“Experience of a lifetime”
Review of Matagalpa Tours

Matagalpa Tours
Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Matagalpa
More attraction details
Owner description: Matagalpa Tours is a Nicaraguan Tour operator specialized in creating sustainable travel experiences, connecting Nature, Adventure and social-cultural activities. We can provide your customized tour around Nicaragua and we are the experts for authentic destinations in the central region, Northern mountains and Caribbean.
Reviewed January 24, 2014

I went on a study tour with Bridgewater State University in January 2014. Our school always uses this company and has had Freddy as a tour guide for several years. I would highly recommend using this company and I cannot speak highly enough about Freddy. He is such a genuinely nice person and cares about the needs of the whole group. He knows so much about Nicaragua and his English is great so it was easy to communicate with him. It was also helpful to have him along to translate for our group. We spent our trip visiting various coffee plantations, hiking, and sight-seeing. We even got to sled down an active volcano - definitely a once in a lifetime experience. I am so glad I spent my winter break in such an incredible place and I cannot wait to plan a trip back.

2  Thank jbainton
There are newer reviews for Matagalpa Tours

Reviewed January 24, 2014

I went to Nicaragua for 2 weeks through a study tour from my university. Matagalpa Tours made the experience so rewarding and definitely unforgettable. Thanks to the coordination of the staff and guides we had a seamless experience that made us feel comfortable and safe for the entire trip. We did everything from visiting small communities of loving families that were ecstatic to have visitors to intense hikes up the mountain to see a beautiful waterfall. Matagalpa Tours brought us to meet so many inspiring people and see many breathtaking sites. I would highly recommend Matagalpa Tours for anyone interested in traveling around northern Nicaragua!!

3  Thank Liz T
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We went on a 2 day tour to Penas Blancas (cloud forest) with Marlon as a guide and Gustavo as driver. The nature was really superbe and Marlon was an enjoyable guide that speaks good English. Pricewise somewhat expensive but recommended! On another day we did the indigeous white people tour (half day) which I would not recommend: highly priced for what you get - a walk in the village and since it was on Jan 1 the cooperative was closed / because we expressed our disappointment of the tour, Marlon searched to find a family which were direct descendants from Germans. The night tour was nice, very informative but not a big thrill either.

1  Thank MyriamDidier
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

I booked a coffee farm and hike tour in january 2014. The staff there was nice and helpful, and the tours they are offering seems to profit to the local community. Their guides were speaking good english even if I would have liked a spanish tour. They also offer a lot of different tours. Just drop by if you're visiting Matagalpa!

1  Thank Derf_Qc
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We booked a tour to see the abandoned gold mine shaft and a coffee plantation. Our tour guide was Jose. Jose explained and translated anything another local tour guide informed us of. The local guide was certified to bring tourists into the mine shaft. He informed us of any precautions needed. I felt safe with the local guide and soon realized he was not going to take us anywhere that was unsafe. after the mine tour we did a walking tour of the nearby coffee plantation. Without Jose, this would have just felt like a walk about. Jose translated information that the local guide said and he also was full of additional information about Nicaraguan history, agriculture, flora, and fauna. It was an informative tour and well worth the money.