“Perfect anniversary weekend”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Eshott
Cockermouth
“Perfect anniversary weekend”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

We stayed for two nights (dinner, bed and breakfast) and had the wonderful Tedsmore 4-poster room. The hall is a fantastic building; beautifully restored and modernised. The ornate plaster ceiling in the drawing room, in particular, is a work of art! The high point of Eshott Hall has to be the outstanding food - I can see why it has a rosette, and could easily have more than one. Stay for dinner - you won't be disappointed! The chef sends through amuse-bouches as you wait for your starter, and remembered from our booking a month earlier that my wife doesn't eat meat so made her something different. Every meal was fantastic. Also I was really pleased the hotel served local Alnwick real ale (bottled); good to see support for local breweries. At breakfast, we could indeed watch the red squirrels in the gardens as we ate.

Our room was great; we didn't hear any noise, from a water heater or anything else, unlike a previous reviewer. Our only complaint would be the room was a bit chilly, even with the radiator on full. And despite asking a couple of times, the staff weren't able to find an extra heater for us.

The hotel staff were all very friendly, helpful and attentive. Some were young and very new and made the odd mistake, but nothing that wasn't immediately rectified, and with a smile. We're all human and some hotel guests should remember that!

I saw another reviewer complained the fire in the drawing room went out while they were there. Why not put another log on yourself then, if the staff are busy? I did, and everyone seemed quite happy! Just relax and enjoy this beautiful place!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CumbrianRobin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

We appreciated the welcoming gesture of complimentary tea and tray bakes on arrival, which we had in the beautiful lounge, warmed by the fire. This was a really nice touch. We found the (mostly female) staff charming,friendly and keen to be helpful. The dinner menu was not extensive, but we each found plenty to like, and the food was cooked and presented well, and was delicious. However, having had pre dinner drinks in the warmth of the fire lit library, we then had to dine in a cold dining room. There was a marked feeling of being chilled as soon as we entered the hallway. We had the Italian room,which we had mixed feelings about. It is a large room,with a fabulous floor standing bath, but the room seems spartan, and there is a lack of anything that stands out as being Italian, not even any Italian themed paintings on the walls. We are told in the 'blurb' that the rather heavy,dark wood furnishings are Italian, but does not stand out as such, and the large windows,with views of the garden, had not very Italian style tulip patterned curtains! I think if you are going to specialise in themed rooms, you need to have a more authentic feel, to create the required atmosphere. The bed was so hard that neither of us slept much (and we are not soft bed people either!) and we were glad that we were there for only one night. The room was chilly, but as we prefer not to have a hot bedroom, this was ok. The bathroom was small, but modern and spotless,with quality toiletries. Breakfast was lovely, plenty to choose from, I particularly enjoyed the fresh fruit plate with yoghurt, which was delicious, and served by a charming young lady.
Would we go again..? Perhaps. We would be encouraged more if some tweaks were made, especially as there are so many fabulous places to stay that do it better.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sarah B
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stayed 1 night in the Tedsmore room. The room was amazing, including the bathroom. It was a home from home how comfortable and at ease I felt. Only downside was the noise from the water boiler in a storage room next door was particularly loud and made regular noise. But what can be done. The room/house was decorated tastefully and the detail gone into it was amazing. The breakfast in the morning was the final touch the food was mouth watering. The staff were super helpful giving me restaurant details in the surrounding area and wedding information for the house itself she even gave me a mini tour of downstairs properly before leaving. I want to and will return here 100% and recommend it to anyone looking for that wow hotel. I loved the little hot chocolate sachets in the bedroom.

Room Tip: You will not be disappointed by any of the rooms!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shauns22
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2014

My husband and l stayed only one night over the weekend for a wine tasting evening with a very tasty meal. I informed the general manager that though the menu sounded good... I needed it to be suitable for my husband with coeliac condition and myself who is vegetarian. No probs the menu was sorted by a Mr Mark Alderson for our individual requirements.

WHICH believe me is something that I as a wife and mother of people having to be on a gluten free diet is fantastic.!

The building is beautiful, I enjoy architecture and am interested in history..so the folder in the lounge giving details of the history of the house was a very good idea.

The room was gorgeous. With a lovely view, spacious and immaculately clean.

The meal on the evening with wine tasting was interesting as the wine was introduced and explained where and how it was made..the food was very good.
Breakfast was wonderful and served at the table, which was a welcome change as most hotels is serve yourself.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sharron000
Morpeth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Dear Sirs

I recently wrote a review on Eshott Hall as I was disappointed with the response from the GM a full month after I telephoned and spoke to the operations director, who the GM informed me could not recollect my call, which was disappointing in itself. I was not happy with the response from the Hall which seems to imply that I was looking for gaudy decoration, I wasn't, this is why Eshott was chosen for that particular evening. I did mention the cold plates to the OD. When I was called by the GM on the 24/1 ?, he was not particularly apologetic, and started every sentence with "I have an answer to that" which he did but it just didn't sound sincere. I would like the hotel to know why I put this review out, but I would also like you to withdraw it. I have not been contacted by the hotel asking me to do this, I just don't like this sort of thing and a more sincere apology would have been appreciated.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Gwen B
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2014

11 of us stayed in Januray for my mother's burial at nearby Brainshaugh Chapel. At the same time we were celebrating her amazing 98 years-

Dinner was arranged in a private room for us- without asking- the food was superb and the service unobtrusive, but always there- Breakfast outstanding-

We had specially organised lunch for some 18 and then tea and coffee in the sfternoon.

Simply faultless from start to finish-

Mark and the team did a superlative job- we'll be back

Room Tip: Just ask the staff!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Chipping Ongar, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

Stayed just one night prior to a funeral. Very warm welcome ,staff pleasant and helpful . Stayed in the very large Versailles room ,best described as shabby chic ,mattress though a bit too hard for my liking . Bathroom is modern but could really do with a thorough scrub especially around the mouldy window frames, molton Brown products were good .
Dinner and breakfast were excellent ,food well cooked and beautifully presented and staff didn't bat an eyelid for my gluten free request . Big comfortable sofas in lounges and fires .
Can't really give it stars because it does not match the comfort and quality of 5 star hotels ,a Four Seasons it isn't . However it is a good quality 4 star.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eshott
Doxford Hall Hotel
Warkworth House Hotel
Warkworth House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Warkworth
Battlesteads Hotel

Been to Eshott Hall? Share your experiences!