We had the pleasure of bringing a group of about 30 folks to Selva Negra while working in Matagalpa for 7 days, running a medical clinic at a church in the Las Marias barrio and training pastors. Having been multiple places around the country, I have to say that Matagalpa is now my favorite! The natural beauty, cool mountain air, accommodations that handle groups well, and a staff that was very cordial and inviting made our stay very nice. The buffet style meals we had for breakfast and dinner each day were delicious & filling and the wait staff was quick and friendly.
The property allowed members of our team plenty of places to seek solitude, small groups of us were able to take long hikes through the forest (one late-night hike into the thick of a Howler Monkey stronghold was quite memorable!), and allowed our team to relax after difficult days on the "worksite". On our final day, we took a tour of the coffee processing facility and fields with Eddy. His knowledge and passion was awesome and he made us feel like the most important folks to have ever taken the tour. It was certainly a highlight for me!
As others have said, don't come to Selva Negra expecting a 5-Star Hotel room and restaurant. That said...in my opinion it's WELL WORTH what you pay for the ambience and welcoming atmosphere...of the property and staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are a full-service ecolodge, organic farm, and bird-friendly coffee estate in the Highlands of Northern Nicaragua. Whether you are searching for wildlife, touring the Ruta de Cafe, or simply relaxing in a romantic getaway, we know you'll enjoy your stay. We are a vacation spot you can be proud to support. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Selva Negra Mountain Hotel Matagalpa
- Selva Negra Mountain Matagalpa
- Selva Negra Mountain Resort Nicaragua/Matagalpa