“Amazing!! My new favorite place on earth!”

Little Corn Beach and Bungalow
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Portland
“Amazing!! My new favorite place on earth!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2010

Imagine laying in a hammock while the light breeze sways you to the rythum of the surf and a beautiful native brings you the finest margaritas you will ever have in your life. AHHH HEAVEN!
Details: This place is Eco Friendly Rustic. You will not get cable TV here or be able to get your nails done. The owners have designed each cabanna to be comfortable yet eco freindly. The tin roofs collect rain wanter which is used for the shower and sink. (yes the tin roof can be loud in a rain storm but it put us right to sleep) The cabins are well ventilated with windows and placed to maximize air flow and beautiful white mosquito nets are provided for the pests although when we were there the bugs were not an issue at all. we didnt even use the bug spray we had brought along.
This place is an oasis from everyday life and they provide everything you will need to be content and at peace. The staff is gracious and helpful without being obtrusive. The cook is amazing and the menu ranges from steak and lobster to curry with vegtables and rice for dinner, to "from scratch" coconut french toast to hevos rancheras for breakfast. We were expecting to loose weight on our trip, after all were in nicaragua! Not here no! Every meal was amazing! (did i mention their margaritas?? YUM)

Do yourself a favor when you make your reservation and ask Scott to set you up with a boat driver, he will send Elvis (or other trusted local) and his smaller ponga to come get you. its expensive but its very much worth it, specialy if you arrive in stormy weather or are not to sure about crossing open ocean in a small boat.

I will return and i will bring my 4 yr old and my friends!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Portland OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2010

If your idea of a beach vacation includes a spa suite on the 15th floor and hanging out by the pool after shopping all day, then this place is not for you. However, if you are like me, this place is Heaven. From the moment we got on the island we were taken care of. Friendly staff met us at the boat and carried our luggage the short walk through the jungle path to the bungalows. As we arrived we were offered drinks and shown our room. Simple in construction yet comfortable. We were shown some of the features of the room and left to relax for a few minutes before we signed for our rooms. We were skeptical about the food given the remoteness of the island. We could not be more wrong. The food was excellent and the drinks were even better. The quality of service and food would rival most 4star hotels. It was clear that each and every detail we encountered on the property was handled with a personal level of care for each and every guest.

The only problem we encountered on our trip was from the boat from Big Corn Island. To avoid this problem I recommend spending a little extra and have the hotel book a private boat. We did this for the return trip and had a much improved trip.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2010

I absolutely loved Beach & Bungalow. We arrived Little Corn soaking wet and left our luggage at a hotel connected to the dive shop in order to check out differnt places. All three were perfectly fine, including Casa Iguana (nice setting, but cabins at B&B were better). In fact, I love the cabinas at B&B, they are the best. They are cute, clean, comfortable and have easy access to town. The kitcen floor was painted thus we did not have kitchen access there, but we went to different restaurants on the beach, which is perfectly fine by me because I like variety. We were served coffee on the beach in the morning at B&B which very pleasant. The hammocks @ B&B were most inviting. I have traveled a lot and give B&B my highest marks. When we needed information such as changing our flight and hotels and taxis in Managua/Granada, Scott found that out for us and made arrangements. No hassle. If I ever go back again, I would definitely go to B&B, it was so calm and relaxing. Happy journey to all. J

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2010

My husband and I found our personal vacation paradise here at Little Corn Beach and Bungalow. Our bungalow was right on the beach with a clean bathroom, hot shower and a comfortable queen bed. Island power goes off about 5am thus the fans go off but there was a nice ocean breeze.

When we arrived the owner shared with us many interesting (we thought anyway) facts about the island and the resort and then off we went to enjoy our new found paradise. We hiked some cool trails, kayaked and climbed the old light tower. Don’t get me wrong though, we spent plenty of time in the hammocks!

The staff was really nice and friendly. We had great food and killer margs and yes, the prices on the islands in general are higher than the mainland but we felt they were very fair for the quality and quantity we received because it has got to be difficult getting things to the island. We had a wonderful stay and we appreciate their focus on taking care of the islands environment (rain water recycling and their water bottle refill program especially).

We are coming back some day!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2010

We stayed at little Corn BB in August for about 4 days at the head of our 5-week stay in Nicaragua. It was a perfect place to start our first visit to this amazing country. We were traveling with our 8-year-old son and he loved it as well. Clean, comfortable (although the lofts do get a bit hot), friendly and helpful staff, nice food and a central great location in a more-or-less central part of the island. We hope to return one day!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2010

Difficult to decide what's better: the location, the accommodations, the owners, or the margaritas.

• Stayed April 2010
1 Thank criollo_gringo
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at LCBB for 4 nights in September 2010. We booked the accommodation purely on the basis of TA reviews (and also the management responses to some of the more negative reviews on here that I felt demonstrated a professional attitude).

On arrival at the dock, you are met by one of the hotel staff and he helps carry your bags across the island (a short 5-10 min walk) to the accommodation which is nice.

One of the first things that I felt left a sour taste concerns the welcome from the owner. Not that the welcome was a problem- It was just that on arrival he offers you a drink while you sit down with him and have the 'welcome chat'. I wasn't sure if he was offering alcoholic or soft drinks and so asked what they had on offer and he recommended a cocktail- a mudslide. That was fine and initially i thought, what a great welcome.
We had our drinks while he sat us down and explained the eco philosophy of the accommodation.
He also said that everything would be kept on a tab to pay for at the end of our stay. And when I say everything, I mean everything!- accommodation, drinks, food bills, bottles of water, kayak hire, the lot. Now some people may find this convenient, but I like to keep an eye on my cash and have a daily budget, so I really didn't like not knowing exactly where we were up to. I asked if I could pay as I went along (as i had done at all other places we stayed in in central America) but I was told that this wasn't allowed.
To be fair, when I asked to check what we had spent on a daily basis, the staff did accommodate this and were happy to tell me how much we had spent so far each day. It was then though that i discovered that the welcome cocktail and beer we had drank on the first day, had been applied to our bill! I was also gobsmacked to see that the cocktail that I had cost US$ 7 (about £5) which was easily and by far the most expensive drink I had in the entire 7 weeks that I travelled through Central America.
I wondered if I had maybe misunderstood or misheard his drink offer, but we were on our balcony a few days later when another couple arrived and sure enough, he did the same thing to them: offering a drink on arrival in a manner that would suggest that they were complimentary. I feel that the management should either change the way in which they phrase their offer or simply give the drinks complimentary as I am sure that we can't be the only ones who had this misconception.

Other than that, for us, the welcome chat wasn't a problem, but I can see that for some (especially if you were tired and/or hungry), the last thing you would want to do after a long journey is to have to sit down and have the chat.
With regards the chat, I am all for saving energy and recycling etc... but I am confident enough in my abilities to do so of my own accord. In all the travelling I have done, I have never been told by a hotelier how often I should flush the toilet!: "if its yellow let it mellow, if its brown flush it down". My boyfriend and I just laughed, but I felt that these 'tips' would be much better written down and given in a small booklet in the room perhaps, rather than in a chat that could (by some) be perceived as patronising or directive.

The location is lovely- right on the beach with beautifully landscaped gardens.

The room: We were so disappointed with the room. It has 2 double beds (with mosquito nets), but these are very small doubles so as a couple you either sleep apart (and fight over who gets the fan) or both cram into a tiny double. I'm a UK size 8 and my boyfriend is trim and we struggled, so if you were bigger you'd probably have no option but to sleep apart.
The electricity shuts off at about 5am and once that fan stops, its not long before the temperature starts rising and so you generally wake feeling hot and sweaty.
The windows do not have mozzie wire- only lobster wire (?) so unless you shut the wooden shutters (so now its gloomy) mosquitoes and other bugs are free to fly in and out. Also, above the shower, there are wooden ventilation slats but these are fixed open so that again, sound and mosquitoes can enter your sleeping area.
The shower and the taps use recycled rain water (from the roof of your cabin) and I wasn't really happy washing myself, and especially my face, with untreated water particularly as (as the owner himself said)- you don't know what gecko's have been pooing on your roof.
The shower is an electric head one that gives hot water but only at certain times.
The room itself is kept lovely and clean but the lighting is poor, so that it only ever appears dull and gloomy (unless its the middle of the day and you have all doors and window shutters open).

Joanne, the Canadian manager was just lovely! She was professional, always happy to help and more importantly just a genuinely friendly and interesting woman. The owners should hang onto her because she (and the rest of the staff) are the reason that, despite the accommodation, we look back on our stay there with fond memories.

We had originally planned to stay for 5 nights at LCBB but instead stayed for 4 and went over to Big Corn for the last night. Once on Big Corn, we really, really wished we had stayed there for the majority of the time and maybe just spent 1 night (or done a day trip) to Little Corn.

Please don't read my review in a negative light. if you are true to heart eco-warriors or 'outdoorsey' types, then I'm sure you will love this place. However, if like me you don't like mozzies flying round the room and the only 'creature' comforts you like are things like a big comfy bed, a good warm shower, light and possibly a/c (MUCH needed in Central America) and maybe a TV, then this is definitely not the place for you. Additionally we found other places on Little Corn that had much better facilities for cheaper.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank doublechoc-chip
georgiesdad, Owner at Little Corn Beach and Bungalow, responded to this review, October 14, 2010
We are sorry that our guests from Manchester did not enjoy their stay with us. As can be seen by the fact that we respond to reviewers that have had less than a “great” experience . . . we care!

We do appreciate their kind words for our staff and have let them know what a good job they are doing. Our staff is a great bunch!

As owners who live on sight and make ourselves available, we are disappointed when a guest has concerns or feedback and does not share it with us in the moment. We try our best to make everyone happy and have a history of implementing changes big and small based on our guest feedback.

As you read their review please keep in mind that we are on a Remote Tropical Island (RTI), on a beach, in a jungle and next to the sea. Our website points this out. We deal with everything from limited electricity, very high shipping and procurement costs (on some items you can double the cost paid in Managua by the time things reach LCI) to the myriad of issues that can arise due to our relative isolation. Big Corn Island for instance has 24 hr. electricity, LCI 15 hrs if we are lucky, BCI has cars and simple means of delivery, LCI has wheelbarrows and a 15 minute walk across the island, BCI has an airport, LCI does not. These differences are just the tip of the iceberg.

We respect our guest’s right to their opinion about their stay. But, when facts are misconstrued we feel compelled to respond.

The reason we recycle rain water is because LCI’s most likely stressed resource is its fresh water supply. A burgeoning population and tourist industry over the last 25 years has put the ongoing viability of the resource in question. Our efforts to make our guests aware of this potential challenge is intended to provide the information they may need to do what they can to minimize their impact on this RTI. We cover this and other info in the 10 to 15 minute introduction to LCI. One result of these efforts is our resort uses 80% less of the village supplied water as do similar hotels around the island that do not take the steps that we do. We think our guest’s, our staff and our resort can be proud of this fact.

Our guest from Manchester was reticent to wash with recycled rain water. Imagine how she may have felt had she drank it if I had not suggested (in what I thought was a humorous way) that it was potentially unwise to do so?

Each bungalow (including theirs) has a Queen size bed and a Full (they call it a “matrimonial” in Nicaragua because it is for two people).

The hot shower works only when there is electricity to operate the device (which is explained in our welcome).

The Bungalows have a porch light, main ceiling light, bathroom light and a nightstand lamp. The slats in the bathroom are to provide light and ventilation for the 9 hrs a day that there is no electricity.

I am sorry about the confusion on the drink. We operate a bar and restaurant where we sell libations and food to our guests and visitors and were unaware that there could be miscommunication along that line.

The drink prices are located on a menu at the table where we sit to introduce ourselves and the island.

The “Mudslide” is an all alcohol drink with shots of Kalua, Baileys, Vodka and Rum. Everything but the rum has to be imported to Nicaragua where duties and taxes may double the cost you might pay in the US. Then the liquor has to find its way to a RTI adding again to the cost of the raw material. The drink is 15oz blended with ice that is not cheap to have available (think RTI). The price for a Mudslide on Big Corn Island is $7, and the price here regardless of the increased costs of getting it to our RTI is the same, $7. As another point of comparison, a Pina Colada in Mangau costs in the $7 range and is a Rum drink which is relatively cheap.

Our guests went to BCI and stayed at a hotel that charges about 70% (our rate was 56/nt) more than we do and provided the services they preferred, a/c, 24hr electricity, TV, no recycled rainwater, etc. cars and roads. We are happy that they found something more to their liking.

We respectfully ask guests considering a stay with us to visit our website and become familiar with the types of amenities we provide and our goal of minimizing our impact on the delicate eco system of this RTI (Remote Tropical Island). This visit may help you decide if our “eco-friendly” approach and our relatively limited luxury are something you would enjoy. Wishing you safe travels.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Corn Island
Yemaya Island Hideaway & Spa
Yemaya Island Hideaway & Spa
#2 of 7 in Little Corn Island
Las Palmeras Beachfront Boutique Hotel
Las Palmeras Beachfront Boutique...
#4 of 7 in Little Corn Island
#4 of 7 in Big Corn Island
Hotel Bellavista
Hotel Bellavista
#5 of 7 in Big Corn Island

Been to Little Corn Beach and Bungalow? Share your experiences!