soft ,but it is actually very firm for your back , I have back problems myself and picked the mattresses for people that are like me and to show them that a hard mattress is not always the answer ..
I do hope you come back and will avail of the full breakfast if you don't have the time , please let me know ,
Kindest Regards,
Shell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Attended a wedding here recently, and was delighted to have the opportunity to stay at Castle Durrow. The hotel is stunning, and staff for the most part were attentive, friendly and welcoming throughout.
The wedding banquet was excellent. If a large function can be catered for at such a high standard, it bodes well for diners in the main restaurant! Tea & coffee are available at any time in the main reception rooms but not in guest rooms.
Breakfast for me was the disappointing part of my stay. I'm not a fan of the standard 'full irish', and as there was no menu, and a rather brisk waitress, I was left unsure what options were available to choose from, aside from the continental buffet.
The grounds are magnificent to wander around. Perfect for a stroll at any time.
Looking forward to my next trip to Durrow already!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Angeld62
Dear Angeld62,
Thank you for your lovely and helpful review,
I am so sorry that you did not enjoy the breakfast fully !
Most of our guests love the full Irish after a night partying and for those that don't , I have the table in the room laden with cured Meats, smoked Salmon, Cheeses, Yoghurts , Fruit and Pastries.
I really apologize to you that you felt you could not approach the waitress and I thank you for bringing this to my attention.
I am positive that everyone at the Castle is committed to making our guests feel special and welcome , but I have spoken to all , to make sure that they really do bring that out to our guests as well !! ( It will not work if they feel it, but don't show our guests !!)
I love my gardens and am always adding to them , I am pleased you had a chance to walk through them ,

I hope to welcome you back,
Kind Regards,
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at Castle Durrow for a friends wedding and from the start to end the hotel and surrounding area made an already special day exceptional. The food, rooms and grounds of the hotel are of high quality and the staff are friendly, helpful and genuinely seem to want you to have a wonderful stay. As for a wedding venue to all you love birds out there this is a serious contender although expensive but perhaps worth the extra penny.

Room Tip: Rooms to the front of the hotel give a lovely view of the gardens
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank rachieblue
Dear Rachieblue,
That is such a romantic review !
We love having the weddings here, we have 5 daughters and 3 sons and I hope (insist) that they will all get married here at home, exactly with the same format as our guests do .
I know we might sound a bit expensive , but everything I could think of to make the day amazing ,I have included in the prize of our package, just so there really won't be any surprises !!
Maybe we will welcome you back for a romantic stay,

Kind regards,
Dunshaughlin, Ireland
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Excellent location for a get together We came from Meath and others came from Roscommon Waterford and Cork, The evening meal was excellent and choice of food for all was very good Lovely selection of food at breakfast and staff very attentive and helpful to everyone's needs Lovely walks around the area for all especially young children Looking forward to returning soon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mary_loughnane
Dear Mary,
it's great to read that we are ideally located for all of you ,to meet from nearly all the corners of Ireland.
having kids myself , I am always looking for extra bits to include at the castle, as a happy kid is a happy parent !! Yesterday the ducklings hatched and the new pond is nearly ready, so we can bring ducks and chickens into the orchard !
Hope to welcome you back,
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Just spent a night , dinner bed and breakfast in Castle Durrow and from the moment we set foot inside 'till we checked out, we felt like we were the only people in the place that needed service even though the hotel was full, the service was so good.
After check in I was brought to the room to see if was suitable, in all my travels world wide this has never happened before!
Complimentary tea and coffee were on hand for our full stay. The dinner was superb, steak cooked to perfection, and lamb served up 2 different ways, perfect.
This morning before breakfast I was greeted by my first name by the lady who showed me my room even tough I only met her for 10 mins the evening before,attention to detail or what!!
Breakfast was served by the happiest man I've come across in years, and it was the same welcome for everybody and not put on, this man was really happy in his job. All the staff were really very friendly and have left a lasting impression. Over all experience at Castle Durrow left me feeling very relaxed and hungry for another night or 2 there, can't wait to go back,well recommend!!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank ballyroe
Dear Ballyroe,
Thank you so much for your review !
it is great to read that others (my guests ) find the same things important as I do when I go away !!
Being recognized and ,when possible ,having a say in what room I stay in !!
yes, Nick always has a smile on his face, i live here and so see him all the time and he makes me happy with his smile !!
Kindest Regards,
Winter Garden, Florida
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Castle Durrow was the best start to our 9 days in Ireland. It's a little over and hour outside of Dublin but worth the drive. Castle Durrow has the best finishes of any manor home we visited in the country. There are beautiful stain glassed windows that are worth the time to really stop and look at for the details. Our room was quite large, we were in the Lord William room. The bedding was suburb. The curtains connected to the 4 poster bed were the nicest we saw, it annoyed me in other hotels when they had the the rods for the curtains but did not put any up. The antiques were hand picked and of amazing quality. The Owner/Decorator has that magical touch that adds little bits of modern here and there, but balances it perfectly with the historical.

The only con, and con isn't quite the right word is the room was quite warm. Luckily, we figured out how to open the windows. The only really downer was wifi was only in the open areas.

We had dinner in their restaurant as part of our package. The menu had a good selection and everything we picked was very tasty. There was so much food we were sad we couldn't eat it all. We elected for breakfast in bed and by far the nicest Continental and Full Irish breakfast we had during our trip. Presentation and quality were superb. Beautiful bar area and well stocked.

Reception and restaurant service was top notch. The front desk answered all my questions about the owners and decoration.

I also used the spa for a quick neck and shoulder massage. After a long flight from Orlando, FL this helped greatly. The massage was excellent and so was the attendant. Great pricing for mid-week Guest of the mannor.

The grounds of the manor are extensive. You can easily spend an hour or more walking around. We were there before the garden was in full bloom, but you can tell it's nicely maintained.

I would love to come back to Ireland if only to stay at Castle Durrow.

Room Tip: We stayed right above reception and was able to connect to the wifi.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aWendybird
shelly S, Owner at Castle Durrow, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
dear Wendybird,
Thank you for your super review, I am always thrilled to read great reviews and try to learn from the not so great ones ! i have learned something now from you about the WiFi traveling up to the room above reception !! In the main house the original walls are so thick that nothing travels through them, the positive side to that is , you really are Away !! The underfloor heating is fantastic and really efficient but yes, the windows sometimes need to be opened for the warmth!!
Hopefully you will return again,
Shell
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We got married here 10 days ago and cannot speak highly enough about the venue. The staff, the atmosphere and the attention to detail were all fantastic. From the moment we arrived on the Friday afternoon to when we left on Monday morning, we were made to feel at home. All the staff are exceptional and nothing is a bother to them. The rooms are large and well decorated. The food throughout our entire stay was brilliant. I would highly recommend the venue not only for weddings but also to getaway for a weekend

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank BNM79
shelly S, Owner at Castle Durrow, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Dearest B and S,
from all of the guys here we would like to thank you very very much, you were delightful from your first viewing to the menu tasting through to the super wedding weekend ! your guests were lovely to have here and we all enjoyed the many amazing extra's you put on ! ( sparklers , bellydancers etc )
Marie says a big Hi as well,
Shell Stokes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durrow
Ballyfin Demesne
#3 of 18 in Kilkenny
The Killeshin Hotel
The Killeshin Hotel
#2 of 4 in Portlaoise

Been to Castle Durrow? Share your experiences!