“Very good but quite expensive”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Matagalpa
Selva Negra Mountain Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
“Very good but quite expensive”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at Selva Negra. Rooms and meals were good but prices were about double of prices in Matagalpa. I am sure most travelers are aware that resort prices can be quite expensive. Even so, we enjoyed ourselves.

Room Tip: We stayed in the cabins. Rooms are cold at night as it is high elevation.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed May 30, 2014

I stayed at this resort for two nights and loved my experience there, but I do have a few tips for fellow travelers that could make your experience even better.

First of all, the hotel grounds were breathtaking and the rooms were simple, but very nice and comfortable. I stayed in a Laguna Room for $50/night which had a little deck outside with rocking chairs where you could sit and watch the birds play in the lagoon and watch the ducks wandering around while reading a good book. The rooms had electricity and a ceiling fan to keep them cool. Air conditioning wasn't needed because it didn't get that hot. The shower had hot water both days, but you have to let it run for about 5 minutes before the hot water comes out. Once the hot water starts, it's fine and doesn't run out.

At the main reception, you can get a map of all the hiking trails through the property. I did a lot of hiking on the second day and had loads of fun. I was trying to track down some wild pigs that I swear I could hear grunting in the forest, but I never found them. It was fun exploring the different areas and trying to be really quiet so you could find some animals. To me, the trails were more fun than the tours, but I think that's mainly because there were some annoying tourists at the lodge on the day that I signed up for the tours and I was trapped with those people. I would advise that if you're going on a tour, find out how many people have signed up before you decide to go. I went on the night hike with a group that was way too large to be safe. There were about 13-14 people with one guide. They ran out of headlamps and the people at the back of the line kept yelling that they couldn't hear anything, which then scared off any animals and we didn't see anything exciting on the tour at all because people were making so much noise. Had I known it was going to be that many people, I wouldn't have paid the money to do it.

I read some other reviews that complained that they got bitten at night by bed bugs. I don't believe that's true. But I did make an interesting observation about bugs in the rooms that I think is worth noting. On the first night, there were a lot of people in the bar/restaurant area until closing (around 9:00), so I hung out there after the night hike and made some friends and drank beers until I was tired. I went back to the room at 9:00 and read for a few minutes before falling asleep. I didn't have the overhead light on for long since there was a reading light next to the bed. That night, I did not get any bites and did not really find any bugs in the room in the morning.

My second night was a different story. There weren't a lot of people at the lodge that night and the restaurant cleared out pretty early. Instead of hanging out at the bar/restaurant, I decided just to go back and hang out in my room. I had the overhead light on for about two hours while I was reading and packing my stuff and planning the rest of my trip. Suddenly, I realized that the overhead light had attracted a bunch of bugs into the room and there were a ton just buzzing around the light. Some were getting hit by the ceiling fan and falling down onto my bed. Once I realized what was happening, I turned off the overhead light and started using the bedside lamps again. A bunch of the bugs left, but at that point, some were just trapped in the room for the night. I did get bites on the second night, but clearly that was my fault for having that overhead light on for too long. (There are small windows near the ceiling that don't have screens which is how the bugs get in.) So anyone, I suspect anyone that complains too much about bugs probably kept their overhead lights on for a long time which is why the bugs came in. It wasn't a huge deal, but I'd recommend that people do more of their socializing outside the rooms and try not to leave the overhead light on for long periods of time if you don't want bugs.

Finally, when I booked this place originally, I was a little worried about how I would get there and how I would get back to Matagalpa. (I am a solo traveler that is still new to learning the bus system and my Spanish isn't that great.) My hotel in Matagalpa arranged a private ride for me to get to Selva Negra and Selva Negra will taxis to take you back to anyplace you want to go in Matagalpa! It was very easy if you're concerned about figuring out the buses and walking a km up a hill with your luggage. The taxi was 300 cordobas and they took me right to the bus station and helped me get an express bus to Managua. It was so easy!

This was a wonderful experience at Selva Negra. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who wants a relaxing cloudforest retreat with great hiking trails.

Room Tip: I stayed in a Laguna room which had the porch that looked out onto the water. The view was beautifu...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank trailblazer119
N. Wisconsin
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Cutest little cottages to stay in with tons of beautiful flowers and plants growing right on the roof. Nice hot showers which we had not had at several prior places that we stayed at. The grounds were well kept. We were here with a birding group and Manuel was our guide. He was honestly the best birding guide that we had during our stay in the Northern part of Nicaragua. Wish we could have had him for longer time frames. We saw lots of beautiful birds during our stay, many more than at some of the other places. The food was excellent, especially the German dishes. Mousies tour of the farm was very informative and we were impressed by how much they have done for the local economy. The little gift shop had unique gifts and I was able to have a friend ship back some wonderful carved deer. I would love to come back again, our stay was excellent.

Room Tip: Everyone in our group had a cabin and we were all very pleased with them
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Kennebunkport, Maine
Reviewed April 28, 2014

First i will start with the faults of Selva Negra, the building quality of the older rooms are in a worse for wear shape. they feel as though they were put together on the lower budget side and they weren't maintained well(i.e. yearly painting, furniture re fabric, electrical fixtures updated). Also the property was settled by German immigrants in the early 1900's(hence the name Selva Negra=Black Forest) you can see where they built some of the buildings using Germanic architecture, but in other areas didn't keep up the same design.
Now for the things i really liked, the property is BEAUTIFUL, from the tall pine trees, the the flower beds, the breeze that blows through the property, the landscaping is designed good and looks it. the placement of the cabins is also very good, at each cabin you feel very private and don't notice your neighbors. the restaurant serves good food for the price point, the coffee is amazing that comes from their farm.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated cabin, they are much nicer!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Alejo07
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Ok ok ok... There are a lot more thigs then juat a great bbq sauce but I'm not kidding. It's good. ;-)
Stayed in Cabaña 12 I think... It's the only one that is fully solar powered... Any ways... STAY IN THAT ONE! It has the most spectacular view from your private balcony. At night we would sit and watch the fireflies.
So it's a hotel with it's own hiking trails which is fabulous. We did a 3 hour walk/hike and tried to track down those howlers... Got close but could only hear them. If you don't hoke make sure to at least go see the area where the church is... The buildings and landscaping makes me think of the town where the Hobbits lived... It's so beautiful.
The restaurant's food was delicious. I know it's a little weird but their cheeseburger there with the bbq sauce was to die for as well as the schnitzel was compared to being as good as grandma's!!
Bring a light sweater for the evenings. After the super hot days in Jiquilillo the cooler temperatures where amazingly delicious.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank SunandFunMexico
Burke, Virginia
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I was really impressed by this resort. I had read excellent reviews and even saw an article about Selva Negra in the New York Times. The resort itself lived up to the expectations. My girlfriend and I stayed in one of the cabins. I was very impressed. The cabin was spacious, clean, and comfortable. I liked the fact that there were was a bedroom, small living room, and bathroom. They all made for a nice and comfortable environment. The part that I may have liked the most about the rooms was the patio since there were rocking chairs to hang out on overlooking the resort. The coffee tour was informative and interesting. I'm still enjoying the coffee we bought today. The only thing that I really didn't impress me was the restaurant. While the restaurant had a spectacular view of the lake and surrounding mountains the food was mediocre (although the sausages were tasty!). Overall, I would highly recommend this resort for those looking for a retreat away from the heat in an excellent coffee farm!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joseph R
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed April 1, 2014

We stopped here on Sunday afternoon to enjoy some fine desserts, hear the howler monkeys and to enjoy some hiking. It also helped that there was a geocache to search for as well. The property is beautiful and feels like a tropical rainforest. The trails are well maintained, you just have to look out for small stumps that pop up occasionally. The hotel cabins looked nice and cute. I would have had no problem staying here.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matagalpa
La Buena Onda
#3 of 26 in Matagalpa
La Bastilla Ecolodge
La Bastilla Ecolodge
#1 of 10 in Jinotega

Been to Selva Negra Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!