“well-run hostal in a beautiful city”
Review of La Buena Onda

and 1 more site!
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Matagalpa
Reviewed December 25, 2013

I stayed in a private room here, which was extremely spacious, with a big bed, closet and sitting area with a table. Electric water heater in the shower, score! (Matagalpa can get very cool.)
Stien really has the details down here. Free filtered water and good coffee all day, delicious breakfasts served from 7 to 10 (included in the price of a private room, $3 otherwise), big library, nice lounging areas, fast wifi. Matagalpa is not a very touristed town, so this seems to be the place to go to get information and meet other travelers.
The best part, though, was getting connected with guide Guillermo González Prado, who runs his tour company Nativos Tours out of the Buena Onda. I wound up going on three tours with him (two of them private since I was almost the only tourist around!), to hike Cerro Apante overlooking the city, to the Selva Negra nature reserve, and to see a small coffee farm in La Pita. Guillermo was incredibly nice, informative and enthusiastic, and just a cool guy to talk to about everything from his city to blues and jazz. I like his approach to tours as well, which uses public transportation and emphasizes meeting local people. He's awesome, and so is Matagalpa, with its beautiful mountain setting, cooler temperatures and upscale restaurants and coffee bars. It seems to be a bit off the beaten tourist track but I don't know why - I highly recommend heading up there!

Room Tip: I had the private room in the back on the ground floor, which was very spacious.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank nutellanut
LaBuenaOnda, Gerente at La Buena Onda, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

Thanks a lot for your review,

It is very good to hear how satisfied you are with your stay in Matagalpa and La Buena Onda. It was pleasant to have you as a guest. We are happy to work together with Nativos Tours, as you said he is a good guy, for me one of the best tourguides in Matagalpa.

Hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here 3 nights with my mother. Location is very central, we stayed in a private room which was large and the bathroom had a shower with hot (or warm) water most of the time.
There is a nice patio and lounge area where breakfast is served (american, nica or fruit- had fruit with yoghurt and honey every day I stayed and it was excellent).
Staff is very helpful and efficient helped us find a taxi that would take us outside of matagalpa to san Rafael del norte and then la bastilla for an honest price.
Only complaint would be the drunk people speaking very loudly in the patio below our room at 2am on the first night (they did leave after I asked them twice).

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
LaBuenaOnda, Gerente at La Buena Onda, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Hi Erica,

Thanks for your review. I hope you had a pleasant stay in our hostel despite the noise you mentioned. Next time please inform us about it so we can get our guests quiet, 10 o'clock is the time we ask our guests to be quiet.

Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Matagalpa hasn't a great choice of hotels and this hostel is probably the best option. It's central and the price is reasonable. Unluckily they didn't accept credit cards because the system didn't work and it wasn't going to be repaired. We had a private room with bathroom. The water was warm only sometimes and the climate in Matagalpa is not exactly hot. The room was cleaned every other day. Breakfast is included and you may choose among three options. There is a lot of common open space and as a consequence you may have people talking under your room. The first night we were awakened by guys talking loud at 2am and we had to ask them repeatedly to be quiet.

• Stayed: November 2013

Hi Laura,

Thanks for your review.

We are sorry for the fact our creditcardmachine was not working during your stay, and it was definatley going to be repaired as soon as possible, but this is a problem beyond our control.

Next time please inform us about noisy fellow guests so we can get them quiet, at 10 o'clock we ask our guest to be quiet so all guests can rest.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Stien and his wife set the tone of this place. Stein was very helpful in telling me about the town, and also just an old school chiller who would be down to chat about whatever. The dorms are great, nice porch upstairs, good local coffee served gratis.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
LaBuenaOnda, Gerente at La Buena Onda, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Hey Casey,

Thanks for staying with us, it was nice talking with you! Always welcome to relax with us in La Buena Onda.

Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights. There wasn't many people staying here when I was here, only 4-5 other guests, but that was nice. The beds were big and comfy - spacious common room with big tv and DVD selection. Staff were friendly and helpful. And there was a friendly pet rabbit hoping around.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
LaBuenaOnda, Gerente at La Buena Onda, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

Thanks Ian,
We hope you wo'nt have any problems with your flight in Mexico. Thanks for your stay with us!

Reviewed September 22, 2013

This really was a great place to stay! Wonderful "front porch", friendly service, and good food. There are dorm style rooms available, as well as private rooms. I stayed in a dorm room, the hostel, and had a comfortable bed with large locker for my stuff. There was one bathroom for the room, which was huge, with a bidet, and tiled jacuzzi type tub and shower. The tub did not work, which was fine, but the shower did. Couldn't get hot water, but that was okay as well. (It was warm out!)
I ate breakfast here each of the 4 days I stayed, and it was always good. The staff are incredibly friendly, as are most of the people in Nicaragua! I highly recommend La Buena Onda!

Room Tip: If you're looking for a more "quiet" room, I recommend a private room. The dorm room I...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
LaBuenaOnda, General Manager at La Buena Onda, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Thanks a lot for your review! We are pleased to hear that you liked our fresh coocked breakfast. We hope to see you again soon!

Hostal La Buena Onda

Reviewed September 21, 2013

My second time there in the few years and it was just like last time but better. A young couple bought the place and are running it now. Friendly and excited with lots of energy made for very nice visit. More attention to detail and very helpful made my trip to Matagalpa fantastic. Tamara was very helpful connecting me with people to make sure I was taken care of. The private rooms always treats me well with a huge, comfortable bed, lots of space and a quiet room.

Room Tip: I like the private rooms for the price. I don't share rooms anymore....
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank RobertoB2112
LaBuenaOnda, General Manager at La Buena Onda, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Thanks for your review Roberto, we do our best to make our guests stay as pleasant as possible. We hope to see you again soon.

Hostel la Buena Onda

Also consider these accommodations in or near Matagalpa
Hotel Roca de la Cumbre
#3 of 6 in Matagalpa
Hotel Villa Hermosa
Hotel Villa Hermosa
#3 of 27 in Matagalpa

Been to La Buena Onda? Share your experiences!