“comfort and tranquil”
Review of Castle Durrow

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Durrow
Castle Durrow
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Durrow
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed at CD for 2 nights recently after reading trip advisor
the kids were hungry at about 3 in the aft and had lovely burgers with fries with a salad in the bar area, the staff were friendly and accommodating (4 kids) , i read one review on the food on trip advisor and suggest that these guests had their food in the bar not the restaurant (the food and service there are 1st class)
the bedrooms exude classa and have been tastefully renovated , we loved ours.
I have to commend the staff and owners and say thank you for a lovely and restful stay

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank deirdrebwalshe
shelly S, Owner at Castle Durrow, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Hi Deirdre,
Thank you for your review, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay.
I hope your kids got to play with Timmy , our naughty cat !
I read the other review as well and hope that the lady who wrote it will come back and try our extended bar menu !!
I hope you will return soon ,
Shelly

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We attended wedding here on the 19th March. Altough we did not stay in the Castle, we had a thoroughly enjoyable time. The food and service from attentive staff was tremendous. The grounds are beautiful with various walk routes. Woud have no quams in coming back an staying in the Castle.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank wmd1
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Our daughter's wedding was an outstanding celebration and the Castle Durrow (CD) experience was truly exceptional. She and her fiance (now husband) made all the arrangements and were "the clients" so this review is from a delighted / wowed parents' perspective. The warm, personal, attentive yet unoptrusive service shown by the entire CD team made for a very welcoming and relaxing atmosphere. The professionalism and attention to detail is unmatched in my experience and the pride taken by the CD team is clear with excellent communication strongly evident. For this reason it would be unfair to mention any individual staff member as they clearly take pride in working as a team. We found it hard to leave and in fact stayed an extra night which gave us more time to enjoy the gardens, grounds, village and the food! The quality, freshness and flavour of the food is consistently high - breakfasts are wonderful (make sure you have breakfast in bed). If you like dogs and cats the CD pets are an added attraction (not to mention the horses). It is my absolute privilege to unreservedly recommend the Castle Durrow experience to you. Thank you to the CD team for their contribution to make making our family celebration an outstanding success.

Room Tip: 1. Allow time in your visit to enjoy the beautiful grounds and garden 2. Have breakfast in bed
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank drawoha
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I decided to detour here for lunch a couple of week's ago on our way to Tipperary. We found the experience incredibly disappointing. On the plus side the staff were great. It was the value for money that really let this place down . We ordered two Brie and baked ham sandwiches. Priced at €12.50 each we expected them to be of a much higher standard than two pieces of brown bread with a slice of processed ham and tiny piece of brie. Our lunch was nearly €50 for two sandwiches, chips and soft drinks - absolutely ridiculous for what we received. In addition a wedding arrived just as we were finishing our lunch in the study which essentially ran us out of the place as there was no dedicated areas for guests. A really disappointing experience.

• Stayed: March 2013
5  Thank magenta_clovisse
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I recently attended a wedding here, and it was a fantastic hotel. The grounds as we made our way to reception made me feel like I was somewhere else entirely, rather than in the middle of a village that I regularly pass through. We were in the garden view room, which had a 4 poster bed (nice touch), and was very clean. However the temperature setting was set at 28 degrees in the room! It was not possible to lower it, as it was permanently set, (unless I'm a complete fool and was doing something wrong, but I don't think so). I then tried to open a window, but the window in the bathroom would not open.
The reception was well catered for, the staff were very friendly, and the food at the wedding, and for breakfast the following morning was exceptional. So over all, I was very impressed with this hotel, but it needs to cool it's heating a little!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tom O
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I went for dinner here today with my mother and aunt for mothers day. I was surprised that there was no set menu in the restaurant. I was also surprised at the limited menu, in essence, it was, a burger, fish, curry, carbonara or steak. The fillet steak, was quite small, and the chips were frozen skinny chips. I would have expected homemade, think and chunky chips from such an establishment. I was also disappointed not to have received some fried onions or something along those lines to accompany the steak. Apart from this, the atmosphere was lovely and the food was not overly expensive. However the food and service was average. I will not be rushing back anytime soon.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank lilywhite1
Reviewed February 25, 2013

From Anchorage to Buenos Aires and from Accapulco to Beijing I have stayed in some of the best hotels in the world.
However, for sublime luxury and genuine warmth and hospitality I need not have wandered more than 20 miles from my native parish.
Castle Durrow is just perfect,
The grandeur of the old building is retained and subtly combined with every modern convenience.
The staff are genuinely warm, friendly and most helpfull. Their attention to detail is amazing. Every member of staff just wanted my stay to be relaxed, enjoyable and memorable. It certainly was.
This hotel and its staff are simply the best.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank kmonahan23
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durrow
Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
#3 of 4 in Portlaoise
Kilkenny River Court Hotel

Been to Castle Durrow? Share your experiences!