“Delicious local fresh fish!”
Review of La Caravelle

La Caravelle
Ranked #36 of 123 Restaurants in Bonifacio
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 11, 2019

Upscale restaurant on the marina. Excellent food & service, however the bar next door starts playing music very loud as of 10pm...

Date of visit: June 2019
1  Thank luluescapes

Reviewed March 17, 2019 via mobile

We resevered a table for two pax, specifying on the sea, but when we arrived at the restaurant the waiter showed a table on the street, we saw that on the there were only long tables for six/eight people. The menu includes a great variety of traditonal dishes with fresh fish. The ingredients have high quality, something is overpriced: a flute of champagne 18euro...

Reviewed August 28, 2018

Had a dinner at La Caravelle, which was effectively presented by the hotel concierge as a luxury level restaurant – no problem. The important thing was to have a wonderful meal in a wonderful spot.
The location is in the heart of the harbour of Bonifacio, with a lovely view on the quay and the old fort just above. We were given a table in the middle of the restaurant, therefore quite busy with the service staff around. Table distances are fairly tight, there are probably two services at dinner and you have the feeling to be rushed through your whole experience. Just after sitting, we were shown a few catches of the day – we didn’t even had our menus given to us and not even looked at the wine list…we found it quite awkward and pushy. We effectively decided to pick our choice “à la carte”.
We had a full meal including a starter, a main course and a dessert. I had to ask to change the linguine with vongole twice – they were extremely salted and the restaurant manager himself he acknowledged that my comment was very reasonable. I had the pasta replaced but still the same problem and ate a couple of bites. Impossible to go further – we speak about a dish served at EUR 38, which was fully charged on the bill. No commercial gesture after what happened... The owner of the restaurant was welcoming a few guests while ignoring others – we saw no reason for some distinctions, but maybe there are better clients rather than others and this gives the feeling that there is a real difference when you walk in.
As per previous reviews, it is not a mid-range restaurant, but if it goes for the luxury level, it needs to improve the environment, the timing and the quality of the food served. I’m a senior professional in the luxury yachting industry and won’t provide this restaurant as a reference to my clients.

Reviewed August 27, 2018

Reading reviews, people complain about the price, it is useless to do it since you know when you seat that it is an expensive restaurant.
What to me was disappointing is that the great fresh fish we had in our dishes was ruined by a mediocre cook.
Carpaccio fish taste only of herbs on top, spaghetti vongole tasteless and overcooked, a great lobster killed by a strange catalana dressing (nothin to do with the catalana...).
Maybe we were unlucky since we went there many times, but it was a less than mediocre dinner.

Reviewed August 22, 2018 via mobile

Have been coming for many years for a night during summer to Bonefacio for a stop. And have always eaten at la caravelle for the good sea food.
I order a Corsican white that was recommended to me highly by a friend. Sommelier gave me look of disapproval. And not a cheap bottle. Order it anyway. Opened and didn’t love it. So asked him for his recommendation, this was 3x more. But not 3 x better at best 1.2 x !
service is spotty. The bus boy comes and fills the expensive wine in the glasses of the first wine I catch him to late. Ask for the waiter. Who then tells me that’s not his department, he has nothing do to with it.
Then the sommelier comes back, dosnt even hear me out and walks way, the night was ruined. Accidents happen but try to fix ASAP or apologize at least.
It’s a French s... show! Even owner or GM at door gave me the what ever shoulder. don’t like to general-is but it’s like getting the wrong taxi driver in Paris.
Everyone dose the wrong thing and once the night is ruined they try to kiss up!