“A beautiful place, two wonderful hosts”

La Princesa de la Isla
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Big Corn Island
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We had a wonderful time at La Princesa de la Isla! The cabins have been built using local material and craftsmenship. Check out the beautiful roofs made of palm leaves! And everyone can see that the owners decorate the place with lots of love: not only the rooms, but also the gardens and common areas. This is not so common on the Corn Islands, where most accommodations are very basic and rather practical than beautiful. This is certainly different at C. + A.'s place!
We also loved the food and all the help to find our way on the islands: check out the stunning picnic beach (only a 10 minutes walk from Princesa)

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for La Princesa de la Isla

Reviewed February 24, 2014

We spent 5 nights in La Princesa de la Isla and definitely I think it´s the best choice in the Big Corn Island. The accomodation is in walking distance to the village, to the port, to the airport and it is situated directly on the shore! The nearest coral reef is few meters from your room! The Italian couple Costanza and Alessandro and their parents are great! From arrival to departure we felt like at home and the staff looked after us with the incredible care! Costanza answered our request of accommodation very quickly and everything went without any problems. When we arrived a courtessy car was waiting for us on the pier. It was very nice because we came in the evening (the same service is provided when you are leaving).
We stayed in standard room, it was perfectly clean and very spacious. We appreciated the original bathroom "tiles" and unconventional shower made of seashell.
The restaurant is great! Alessandro prepared a special New Year's seafood menu and I have to confirm that I have never eaten anything so delicious! The Italian cuisine is excellent! Try a cappuccino too!
If you want Alessandro is ready to help you to organize a trip or to recommend a reliable guide.
The only think we didn´t like on Big Corn are the mosquitoes. There is a swamp inside the island and unfortunately this fact contributes to high incidence of the mosquitoes. Remember to take a lot of insect repellent!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Z29
Reviewed February 8, 2014

We were very happy to have enjoyed the hospitality of our wonderful Italian hosts - Alessandro and Costanza on the Corn Islands. Grazie mille! They were truly wonderful and very gracious every time we needed to call yet another cab. I regret that my Italian was so rusty as I miss speaking Italian - and would have enjoyed talking with them more. Our first introduction was my husband asking desperately if there was a place to watch the all important 49'er game. Alessandro and his father in law - moved aside and let my husband watch the game in their house on their television until my husband felt bad for intruding on their home and the soccer game they were watching (Italy lost.) He watched 1/2 of the game in their home then tried to find some place on the island that would be showing the football game. (He had no luck in this endeavor.)

Costanza's father always wanted to live on an island and moved out to Big Corn many years ago. The family followed from Rome and made their lives there. They have a very pretty spot at the edge of the water - which you could hear at night. (I might recommend a ceiling fan to minimize the noise from the floor fan so we could better hear the waves!)

We ate dinner there the first night - and I was so happy to have a bit of Italian food. We both had really enjoyed the Nicaraguan food - but this was a taste of home for me - so it was so welcome. The best tiramisu I ever ate was at the Princesa on Big Corn. Coming from Napa - I do prefer California wines - but it was nice to have some wine at all - and I cannot imagine how difficult it is for them to bring the wine and the spices and herbs back to this remote island every year from Rome. The food and wine was costly - but when you think of the difficulty of transporting it all - it makes sense.

The most lovely surprise came when Costanza's father greeted us on the early morning of our departure with a beautiful tray of coffee for the road and kisses on the cheek. It melted my heart and made me miss my grandfather, who would have done something just like this.

The only suggestions I have would be to have"honor bar" for filling water so we could write down how much water we took instead of having to bother the hosts to ask them to fill it up all the time It would also be preferable to have a bar of soap in the shower rather than liquid antibacterial soap. Other than this - the Princesa de la Isla was wonderful!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

This was our second time to la princesa and it was even better than the first. I have mentioned before the rooms are rustic and charming the grounds make you feel like u are home. 14 days of rest and relaxation. I love the fact that they are basically sharing their home with u. I fell that they our a friends and they give so much care attention, I won't go any where else on corn island. And the food is amazing. It's always cooked in perfection and Alex slaves for his food. (A little joke lol). The place is great give it a try. U won't be disappointed. Alex and Costanza Thank You

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Es-Bueno
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We were met at the dock by a taxi sent from the hotel, yes, it was beat up but the driver was nice.
When we arrived at the property, we were greeted by the owners. My son and wife had the bungalow and were pleased. Clean, hot water. I was in one of the rooms. Mosquito netting over bed, stone shower, very clean.
The property was clean and beach was nice, a little rocky but that's nature. Our first night, we had dinner at another restaurant .
Breakfast was light, Italian coffee and toast. Dinner was great, very well prepared.
Before we left the next morning, the father brought coffee to our rooms.
Would stay again.

As for the dogs, they are on both islands, they don't bother you and will leave if you tell them to go.

Overall positive experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 23, 2013

First I want to say we did not actually sleep at this hotel, before arrival on Corn Island we decided to book a three nights for the price of two "deal" at a nearby hotel and are very sorry that we did , but this review is not about the other place. We were taking a walk down the beach and came across La Princessa and loved it immediately. The first person we encountered was the owner Alessandro who was charming and nice and took us on a tour, even though we told him we were already booked somewhere else. He then took us to the restaurant to meet his daughter Costanza so we could find out about their dinner service. We were enchanted with the place and immediately book dinner for two that night.
When we arrived they had set up a table out on the point away from the restaurant so we could have cocktails and watch the sunset, it was beautiful. We then moved over to the restaurant so we could begin our four course Italian family-style dinner we started with the pasta course finished with the tiramisu and in between had delicious octopus and lobster, somewhere in there there was a cheese course as well. We ordered a bottle of nice Italian red wine which probably was the most we spent for wine while we were in Nicaragua but it was also the only wine we had during our entire trip to that was actually worth drinking. Because we also live on an Island after the meal we asked the family if they would like to sit down with us and tell us about what it was like to live on Corn Island. They happily joined us and we proceeded to have the most lovely time getting to know each other, we spent a couple hours with them , they brought out a nice bottle of flor de Cana to share with us and when it got quite late give us a ride "for free in their car" back to our hotel . If and when we ever make it back to corn islands we will definitely be staying at La Princessa de la Isla. In response to some of the other reviews about garbage and feral dogs , I have to wonder if the reviewers actually went anywhere else on the island. First ,Corn Island is extremely poor and just like most other poor Islands garbage and feral dogs are a problem , second the owners of La Princessa cannot control the roads that lead to their hotel however their beach is not covered with trash, and the few old dogs that do hang around the hotel are there because the owners are kind enough to feed them.
Thanks again of a great evening .

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NickiandSev
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We arrived at this hotel from the airport in 'Hotel Vans' (which were actually beat up cars with trunks that didn't close properly and inside panels of doors missing) and pulled up to what looked like an abandoned pavilion. We were met by an aggressive angry man who called us 'cheap' and 'demanding'. Despite the fact that we chose this place based on the restaurant we were told that the chef was back in Rome because his mom died (and then later because his mom was sick...hmm?) I spoke to the guy and said we didn't want to stay there because the beach was full of rocks, the wifi wasn't working (which he said to me 'that's not my problem!'), and there was no one to cook. His answer was 'go take a taxi to get food or I can cook you spaghetti.' He was unacceptably inhospitable, angry, accusatory and rude. I am glad we decided not to stay there. (On a side note, there are sickly feral dogs running all over the property and trash everywhere).

• Stayed: June 2013
6  Thank Sassyirishlassie
Hic-manebimus-optime, Proprietario at La Princesa de la Isla, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

Dear Sir,
We had the chance to read your message and we thank you for giving us an idea.

You used the secondary entrance and the passage in the service area on the back of the hotel (that you defined an abandoned pavilion) because the main entrance is not available due to works on the road. It seems that our explanations about it were not enough clear to understand the actual situation so, to remedy, we hung at the gate a sign on which we wrote:

SERVICE ENTRANCE.
We apologize with our guests for using this entrance: the main entrance is temporarily not available due to the works for the new coastal road. Thanks for understanding.

The pictures of the sign and of the main entrance of the hotel during the works are now shown on TripAdvisor.

Anyway, everybody can see the pictures of our place and to distinguish which is the back (and service) part of the land of our property compared the front.

About the wi-fi, I am sorry but we are on an island in Nicaragua where unfortunately the connection to internet sometimes doesn’t work.

Concerning the other arguments of the review we prefer not make any comment, we would like only to clarify that before your arrival you were been informed that our chef would not be present: we apologize very much that the personal reasons of his absence may have caused doubts or irony.

Best regards.

For information, the works for the new coastal road will finish in few days.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Big Corn Island
#4 of 7 in Big Corn Island
Sunshine Hotel
Sunshine Hotel
#3 of 7 in Little Corn Island

Been to La Princesa de la Isla? Share your experiences!