“Wonderful Place !”
Review of Gilid Restaurant - CLOSED

Gilid Restaurant
Cuisines: Barbecue, Pizza, Seafood, Scandinavian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Description: American trained Icelandic chef Axel Axelsson puts his spin on local produce. home made marvels made from local produce only. fresh fish from the local fishermenn and porduce from the snæfelsnes peninsula..
Portland, Oregon
“Wonderful Place !”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I had driven from Hellnar to Olafsvik stopping along the way many times to explore.When I got to Olafsvik I went into the Atthagastofa Snaefellsbaejar , the "Welcome Center" for suggestions for the area. The women working there are WONDERFUL and one of them suggested this place to have a late lunch.
The place is very cute and has a log cabin feel to it. It is very clean and bright with large windows to look out at the scenery . I was cold and tired as it was about 10C and rainy so I had a bowl of their meat and vegetable soup along with some bread. The soup was delicious as was the bread and it was more than enough to fill me up. so much so that I did not have room for a cupcake or any of the other desserts there. The coffee was very good , strong and hot. My soup arrived quickly and the staff was friendly .
I would definitely eat there again, and not because it is one of only a few choices BUT because it was really good !
The prices are reasonable and the staff was very friendly .

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank sorrisa

The Hague
“Simple but good food”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

The food is simple but well prepared and reasonably priced. The staff are also very friendly and the whole place is clean and welcoming.

Visited August 2012
GilidV, Owner at Gilid Restaurant, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Thank you very much for your review. We are glad you liked our little restaurant.
Toronto, Canada
“Unfortunate timing”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We were going with the reviews in a magazine we read in Iceland saying this was a little gem in Olafsvik. We had just had a flat tire repaired and were quite hungry. The only thing available for lunch was the buffet which was tired. I think it had been out too long. There were fish balls, some pasta I think, and I cant remember what else.

But the staff must live upstairs because while we were there someone was vomiting upstairs and making a lot of noise about it. It was quite gross. There was lots of laughter and noise at the same time and people stomping around over our head. The whole thing was just gross. And no one made any apologies for it. Everyone downstairs must have heard it!

Visited June 2012
GilidV, Owner at Gilid Restaurant, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Thank you for the review, I am sad that your expirience of my restaurant was not good. I would like to put one thing straight about your reviewm, I remember this day that this happend and I can promise you that the people upstairs where not staff but a group of people who where travelong the country and had reserved the upstairs for food and drinks unfortunatly the drinks part went a little out of hand and my staff who where upstairs with them tried there best to keep the noice to a minimum but with little success. Again I am sorry that your experience was not good and hope if you are ever comming back to Iceland that you give us a second chance..
Redwood City, California
“Yummy.”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Great place to eat. Moderate prices and good food. You feel like you're inside of a cabin or sauna.

Visited June 2012
GilidV, Owner at Gilid Restaurant, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Thank you very much.. Glad you liked our little restaurant