“Fairy Land Paradise”
Review of Derek's Place

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Little Corn Island
Derek's Place
Reviewed June 9, 2011

Anna, the kind hearted woman from Barcelona, and her vibrant young daughter, Lola, greet us as we hop off the panga onto the beautiful shores of Little Corn Island. We are grateful to hand off our packs to a hired local with a wheel barrow as we set off down a trail through the small village following our delightfully shoeless hosts. We pass by people listening to miskito music, living simply, and waving hello. Before long the trail narrows as the trees fold in around us. We are in the jungle. Lola smiles as she plucks a perfectly ripe mango from the ground, grinning, "Here, have some... this one is perfect." Following suit, my boyfriend and I take a small bite off the end of our mangos, sucking the juice, enjoying it's absolute sweetness. Eventually the trail opens up as we approach the grounds of Derek's Place. I am awestruck. Soft green grass under my feet dotted with swaying palms. Cool breeze on my face, Ahhh... The Caribbean Sea. A few thatched roof cabanas on stilts encircle the space along with a fantastic fire pit, and hammocks swinging to and fro over the water. The best is yet to come as Anna takes us on a tour of our home for the next five nights.

We choose the Cabana Casita closest to the water. Removing our shoes, we explore the peaceful little structure. The quaint cabana provides a comfortable bed with soft sheets, plenty of groovy shelf space, shells and rocks as decor, a homemade shag rug, a glass lamp inside and a funky outdoor light, windows that stay propped open with bamboo shoots, and hammocks on the front porch. I couldn't have designed it better myself. I can't stop grinning. We move on to explore the magical outdoor shower and the candlelit bathroom. Wow. This place is unlike anything we've ever seen. I instantly feel at peace. As we settle in, Anna informs us dinner is in the main building around 8 o'clock. We sit on the reclined rock/driftwood seats near the fire, chatting with other guests and sipping Tonas as we anticipate our meal.

We feast on delicious peel and eat shrimp, fresh salad, homemade bread, and coconut rice. An absolute treat. Both the friendly conversation of the family style dinner and the amazing food made for a wonderful first night at Derek's Place. After dinner we see the moon coming up from the horizon like a giant peach. Where are we? I smile at my Miguel, "We've found Paradise."

In the morning we wake up slowly - sipping Coffee and reading on our quaint little porch. Derek let's us borrow some snorkeling equipment before we set out toward Farm Peace and Love where the water is nice and calm. We are excited to explore the reefs. Brightly colored fish and coral, sting rays, starfish and a small shark fill the turquoise waters. What an adventure. Making our way back to Derek's, we decide to do some yoga on the soft grass overlooking the water. Palm trees create shade for us as we move through one of the best yoga series' of our lives. The cool breeze brings strength and peace to our bodies. Ahhh. So wonderful. The remaining days continued like this. Beautifully simple and incredibly happy.

I can hardly express how glad I am to have found Derek's place. My highest recommendation to anyone who wants to treat themselves to a truly remarkable island experience. Enjoy!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Molly1227

Reviewed June 3, 2011

Imagine a paradise island ,sandy beaches, laid back lifestyle , the outdoor life, getting away form it all. Want a taste on your summer holidays? We did too. We selected Derek's place knowing it would be simple, accepting that it seemed a little pricey for what looked like a hut in a tree, and even resigning ourselves to paying for the whole of our three day booking ahead of time with out reservation as you can't put a price on the beautiful simplicity of island warmness...right? WRONG

To sum up in a sentence everything is 'for a price' ,(Ana's phrase as she 'offered' us leftovers from the food she dished up for her child's birthday party). For the princely sum you get:
A novelty treehouse - not as appealing after half an hour without sleep
inadequate protection from mosquitoes
No security (save for a flimsy safe)
Communal toilets about 50 metres from said tree which is tricky to traverse at night
bathing in the form of an empty liquid drum half filled with water plus a scoop to pour cold water over you.
To watch Derek and Ana livin the
dream.
if you want to be a paying spectator of Derek's unique family idyll it's the place for you.
For us at the end of our stay a visit to the ancient aircon and fragrant atmosphere of the sunshine hotel was heaven.

Ps I don't know where trip advisor has sourced the intel on the average price from but add a nought and times 2 minus any chance of cancelling and you have a better idea of the true cost

• Stayed: July 2010
2  Thank twiceasright
Reviewed May 15, 2011

Stayed at Derek's for four nights in the Bottle House.

Incredible setting, just a few metres from beach and surrounded by coconut trees and crazy 'tellytubbyish' grass. Cabanas are basic but charming good sea breeze.

Bit of a walk into town but great food cooked in Derek's wood-fired oven.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lucy_witham
Reviewed May 2, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed in Derek's place for one week whilst we dive our dive course on the island. We loved every minute of our stay there. We found Derek and Anna to be superb hosts - they met us from the boat and helped lug our luggage from the village to the house. We paid 45$ a night to stay in a superb eco bungalow with an ocean view. The electricity was intermittent (wind powered) - but this was NOT a problem - it is an eco lodge after all. We had plenty of candles for when there was no electricity and this simply increased the romantic atmosphere. We ate with Derek and Anna and their young family every night and the food was fantastic - fresh fish most nights - heavenly. The late eating times were perfect after a long day diving. The beach in front of our cabana was amazing - very private and secluded. Security was a slight issue but we had a good sized safety box in our room. I do feel though it would be a good idea to fix locks to the doors to so guests can lock there rooms. This would be my only gripe with the room. My girlfriend did wish for warm water showers also but i enjoyed the shower block. Derek's is a good 20 minutes walk through a forest path but this was great fun - except after rain which made the mud slippery in places. Make sure you bring US$ with you for payment and mozzie repellent is also a good idea and good flip-flops/shoes for the walk to the "town".

I am happy to recommend Derek's to anybody - it really is a beautiful little spot on an amazingly brilliant island. Thank you to Derek and Anna for looking after my girlfriend and I.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LoveMyHammock
Reviewed April 27, 2011

We took our kids ages 6 and 9 and stayed in the Beach House, which has two upstairs bedroom's that are way cute (think The Hobbit) as you have to duck your head to walk around in them. My best memories will be falling asleep to the ocean and nice ocean breeze and waking up to a view of paradise. The house is full of gifts from the island and the sea - recycled glass for windows, a perfect piece of driftwood for a bench, etc. And so when you are inside you have a wonderful sense of still being outside, but we were hardly inside. Derek's has great food but we tried to save money and were limited to what the grocery store sold but if I were to do it again, I would bring more of our own food. Catch the snorkel boats that go by in the am or pm by flagging them down from the beach. We walked to town a few times (daytime and at night) and it was no big deal, even with kids - but you get to where you don't want to leave Derek's. Be sure to bring a headlamp. Can't say enough about Derek's - it was heavenly.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have a great view
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank WyoBlueSkies
Reviewed March 27, 2011

We had a wonderful time on Little Corn an Dereks was a fun and different place to stay. The little houses were each true works of art in themselves and I saw something different every time I looked. The beach was a little rough but a much calmer one was just a few steps around a bend. The breeze kept the stay very comfortable and looking out the window at the beach in the middle of the night was one of my favorite memories. Derek and his family were friendly and helpful but not intrusive at all. The electricity was a little spotty while we were there but were told that they had a bigger wind generator on the way. All in all it was a great place.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank KSue52
Reviewed March 25, 2011

This is a nice place for what is available on Little Corn - very expensive for what you get. We were robbed and the owners made us feel like we were the perpetrators not the victims. Seemed to want to sweep it under the "grass" shall we say.

a little guest orientation would be in order - what is all charged for, where the safest and best trails into town are, bathroom useage, meals and what to expect on site.

Power is very hit an miss when you most need it. highly recommend having head lamps and led battery operated lites if you dont want to be in the dark when you least expect it.

the island life is awesome.................. enjoy

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
#3 of 7 in Big Corn Island
Ensuenos
Ensuenos
#3 of 11 in Little Corn Island

Been to Derek's Place? Share your experiences!