“Great Place!”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Big Corn Island
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Great Place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

The place is pretty and aesthetic, 10 min walk from the most beautiful beach.
the staff are really kind and helpful, about everthing.
The room was pretty clean and the ac worked well
The food in the resturant was good.

over all we had a great experience and the price is worthy. recommended!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2014

Double beds, shower, a/c worked- exceeded my expectations
Staff very friendly & accomdating, cold beer and quality food (didn't have shrimp substitute with lobster - oh well) Power outages - so what didn't last more than 5 minutes. Definetely recommend this place on Big Corn - felt safe and would go back again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Linda T
Napa, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

Had I not come to this hotel with high expectations due to the description and photos from the websites, Paraiso Beach Hotel would have been just fine. As it turned out, the idyllic beach views were blocked by a bunch of overturned fishing skiffs that never moved in the 5 days I was there, and the white buildings had all been painted a grotesque ox blood color. The wait staff in the restaurant were indifferent at best and hostile at worst when I ate there the first night, and they never had a catch of the day availabe, in spite of being 20 yards from the sea. The wait staff in the morning were friendly and accommodating, and the young woman at the front desk was also very helpful.
A hotel guest was robbed at machete point on the dirt road that passed between the hotel grounds and the water one night in spite of the armed guard that was on the premises, and one is advised not to go anywhere at night by foot, which really is a nuisance, but not the hotel's fault. The people on the island are generally friendly and readily returned greetings except for the young men, who would just avoid eye contact or look at me from the corners of their eyes when we passed. To be fair, there is a lot of poverty on the island and little in the way of employment outside of fishing and tourist services, but I will not return to Big Corn Island, in spite of the physical beauty of the place.
There are three shipwrecks just off the beach of the hotel, which made for hours of snorkeling fun just drifting over the wrecks and the coral reefs, where I saw thousands of fish including barracuda, manta rays, wrasses, blue and yellow tangs, and parrot fish. I walked up to Frankie's bicycle rental shop and with a decent bike rented from him, circled the island in about three hours' time, and it was a very pleasant day. There is also a small bakery and a store just up the road, which was a good place to buy water and beer, as the restaurant was considerably more expensive.
The room I had was comfortable enough, even if the air conditioner was loud and the ceiling fan vibrated and wobbled back and forth so much that I didn't use it for fear of it falling on me in my sleep. No wifi was available the whole time I was there, in spite of advertisement that there was. I don't mind that there wasn't wifi; just don't advertise that there is. The other guests with whom I spoke on this issue also stated they couldn't get any service, so it wasn't just my computer.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

I booked a room with 2 queen beds and A/C, online, in advance. When I arrived, they put my friend and I in a room with 1 queen bed and no A/C. After showing them the paperwork from my booking, they moved us to a room with two twin beds, but that also didn't have A/C. Finally, they moved us to a room with 3 beds and A/C. It was a bit of a debacle, but they were accommodating and friendly. The room was basic, but just what we needed. There wasn't any hot water, but I hadn't expected that there would be. The mosquito nets were welcomed to keep from getting bit at night. The food at the Buccaneer was good. I read somewhere that it was the most expensive restaurant on the island, but I didn't find that to be the case. You should be aware that all food on the island is made to order and takes about 50 mins to an hour, from time of ordering. Go eat before you get too hungry. The staff was willing to help out with any activity arrangements and airport transfers. All in all, a very pleasant experience.

Please see more on Big Corn Island on my site: www.tinygreenshoes.com

Room Tip: Room number 12 had A/C and 3 beds.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

PROs: The island Big Corn is an interesting place to visit, evn if not a safe one.

CONs: We had booked a 3 nights stay in that hotel. We booked a 'Bungalow'. After arrival and check in, the staff member showed us the accommodation. I became very angry and the anger kept until the end of our stay. We got a simple double room with 3 old beds in a mostly wooded complex of 3 rooms. It was obviously the old accommodation and had nothing to do with the 'Bungalow' we booked. They kept telling us this is the bungalow...also some neighbours were not happy about the same. The room was about almost 90 USD per night, not including breakfast. We paid for airconditioning and what we got was the first model of airconditioning mankind has seen...it did even after a 4 ours full power usage not cool down even 1 degrees celsius, but left a noise you'd think a truck runs through this dark hole. There are no windows!!! Only wooden, selfmade window shutters, having inside an old and insufficient unsealing moskito net. These windows and the fact airconditioning does not work made the nights sleepless and terrible for a high price! At check-in, the staff told us not to walk around at night, as it is dangerous. So we had to skip the 15 minute walk and take a taxi to the restaurant. The island is not yet touristy and there is not so much time to enjoy, as it is dangerous. There have just been a number of criminal incidents days before we arrived. Local taxi drivers (spanish) told us also how dangerous it is and they feel discriminated too. This fact can be seen in this hotel too, as we had the farthest building (not Bungalow!!) out, we heard the dog barking and the saw the security guy and once even the owner shining all ovr with the torch and running after some noise. All this, made our stay terrible. No sleep, wrong and really terrible accommodation, heavy security lacks on the island, where police gets paid off by criminals. I honestly with all feeling disrecommend especially this hotel, but also the island itself. but especially the hotel, as their offering of the room type Bungalow and pictures were obviously not true, but a lie!! The onsite restaurant is about 30-45% more expesnive than the best local restaurants, where you can eat fresh seafood for cheap. Don't eat there. Don't sleep there. Save your money.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SwissTraveller1980
Drayton Valley, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

Staff was wonderful to us, rooms were good and food was excellent. Make sure you take the island tour with Frankie, (you wont regret it) and don't get conned from Anthony on the beach selling Conk shells to make milk money for his kid.

Room Tip: We had room right across from restaurant and it was very nice. No fitness centre just accidently cli...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

I just returned from the Corn Islands and while on Big Corn we stayed at Paraiso. The location is excellent. The staff is absolutely wonderful and Tom the owner was great. I stayed a total of 5 nights while there and could not be happier with my stay. If you are going to Big Corn you should definitely consider Paraiso. They make you feel like you are part of a family there. Alissa took us out dancing one night and Imaura took care of any and all of our needs. I wish I could go back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
#5 of 7 in Big Corn Island
Sunshine Hotel
Sunshine Hotel
#3 of 7 in Little Corn Island

Been to Paraiso Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!