“This is not for everyone, but it is what I wanted!”
Review of Ensuenos

Ensuenos
Reviewed June 11, 2010

Wow....If you are looking for a resort stay complete with room service, this is not for you! But if you are looking for a peaceful rustic, raw experience, this is all that and then some! I loved it....
I did my homework and came prepared for bugs, flashlights and we bought our own sheets and pillows....and mosquito coils...my reward was peaceful days, amazing food ala Andreeas, and a letting go of all my stress! This place takes you back to your inner soul...There was no one on the beach, NO ONE...so if your here to socialize, forget it...if your here to rejuvinate, embrace it...The staff were delightful, and my overall experience was one of pure contentment. This place will always have a great memory in my heart. I could lounge by day and sleep solidly at night. It is truelly the prettiest beach on the island, and although the hike is quite a long one from town, it is good for the heart! ....They had towels, although we also bought our own, and if you have the privaledge to stay in Casita Steff...we bought our own tea and sugar, so we could have that first thing in the morning. The bathroom was cool and I loved to take my shower outside...
Great stuff....I did see how some of the other cabins could be a challange, but my experience was very cool. It is what it is, and for me that was two thumbs up!
Keep it up guys...you have a beautiful piece of this world!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Stixychix

Reviewed May 21, 2010

We got off the tiny boat and started to walk to ensuenos. Undoubtedly a lovely spot, let down by the owner. We booked for a week, but on arrival - no c sheets - no security - no power - well, we expected this but we were a day late - Nica is famous for its chilled atmosphere - and when we go there Ramon Gil the owner was furious because we did not tell him. Plain and simple we couldn't - we also did not ask for dinner. We had to pay 25 dollars each for the privilege of missing a dinner we did not book. So, we guessed we had got over that bit - stayed the night, but to be honest - it was alot more ramshackle than the website looked - the toilet was disgusting out in the forest - no clean water - huts were terrible - like made from driftwood. Now we are chilled people - backpackers - which was fine - but the price. He wanted 100 dollars each a night for the cabins - we could have nearly bought the land for that!!!! So, we decided to say - look- feel a bit let down - nothing is anywhere near clean - and, this is more expensive than the most expensive hotel on Little Corn, and we are leaving. Thats when he went mad. CAme over to me, 5-10 English - normal - and started shouting in my face. "I WILL NOT BE TREATED LIKE THIS- YOU MADE A PROMISE TO STAY - I WILL HAVE YOU SORTED OUT - YOU DONT KNOW THE RULES AROUND HERE" well, at this point I felt really intimidated. Woah, Psycho alert. So, I looked at my severely hung over mates for some back up - nothing. So, I said, with him still right in my face -" Look, we don't mean to annoy you, we just want to go. " Woah. Wrong thing to say. a flurry of expletives followed, and he squared up to me, I thought I was going to get hit. I said, Mate, your nuts, Turned, with him following me still screaming - yes really screaming - and got my bags. We hurriedly gave some cash to the other French guy - 5 people - 1 night, 1 dinner we ate - and one we missed- 250 bucks between us. You wonder why he was that far away from France and society, it is because he is nuts. So, in summary - Little Corn - Great. Nicaragua - the best place I have been to. Ensueños - Take my advice, get off the boat, book in somewhere else on little Corn, and have a look first. It took us 2 days to get over the Ramon incident, but, I can honestly say I will never forget how Ramon lost it, and the way he screamed me, and one day Ramon, I will be back. Keep watch for me.

PS its good to see it was not just us. Don't trust him.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
9  Thank TC5089
Reviewed April 10, 2010

This place could be so beautiful. The brainchild of a wonderful artist, the cabins are one of a kind. The beach is unparalleled on Little Corn. We arrived and fell in love. However, we soon found out that Ensuenos is a classic dystopia.

After choosing a cabin, we waited hours for sheets so we could put our son down for a nap. Eventually, I sought out the owner, and he provided us with thread-bare ratty sheets, and I put them on our bed. As I was doing so, I noticed that there were a couple of cigarette butts on the floor.

We then had a misunderstanding with the chef about supper, and walked to town. Our son became sick near Derek's Place, so we stopped in. When we were greeted with a smile and the offer of a bed (free of charge) for our sick son, we decided to stay there instead.

I walked back to Ensuenos and explained the situation, and paid the owner for the night. He gave me an unsolicited lecture about principles, told me that my partner was running my life, and told me to stop lying about my son. I was then chased out of the establishment by two crazy dogs.

I have never been treated with such disrespect. It took me a long time to get over it.

Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank qallunaat
Reviewed March 3, 2009

If you take the time to walk north (which everyone will tell you NOT to do), you will be able to escape the backpacker crowd as well as all the crime on the island (which concentrates itself on the south side where all the backpackers stay), the noise (reggaeton blasting into the wee hours), and enjoy a total paradise at Ensueno's--great food and clean, safe accommodations.

Ensueno's was PARADISE. Staying in the north means you have about a 20-30m walk to town, and there is no electricity at night, but it also means you have most of the beach to yourself, not much seaweed in the water, can sleep with the windows open (totally safe), and can totally relax. At Ensuenos, the owners are super friendly. The shower and toilet are outdoors, but totally private. There is a propane stove if you'd like to cook, though they serve breakfast and dinner every day. The cook (Alan) is fantastic and makes yummy meals. (Lunch is on your own.)

If I were ever to stay there again, I would bring plenty of supplies, including candles, flashlight/headlamp, waterproof matches, sheets and bath towels, and snorkel gear (because you can snorkel right off the beach on the north side of the island). Ensueno's provide sheets, though they are not very comfortable, and they didn't really have bath towels -- just found some small towels lying around. The candles are important because the jungle (spiders) come inside the cabin at night. If we had more candles and could light up the cabin at night, I think the spiders would have stayed outside. We did not get bit, but it takes some getting used to to have huge hairy spiders on the walls at night. They also liked to settle on the door to get to the bathroom, so we would crawl into the net after dinner and hold it until the sun came up. If you're not bug averse, they really don't bite unless provoked. We just didn't want to try.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank joyNewYork_Ny
Reviewed January 11, 2009

A great location, great idea of eco living and a great chef. The huts, for what you get are expensive, at $50 per night...beach huts are a 200m walk to the outdoor unprivate loo and the outdoor shower requires you to wind a wheel to get your water, which all adds to the quirkiness, however you would think this would make it a cheaper place to stay.

The food while great was served to us with no choice of what to eat or what time we ate. As paying guests we wanted a choice as its not as if you can really walk to an alternative eatery in the pitch black at night when the tropical rain is pounding down as its muddy and slippery. Also we were with 3 hungry males whos portions needed to be larger. Because if this $14 is expensive when compared to other eateries on the island.

Despite saying we were going to stay 4 night after one night we all agreed it wasn't the place for us. We told Ramon, the owner, who sadly became very angry and screamed loudly at us and use threatening language. He stormed off and left us to settle the bill with the chef. $290 for 5 people for one night! I am sure this place suits some people from other reviews - however, there is a reality to the eco front of this place. Not value for money and unfriendly proprietor. Even Dereks based on same principles gives a powered hut!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Amanda_Sally
Reviewed January 9, 2008

Fantastic, simple place with a rustic appeal. We spent over a week in one of the casitas and fell in love with the entire island. The kitchen in the cabin was equipped so you can easily cook your own food. It was the perfect way to start our Christmas vacation. They also have a very nice, sophisticated website.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank jrumps
Reviewed December 9, 2007

Ramon has built a very special place, and we will be back again. A bit funky, but with love and care.

Stayed: April 2007
0 mi away
Hotel Los Delfines
Hotel Los Delfines
#5 of 7 in Little Corn Island

Been to Ensuenos? Share your experiences!