“corn Island Blues”

and 1 more site!
Casa Canada
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Big Corn Island
Reviewed June 10, 2008

Stayed at Casa Canada In April. Was a wonderful place but food could really be improved; it seemed as if no place on the island had good vegetables. Waitress should not be chewing gum when they served you dinner.
Watch out for some unscrupulous real estate agents. Heard one guy tell these Canadians that he would install a septic system that didn't need to be pumped out for 15 years..go figure.
All in all a very relaxing vacation but get rid of the enslaved monkey!!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cheers050

Reviewed May 6, 2008

We stayed at Casa Canada for seven nights in April 2008. On arrival at the hotel I was slightly surprised at the somewhat frosty check in, having read all the reviews I was expecting a really warm welcome but felt more like I was being a nuisance than a paying guest, & one who was staying for a whole week. After being told "follow me" (with no offer of help with any of the bags/cases) the first room we were given the key for was having maintenance work carried out on it, so we were left standing there while a new room was found. This time some help with the bags was given (thankfully, as there were steps & I do suffer with a chronic lung condition).The first night we were woken at 2am with a drunken “party” happening in the pool, which I think was from a combination of paying guests and locals (possibly staff). The following day we asked to swap rooms to some where a bit more out of the way & reception were actually very helpful & happy to move us (although didn't seem to bother saying anything to the people making the noise despite there being signs up saying the pool was only open from 10am-10pm). The rooms were lovely, of Western standard, including the bathrooms (which as far as I could work out had the ONLY toilets on the Corn Islands that you were OK to flush toilet paper down! A definite bonus for me!). Showers were spacious with hot water (not fantastic pressure but compared to every other shower I had in Nicaragua, they were a delight). Huge, firm beds which were awesome. Air con very efficient. Leather sofa bed, TV with plenty of channels & a fridge/mini bar with very reasonable prices (that they would stock on a bespoke basis if you wished) plus a coffee maker with free coffee that was delicious. The restaurant however didn't impress me. The menu wasn't as good as I'd expected for the standard of the hotel (was very similar to everywhere else on the island but more pricey). Was looking forward to the breakfast but was disappointed. The one thing we found odd was where outside light bulbs had been changed the old bulbs had just been left beside the fittings to go rusty rather than thrown away, and there was a plastic water bottle that someone had cut up and left on the grass that didn't get picked up & disposed of by staff for several days, eventually I picked it up & put it in our bin. Most of the staff, particularly the cleaner & the old gardener were lovely, although some of the others had a bit of an attitude about them – wasn’t too impressed with the staff who took the best table in the restaurant at breakfast time to spread themselves out and relax or the ones that chatted on their mobile phones while serving you! However, after a few days of being in this “Caribbean life style” I did chill out and it all washed over me! Fell in love with the little kittens that were hanging out on the back of / under the chairs on some of the guest room porches (be good to know they are still alive if anyone has seen them since mid April?!). All in all we had great stay & I’d certainly go back, I just think with a little more effort it could be a five star resort. Finally, one tip…… we went to the restaurant at the hotel across the road (The Sunrise) for dinner one night. The waitress in there was so rude I could have slapped her! The menu was in dollars but the bill arrived in Cordoba’s, I wanted to pay in dollars so asked if she could tell me how much it was in dollars and she just said “No, just give me $50 and I’ll give you the change” – I said “well I still want to know how much it is so I can make sure the change is correct” she almost spat in disgust & said “Well I aint gonna short change you”. When I got my change back (in Cordoba’s) I obviously didn't have a calculator on me to work out if it was right but sure enough it was not and she HAD short changed me! It was only a few dollars down but it’s the principle of it (I did go back but she’d already left!). So if you go to “Restaurant Sabor - Lonmar's” at Sunrise Hotel - take a calculator for your bill and look out for of a rude waitress!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank soapysue
Reviewed April 8, 2008

Arriving on an island off the coast of Nicaragua can be a bit of a culture shock, so it's nice to have a place like Casa Canada to help you acclimate. It's a good mix of North American amenities with Central American twists. For instance, the restaurant (our first stop after an early morning flight from Managua) offers "Nicaraguan breakfast" (scrambled eggs, toasted coco bread with yummy pineapple jelly, beans and rice, fruit) as well as "Canadian breakfast" (eggs, ham, potatoes, etc.). Other meals have the same range - foods you recognize mixed with foods you're dying to try.

Big Corn Island is a LOT of fun. We snorkeled, we ate, we hung on the beach, my son went scuba diving, we shopped. All we had to do to get to all these activities was go stand in front of Casa Canada. Within seconds, a taxi would stop and take us wherever we asked for $1 USD per person.

I love to speak Spanish, even though I'm not very good at it. You definitely don't NEED Spanish here (the staff at the hotel, for instance, speaks very good English and all the taxi drivers at least know the names of various locations in English) but people are certainly nice if you want to try to speak Spanish.

We loved our room and drinking coffee in the morning on the balcony. There's in-room coffee and a mini-bar that has bottled water (although the water at Casa Canada is potable), juice, Coca-Colas and beer. (There might have been liquor, too. I don't remember.) My husband got a big kick out of the prices because beer was only a nickel more than water!

All prices, on the mini bar, the menus, the hotel bill, etc., are in cordobas as well as U.S. dollars.

I'd never seen an infinity pool and was dying to know how they do that. Now I do.

My son went body-surfing off the beach at Casa Canada. There are some big rocks, but if you exercise a wee bit of caution you'll be fine.

It was a peaceful, lovely stay with everything we could have wanted. We especially appreciated the restaurant, which appeared to always be open, but I think it was just that it was open when we needed it.

There are some photos of our trip at:

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank jt1237
Reviewed March 10, 2008

The previous reviewers got it right. The physical plant is first class for an off-the-beaten-path, laid-back destination. However, the restaurant/food is disappointing.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank john_petrush
Reviewed January 28, 2008

Each cabana is very clean, modern, and air-conditioned. The grounds and the pool are beautiful. The restaurant is just OK. This hotel is not on a beach. We rode in taxis and rented golf carts to get around the small island. The islands are very restful and not at all toursity. It is definitely the nicest hotel we saw in the Corn Islands. The water around the islands is great for snorkeling and diving.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
8  Thank egak
Reviewed January 15, 2008

We switched to this hotel from Club Paraiso ( see my review about this hotel) and were relieved. What a nice place. Hotel has nicely furnished big rooms and washrooms, swimming pool. Even though it is no beach just 5 minutes away is great long beach with beautiful waives.. Restaurant has o.k. food but we did not eat there a lot, tried to check local places, but bought a nice wine which is hard to find on the island...

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
8  Thank MarinaToronto
Reviewed January 7, 2008

We ended up at Casa Canada after initally reserving at Hotel Paraiso and finding it absolutely unlivable. The folks at Casa Canada were very friendly and the place was absolutely first rate. We were impressed at every turn, especially after two and a half weeks traveling through Nica. These guys know how to do it right. The rooms were large and luxurious, king sized beds in all and the A/C was great. Another luxury that you can't take for granted in Nicaragua: hot water. The infinity pool was great, the restaurant as well. And the people who worked there. I can't say enough about how friendly they were. We noticed some people on the Corn Islands that had attitudes, but everyone at Casa Canada did nothing but smile at us and go out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. Only thing is be careful of the monkey ... he looks cute but he bites! We would not recommend staying anywhere else if you are going to Big Corn Island.

One other word of advice for Big Corn: don't eat at Seva's, Dos Millas. It was awful and we got violently ill from the seafood. We had to have a doctor come to Casa Canada because we threw up for two days straight. The Doctor said it is very common for people to get sick from eating at Seva's. Avoid at all costs!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
#3 of 7 in Little Corn Island
Las Palmeras Beachfront Hotel
Las Palmeras Beachfront Hotel
#4 of 7 in Little Corn Island

Been to Casa Canada? Share your experiences!