“Highly Recommended”

Matagalpa Spanish School
Ranked #3 of 17 things to do in Matagalpa
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a small and cozy school with personal attention. Our school is situated in a beautifully restored building in the city center. The classrooms are spacious with high ceilings, natural light and lots of fresh air. It is the perfect environment for focusing on your Spanish!!!Packages by week include 2 to 6 hours of classes a day, family homestay including three meals a day and a weekly excursion or tour. Our teachers do speak English as it can be helpful in some cases. Classes tend to be in Spanish only."Learn, Know, and Feel Our Language and Our Culture". We offer volunteer.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Highly Recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

I took classes for a month at Colibri in preparation for moving to Nicaragua. The teachers were intelligent, well-trained, and pleasant. They used a variety of teaching methods (e.g. direct instruction, conversation, reading, audio recordings). They changed my teacher after 2 weeks to broaden my exposure to teaching methods and vocabulary. Students can also request a change of teacher at any time.

My husband and I also did volunteer work at a daycare set up by Colibri. We received a discount on our classes for doing the volunteer work. Through the volunteer work and homestay, we had many additional opportunities to practice Spanish even when we weren't in class.

I appreciated the school's and teachers' willingness to engage, both in conversation and in action, social and political themes relevant to Nicaragua and to the world (e.g. women's rights, the rights of the elderly, environmental protection, education, religion).

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Rosalyn S
Colibrí E, Propietario at Matagalpa Spanish School, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Rosalyn.
Thank you for your comment. For us it was also gratifying to have you here. The teachers remind you a lot.
Your work as volunteers at the daycare was excellent, thank you for your support in first aid.
Thank you for recognizing our ability in conversation in social topics and also our social and political actions, We try to do our best to build a better world.
Saludos con aroma del buen café Matagalpino.
Colibri Spanish School.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Great School”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

My wife and I were at this school for almost a month. Between the two of us we had three teachers and enjoyed the classes thoroughly. The classes were a good mix of practicing speaking and studying grammar. The teachers were very responsive to our desires and requests and modified classes accordingly. In addition, Matagalpa is an an incredibly beautiful location with a great climate. We stayed in a homestay. The food was good, and the family friendly. I'd highly recommend this school to learners of any level.

Visited June 2013
central america
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“the quality of teachers varies dramatically”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

I took a Spanish course there more than a year ago...the instructor was at best average. I then reduced my weekly class hours and I was given another instructor who was very poor

Trondheim, Sor-Trondelag, Norway
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“grrrrrrrrreat!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

The one and only spanish school in Matagalpa. If you are keen on learning spanish in a cool environment with crazy brujas this is the perfect place to go! The school are really nice, with pleasant areas to learn and to relax. The teachers and all the people working there were fantastic. The lessons are well adapted to your wishes and what you want to learn about. The school are always making sure that you are satisfied. Extra plus with free access to good coffe! The school also stage many cool activities that you can attend to. This is a good alternative way to learn Spanish, and a good way to get a little insight into Nicaraguan culture.

I can recommend this school highly, HIGHLY! My teacher was amazing and the whole stay in Matagalpa una gran fiesta!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Ingrid A
Colibrí E, Propietario at Matagalpa Spanish School, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you so much Ingrid for your greeeeat comment!

For us it was wonderful to have you all here. You and your group is amazing!
We look forward to seeing you soon again and hopefully another nice group.

Abrazos cálidos, embrujados y llenos de colores.

Escuela de Español Colibrí
Matagalpa, Nicaragua
“Personalized classes were fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

I volunteered to work on a bridge in rural Nicaragua for several months, not having spoken much Spanish since high school. The teachers at the school were great and personalized many of my lessons to help me with bridge vocabulary. I even toured a couple bridges around town with my teacher to practice my vocabulary! The environment was great, muy tranquillo. I had 43 hours of class in 10 days, which was a lot, but I think it was definitely worth it.

Through conversations I had with my teachers I was able to practice my Spanish speaking and comprehension, but I was also able to learn a lot about Nicaragua's history and culture (the teachers are very knowledgeable in these subjects). If I didn't understand something the teachers were more than willing to stop in the middle of their story and explain it to me.

I would definitely recommend studying here whether you're only in town for a few days or several months. It seems like they can pretty much accommodate any specific Spanish speaking need that you may have.

Visited January 2013