“Nice but there are other value options”
Review of Casa Canada

and 1 more site!
Casa Canada
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Big Corn Island
Reviewed August 14, 2009

Well the hotel facilities and decor is fabulous. The ample pictures can attest to that. Overlooking the ocean while swimming in the pool was delightful. The rooms are spacious and clean. The showers and AC, while not exactly 5 star, are probably the best this tiny island has to offer.

Breakfast is included, consisting of 1 entree and coffee/tea. Fruit and Juice are extra. Water is extra charge!

There is internet available for use. The staff is friendly. It was beautiful just waking up to the ocean. There is a mini-bar in your room.

So why wasn't I thrilled with this place? Well...it is not directly on the beach (which I knew beforehand). We took a taxi to the Arenas beach, and paid $10 to use their lounge chairs all day. There is a tiny beach nearby but not one you'd sit at all day.

Secondly, we thought the staff was a bit lazy. It took constant reminders for them to remember small details. More importantly, they were so lethargic to organize a snorkel tour for us. Gina called two places and said it wasn't likely due to weather but she'd pass on the message to the next employee working the next day. Well, Gina forgot to pass on the message. Ebony comes in and has no idea..she attempts to arrange something but doesn't show that convincing zeal to get something done...we had to push her to make a few calls because it was our last day and really wanted to go. You'd think they know the number for every snorkel place in town right? Plus they shocked us by charging us for the local calls at the end! We don't mind paying our fair share, but don't nickle and dime us or surprise us....be UPFRONT.
We took a cab to a nearby snorkel guide and fortunately it worked out. But again, there was no sense of urgency amongst the staff. They need a 'yes we can' customer service attitude.

Overall, the Casa Canada facilities are great and yes Corn Island was amazing. We met other people staying in B&B type cabanas that were cheaper, and thought maybe that would be a better option, with personalized service. Anyways, Casa Canada would've received better rating from us had it not been for the mediocre service.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank redquasar

Reviewed July 28, 2009

I didn't stay at Casa Canada, but my exploration of Big Corn Island quickly lead me to this place. I'd been hiking around the island exploring and decided to stop and rest in the bar area of Casa Canada when I arrived. Between the views of the ocean, the cool breeze, the wifi access on my Iphone, and the cordial staff (I actually became fast friends with them), I ended up returning to Casa Canada a number of times just to hang out and have a few drinks.

The people that stayed at the hotel seemed to be mostly American and European as one would expect, and they seemed to keep to themselves by and large unfortunately. I remarked to one of the staffers in the bar area one evening that it didn't seem like there were that many people staying at the hotel, and they responded that, actually, they were fully booked!! If you're looking to meet people during your stay on Big Corn, it won't be in the bar area of Casa Canada!!

With that said, the property was nice, and those that I did meet seemed to be enjoying their stay there.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed May 11, 2009

I can't imagine staying anywhere else on Big Corn. The grounds are immaculate, the pool was wonderful and the staff were very cheerful and professional.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2009

We originally started off our jaunt on Corn Island at a different hotel, but luckily they couldn't accomodate us for the entire time we were there, so we rented a scooter to find a better place. And did we!

Casa Canada was an oasis - THE best hotel on Corn Island, hands down. The fact that I am Canadian only made it seem meant to be. The infinity pool, the pleasant staff, the hammocks and grounds were really nice. The room we had was $99 a night, but it had a fully-stocked fridge, leather couches, California king, hot showers...and constant electricity...yay!

We hung out at the hotel for two straight days - it had everything we needed; even snorkleing equipment! The food was better than expected - fresh fish and great breakfasts. The waitresses were actually friendly (an anomoly on this island, believe me). Food was hot and came in a fair amount of time - service in general on the island is SLOW, no kidding, a light snack can take an hour to get to the table. But not here. Good service all around.

Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank yvrgirl69
Reviewed April 10, 2009

My buddy and I stayed at Casa Canada for 4 nights as part of our time on Big Corn Island. The place was awesome! We stayed in unit 5 which provided a great view of the infinity pool and ocean framed by two beautiful curved palm trees. The grounds were beautiful. I especially enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere at Casa Canada. It’s easy to meet and socialize with other guests due to close proximity of the casitas and the front porches (each with two wicker rockers and a table).
The staff members were friendly and willing to do anything to make our stay enjoyable. Ebony and Gina in the office are professional, efficient and speak excellent English. It was truly hard to leave.

Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jonel
Reviewed March 20, 2009

We stayed at Casa Canada from Feb 22 until March 4th. It was one of our most memorable vacations. We stayed in rooms 19 and 20 which were away from the pool and close to the ocean. The rooms were spotless and the cleaning service were prompt and curteous. Really nothing bad to say about the rooms at all. Hot water in the showers, AC, larger refrigerator and many other amenities. The food was very good. If your looking to have a quick bite and go, this island is not for yyou. Meals took a long time to come out of the kitchen.......I believe they make each meal to order. The food otherwise was very good. We went to Captain Morgans for dinner one night and the food was excellent but we waited over 2 hours for the food. You have to be patient, bring some cards, and drink a lot!!! The only draw back at the Casa Canada resturant were the fly's. They really need to do some fly controll....I'd suggest those fly strips!!
We went to Areanas beach pretty much every day. The beach was beautiful with great water to swim in. There were 3 resturants to chose from to have lunch. The staff at areanas were great...they also came out to the beach to take drink orders if you wanted. We ate at Martha's most days. The service, food and atmosphere were excellent. One day we took the boat over to Little Corn....the boat ride was pretty rough but fun. The island is absolutely beautiful. We are thinking about spending some time on little corn the next trip.
The staff at Casa Canada were all VERY friendly and couldn't be nicer. They all made a great effort to ensure a relaxing fun stay. Thanks Ebony and Gina for all of your help in making the reservations and the transfer to Managua!!!!
I would recommend Casa and the island to those that really are looking for a low key vacation without a lot of pressure and rush. If your looking for a "Ritz" type of atmosphere.....stay away!!!! This is a very laid back island in every respect. The natives could not have been nice and most accommodating.
The only complaint i do have and need to mention is the some of the "co-owners/owners" of Casa happened to be staying at the place while we were there. They were the most obnoxious people I've ever come across. They stayed in a room close to the kitchen and they had women coming and going which was very uncomfortable for the guests. They also spoke very loud, drank alot (not that we didn't but.....) I was just very surprised that the owners/investors would act this way. This should in no way sway your decision to stay here......I'm sure they are not there all the time....but thought I would add this so that the owners can reflect on how they may consider acting around guests.
Thanks again Casa Staff!!! See you again.

• Stayed: February 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed March 4, 2009

We really liked our stay at Casa Canada. The only adverse thing that I had heard about the resort was that the service at the restaurant was among the slowest on the island. THAT ISN'T TRUE!! Breakfast comes with the room price & we found that we didn't have to wait very long at all & it was a very good breakfast. We had a couple of lunches there that were alright--noone on Big Corn really does a great sandwich, anyway. And the 1 dinner we had was very good. They have great fries!

As far as the room, it's very nicely laid out & was kept extremely clean. Infact, the whole place was spotless! And, if we needed something, we got it right away -- not the next day, which is what usually occurs in the Caribbean. We felt that we got value for the money. No, there isn't any beach, but there's a beautiful beach 5 min. walk away & the pool is beautiful. And having free use of the internet was a nice bonus! We would stay there again if we ever return.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
#2 of 7 in Little Corn Island
Sunshine Hotel
Sunshine Hotel
#3 of 7 in Little Corn Island

Been to Casa Canada? Share your experiences!