“Amazing views, amazing hosts, amazing location”

La Princesa de la Isla
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Big Corn Island
Reviewed June 17, 2012

The place is owned by an Italian family that moved to Big Corn Island.

Our bungalow was 15 meters (around 50 feet) from the sea. Although the beach is more snorkel friendly than swimmer's friendly, it would take a 10 minute walk on the beach from La Princesa to Pic Nic Beach which is the best and biggest beach on Big Corn.

This place is ideal if you want to relax at night, laying in a hammock watching the moon reflect in the sea, listen to the waves, smoking a cigar and sipping on Flor de Cana. Rooms were perfectly clean and spacious.

As their heritage might stereotypically indicate, our hosts were very CHARMING, AMAZING cooks, and they gave us pointers on going around town. Breakfast (which is not complementary but worth your money) was delicious, and we ate dinner there during our second night and it was MIND-BLOWING. We kept coming back during the remainder of our Big Corn stay and never got disappointed.

Absolutely recommended!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank fichkey
There are newer reviews for La Princesa de la Isla

Reviewed May 3, 2012

My spouse and I, mid 50’s professionals, are on the back end of a week’s stay. The accommodations are affordable, unpretentious and conveniently located on Big Corn Island’s breeze-caressed Woula Point. We have found our charming Italian hosts to be genuinely helpful; extending every effort to create a memorable experience for us. They have patiently answered every question, provided maps, dining recommendations, a safety briefing, lively conversation, and some high octane Nicaraguan espresso for the early riser.
The property is quiet (except for the sound of crashing waves), clean, and well maintained. Biting insects have not put in an appearance – for which we are thankful. Accommodations are basic wooden and thatch structures, minimally decorated. For our part, this is simple elegance, complemented by reliable wireless access.
If a continuous Caribbean breeze, nearby sandy swimming beaches, modestly priced digs and authentic Italian cuisine are your thing, then look no further.
La Princess de Isla is like a fine wine – sniff, sip, swish, and savor – drink deeply of the vine whose time has arrived.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dave D
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Usually you write your reviews and comments about your trip after you go back home, calm, quite from your desk. I'm writing this review right in front of the Caribbean turquoise-emerald colored water, sitting in a beach chair in la Princesa's front yard. I took some minutes to write this review because I want to try to transmit the awesomeness of this almost-perfect paradise I have all around me right now!

Being here is priceless, and price is one think you don't have to worry about in this gorgeous island in the Nicaragua Caribbean side (It's very cheap compared to the rest of the "famous" islands in the Caribbean)!
I found La Princesa de la Isla Hotel here, in Tripadvisor, as the number 1 Hotel in the Island. There are so many things that make this hotel the number one in the ranking.

First thing I should mention is the gorgeous landscaping and surroundings, the Hotel is located right in front of the beach. The rooms are about 30 m. away from the water crashing in the white perfect sand. It's a rustic place. If you are looking for extremely luxury rooms and big resorts style, this could be the wrong place for you. Even though, the rooms are clean, beautiful in a Caribbean-rustic style. They have hot water and fans, the beds are ok, cute little shells and "Caracolas" decorate the rooms. In any case if you go to this AWESOME Island you don't mean to spend the whole day in your room!!!

The Hotel is located in a very good spot, in a pretty beach, and close to even better beaches. If you take a 15 min walk to the the south you will find the most beautiful beach in the island, called "Pic nic Beach". If you walk 15 min north you enter into the little picturesque "downtown"!
For me the most attractive of the hotel aren't the lovely hammocks in front of the beach, the beautiful hotel buildings or the good location. I "fell in love" with the lovely-nice-charming-sweet-adorable family that owns the place! Alessandro, Pietro, Costanza, all of them are great!!! They make you feel like if you were visiting old Italian friends.
They fix up the shuttle from the airport (which is included in the rate) and wait for you in the Hotel entrance, giving you a warm welcome. They speak Italian, Spanish and English so you shouldn't have problems of communication.
Costanza is famous for her DELICIOUS cuisine, she manages to put the homemade Italian flavors to your table right in front of the beach! Pasta, Fish, Lobster, etc... Everything she prepares with her Husband (They cook and serve together) is just delicious! Some reviews mention her restaurant as "Overpriced", but I find it OK, anyways after you have a dinner at La Princesa you wouldn't mind to pay twice of the price!

I could keep writing... I fully recommend this place, meet Costanza and her dad, ask them all the questions you could have about the island, best places to go, what to do, etc. Sit for a while and enjoy the very quite environment in front of your room door. If you go to Corn Island You really should go to La Princesa!

Room Tip: Any room is just fine!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank RonaldGS
Reviewed April 17, 2012

If luxury is a must well this place may not be for you. But if you want to feel as if you are home on the island well this is the place. Costanza and her family are the warmest and most hospitable people that you will ever meet on any vacation. The rooms are spacious and relaxing the grounds are comfortable and inviting. And the shower water is just right. If waking up and enjoying fresh fruit and the best coffee this make your stay that much better. And location, location you feel that you ard miles away from everything but in reality you are closest to all but in a place were quiet time is un matched. Rustic and charming and the jewel of both islands.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Es-Bueno
Reviewed April 7, 2012

After reading the reviews on the internet, I decided to put La Pricesa de la Isla
into my top priorities. Although I called a month ago for room, the place was
still all reserved, but I decided to go there and have a taste of the food anyway.
I went there at the end on March and beginning of April, which was Semana Santa.
I made a reservation for food on the first day and went there on the second day.
I ordered the lobster and spaghetti one. On the second day I went there at noon,
they already had my tables prepared waiting for me to come. The first course
for that day was home made cheese with marmalade, which tasted great.
The second course was spaghetti , at first I thought it was the main course
and they got it wrong...but letter I found out it was just the second course
the main dish has not come yet. My main dish was lobster, they cooked it
in Italian flavor, which was wonderful cause I never tasted anything like this
in Nicaragua. They had dessert in the end, for that day was icecream.
La princesa de la isla was so beautiful I decided to stay there the whole
afternoon, Even though I wasn't a guest for there rooms, they treated me very
well. They got me a chair to relax in front of the beach, which is a very clean
and beautiful place to lay down and just relax. I rented their scuba gear for
5 dollars and went scuba in the afternoon, they introduced me to the place
where was easy to get in the sea. The place was so great I came back again
on the forth day of my trip. The second time I came back I had fish and
spaghetti. The fish was the best fish I had on the island and I strongly recommend
it. This place definitely have the best food on the island, although it's not cheap
compared to the others, I think it's worth the price. Just make a reservation
beforehand and come here for great food great service and great view.
I'd say it's a must eat place on the island.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank KirbyPop
Reviewed February 25, 2012

This rustic hotel has rooms a stone's throw from the ocean. Rooms are comfortable, attractive and clean. La Princesa de la Isla is run by a charming Italian family who are very attentive, and great cooks! Meals are pricey, but copious and delicious. Nothing like a home-cooked Italian meal if you're sick of blah Central American cuisine.

A two minute walk in either direction will bring you to long stretches of deserted white sand beaches that are great for swimming.

My wife and I were really happy there. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank earljones
Reviewed February 25, 2012

What a wonderful place! First off, the owners are amazing, from the minute we showed up they made us feel like we were old friends staying at their home as compared to tourist on a beautiful island. Their food was amazing, be sure to bring an appetite. I could have eaten everyone of my dinners here. As for the room, well I liked them, although if you require pampering or enjoy the mega resort lifestyle do not expect to find it here. The water pressure is low, but you should expect this when traveling to areas such as this. To repeat, I did like the rooms, after all I was hard to beat going to sleep 50 feet from the ocean.
Overall I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for great food, great company, and a laid back experience.

• Stayed: February 2012
#3 of 7 in Big Corn Island
Sunshine Hotel
Sunshine Hotel
#3 of 7 in Little Corn Island

Been to La Princesa de la Isla? Share your experiences!