“Very nice, simple,clean place”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of La Buena Onda

and 1 more site!
La Buena Onda
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Matagalpa
Costa Rica
“Very nice, simple,clean place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

Stayed for a week and had a wonderful experience. I had a private room at the top of the stairs with a huge bed and room. Very simple but clean, huge, comfortable and VERY near the center of everything downtown. BUT. It is not noisy. The staff are great and the food is good. It is a great, safe place to start off your visit to Matagalpa at a VERY affordable price.

Room Tip: At my age I do not like sharing my sleeping place anymore. The privates rooms are a fantastic value...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Managua, Nicaragua
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed a couple nights in La Buena Onda. The location is ideal, only two blocks from the cathedral in the heart of the city. I had a dorm room for $8, the room was simple, clean, and comfortable.

Staff were always friendly and helpful. I tried the yoghurt, granola and fruit breakfast for $4. It was served in a huge bowl - delicious and enough to fill up my empty stomach. There is free coffee, book exchange, and helpful advice. Wireless internet only worked some of the time, but was free. Also a very fat and friendly pet rabbit that roams around.

Nice balcony to watch the sun set over the hills too.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

I travels to Matagalpa with my parents, we came there after we checked some reviews that recommends this hotel, especially the rooms with the balcony. Since we were three people they sugestted the room for three, but because we wanted the balcony they kindly added second bed to the room. The rooms are not big, but very cleen and nice. The view of the sunrise in the morning from the balcony was amazing.
Also, the stuff is very nice, the location is great ( only few minutes of walk from the center), and the breakfast also was very good.
I have to say that the price ( 10$ for a person) is more then fair.

Conclusion: highly recommended

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank helenr2411
New Windsor, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

My team and I recently stayed at La Buena Onda in Matagalpa while on a mission trip to work with several orphanages. Matagalpa was a half way point and we were glad that we found La Buena Onda to stay at. The hotel staff was very friendly and spoke English! - while the rooms were not fancy they were comfortable and reasonably priced. And the view out the window the next morning provided a picture postcard scene. Breakfast the next morning in the open courtyard was a great way to end our stay, and was included in the price.

The purchase of several homemade rug products as gifts provided by a local cooperative called FABMRON - http://www.fabmron.org/home.php - was an added advantage.

We would definitely stay here again the next time we are in Matagalpa.

Room Tip: Select the one looking out the back of the hotel for the best view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank BDD99
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

Friendly staff, convenient location, great food and nice rooms make this the best place to stay if you are visiting Matagalpa. Free local cafe, laundry service, book rental and a movie collection are nice additions. Location is quiet, but sometimes other quest might make noise during the night (house policy is to keep quiet after 10 pm).

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Matagalpa_Volunteer
Ennepetal, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

When I arrived I was impressed by the great atmosphere! La Buena Onda just celebrated her 2nd Birthday. The staff was very friendly and courteous, like most people in Matagalpa, Nicaragua. The rooms are very spacious and offer plenty of storage space. The hostel is suitable for all ages. Since it is a combination of hotel (private room) and hostel (dormitory). The bathroom, of course, is not corresponds to the German standard, but I must say that it was the second best in my whole tour. (The best was on Corn Iceland, but the price was a lot higher and the staff unfriendly!) I would rather use the second-best! The beds were really great. Honestly I did not think, but I have slept great! At breakfast at the hostel offers a lot. There is something for everyone here. Portinoen're on the menu floating forth from the crowd. The breakfast nicaragunisch saturates beautifully and is extremely delicious! In the hostel you can book great tours, e.g. at Nativostours, they were wonderful. From the hostel you can walk into town. My girlfriend and I went very much in Matagalpa, we found everything very well. They also have an internal notbook, which you can use. What I did was unique at the hostel, that was sweet rabbit. A real trademark. In short, the hostel is to recommend in any case.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Caroline_Sophie_88
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I chose this place randomly on an overnight trip to Matagalpa - we thought it was a great value. The rooms were pretty cheap, good size, they have private ensuite bathroom, they're very clean and comfortable (if basic, no real 'frills' - but we didn't need any - and the room decorations weren't anything special). The two young guys working at reception were very nice, friendly, and helpful. They helped us find a safe, cheap parking spot nearby (and took the initiative to come to let us know when we had initially parked in the wrong spot on the street!) The place had a very good 'young' vibe but not really 'hostelly' (no loud drunken people or anything). It was a Saturday night so we got some noise from bars nearby in our room, but it wasn't their fault! Kind of goes with being centrally located. Breakfast was great and was included in the price we paid. They had a room with a big TV and DVDs guests can use, a lending library, free coffee all the time, lots of info about things to do and tours at reception, some basic things on sale (water, drinks, chocolate bars) for convenience, and an area with hammocks to relax. And we were very fond of the shy hostel 'mascota', a fat grey rabbit hopping around in the garden and reception area! Would definitely go back.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank amybalto
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matagalpa
Hotel Roca de la Cumbre
#3 of 26 in Matagalpa
Hostal Martina's Place
Hostal Martina's Place
#1 of 15 in Matagalpa

Been to La Buena Onda? Share your experiences!