“Comfortable - Good Food - Great Location - Great Staff - Loved it”

Paraiso Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Big Corn Island
Superior, Colorado
“Comfortable - Good Food - Great Location - Great Staff - Loved it”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

When we had a bad experience at another resort on Corn Island, we bailed out and got lucky that there was vacancy here. Even though we checked in late in the morning, they still made breakfast for us. Yippee! We were saved. At least, that's how we felt upon arriving. Our cabana was very spacious, clean and simple. If you're looking for for 5-star luxury, this is not the place, but for us it was perfect and all we needed and the price was great.

The property consists of individual cabanas with as many as three attached rooms, but I saw others with fewer spread over a large grassy lot with tons of beautiful tropical foliage throughout. In the center is the restaurant which is a very large cabana and is open air like most everything in Corn Island. To the side is a small sitting area with lots of books and games. The main dining area is centered around the bar. In the front of the property is the main office with a snorkeling rental shop where you can arrange for various tours and trips, or you can simply take the snorkeling gear to Shipwreck beach right in front and snorkel. As the name suggests, there are two wrecked boats off shore that attract fish. the water was very calm during our visit and mostly shallow and safe for swimming. Just watch out for the rocks on the bottom in places. Next to the main office is a residence where Tom and his wife-the owners, live.

The property is within a short bicycle ride or manageable walk from the downtown area, but is far enough away to not have too much traffic.Still, it is in a residential community so there are opportunities to meet and talk to the locals. In fact, the beach area is used more by the residents than by visitors which I found refreshing.

The food was plentiful and great. In fact, we never felt the need to venture off to eat anywhere else during our stay. Breakfast consisted of traditional Nica fair of gallopinto with tostones or eggs and french toast. The coffee was plentiful and good. Lunch and dinner consisted of some great seafood dishes, broquettes, or steak. One local dish that I had never tried was rondon - a seafood stew made with coconut milk. Deneska had mentioned that we should try it, but it was not made in their restaurant, so she ordered it and picked it up and brought it to us!

During our stay, Deneska helped us arrange a snorkeling tour to Little corn Island. I highly recommend it as the coral reef is in great shape and sea life is abundant and varied. We saw large manta rays and countless nurse sharks. Sadly, the reef around Big Corn Island has sustained much damage from a hurricane a few years back and is not in good shape.

Overall we found the service to be warm, friendly and accommodating. Deneska was always cheerful and helpful and we really enjoyed getting to know Tom and listening to his story about how he came to own and run this resort. His story is one of leaving the fast-paced city and high-pressure career to slow way down to enjoy life more. I mention this because Paraiso Beach hotel and all of the staff exude this spirit of slowing down to enjoy life and embodies the concept of "chilling out". We certainly did and can't wait to come back for our next visit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank riosalsero

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2013

When we arrived the owner was friendly and helpful, the receptionist too and the lady at the bar was very nice and chatty. The other waitress was surly to say the least, told us we couldn't have coffee after dinner and what we could smell was the coffee she was preparing for the following day's breakfast - which is strange, as the day we left, despite the fact that they knew we were leaving early, she said 'no coffee' (no apology again) as she'd only just put it on and it would be another half an hour and I believe breakfast was supposed to be served from 6.00am. So left without our 'inclusive' breakfast. We did have one cockroach on the table, but I expect such things in a tropical location. However, this may not have been there had the dirty table cloths not been left on the table for days. The other thing regarding hygiene was that not only were the hotel's dogs allowed to roam the site, leaving 'presents' on the grass for children walking barefoot to the beach and people returning to cabanas after dark, but they lingered around guests' tables while we were eating and I saw at least one go into the kitchen. Some of this could be the reason that I had an upset stomach shortly after our stay and since met a girl at the airport with similar symptoms who had been to a friend's wedding, where the bride spent her reception in bed due to the same illness. This may well be a coincidence, but they had stayed there too. The room's windows didn't fit and all around were gaps big enough for insects to get in, there was a dodgy light fitting, which we did complain about and were, eventually, offered a change of room, but only as we were waiting for the taxi to take us out for our meal (hours after our complaint). Two tiles missing in the bathroom - just scruffy. We've stayed in some dives, but you should get what you pay for, and there were just too many things to overlook. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't recommend this place until they get their acts together.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Caroline S
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Solid place. Cleaners could do with closing the door when they clean so all the Mosquitos don't get in.

The restaurant was BRILLIANT. The food was delicious and well priced. I later stayed at Casa Canada which is meant to be Corn Islands only 4* hotel but the food at Paraiso is outstanding in comparison. It would be a great restaurant anywhere, not just the Corn Islands.

If you don't stay here, at least visit the restaurant.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Paris, France
Reviewed August 8, 2013

There are some downsides, like the mosquitoes (bring your mosquito net AND your bug spray!!), the quite standoffish waitresses at the restaurant. However, the restaurant offers quite a large choice of dishes, the food is good, pricey, but then the island is pricey too. The beach is OK, and the standards in terms of cleanliness and pollution are clearly not comparable in Europe, the US and Nicaragua, but that's still pretty acceptable. Finally the whole cabana thing is quite nice, you feel quite independent, and the secretary is so charmingly smiling that it makes for a pleasurable stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cape Coral, FL
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My family had very mixed feelings about our stay at Paraiso Beach Hotel. First the owner and the staff were very friendly and nice. And upon arrival at the hotel, we thought the grounds, including the restaurant and the buildings, looked very nice and welcoming and we were excited to see our room. However, we were disappointed that our accommodation, in one of the duplexes, faced the back of the property, overlooking the clotheslines. The room was very basic, rustic and had the bare minimum of what you might need in a room. The air conditioning wasn't very efficient due to the windows being wooden shutters and there being a 2 inch gap under the door. The room was very dark because if you had the air on, you had to close the window shutters. We were also surprised that the location of the hotel was so close to the small town on the island and in fact the hotel was not as quiet as we had hoped. That, of course, is not the fault of the owners and perhaps we should have figured that out prior to our stay. The hotel is located in a great spot for snorkeling on "Shipwreck Beach" but it is quite a busy beach which we weren't expecting. The restaurant at the hotel was very good and each meal we ate there we were pleased with - would recommend the restaurant without hesitation, the hotel, with some reservation.

Room Tip: Don't stay in one of the back duplexes.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 13, 2013

What a great mixture of palm tree shaded, air conditioned, super clean cottages, Caribbean beach, fabulous restaurants and a real Nicaraguan community.
We came here for a beach vacation to snorkel, hike and enjoy good food on this island that is famous for the friendly nature of the locals. We were not disappointed!
If you want the plastic environment of a Marriott resort don't pick Corn Island.
But if you have an appetite for flawless guest service, the luxury of air conditioned cottages and a GREAT restaurant on one of the nicest beaches (put your snorkel gear on right in front of the hotel and see colorful fish!) the Paraiso Hotel is your place.
The staff speaks English and Spanish, the owner is Dutch, the hotel is sensitive to the needs of international guests. Their driver Frankie picks you up at the tiny airport and treats you like long lost friends. The rooms have cute porches under the palm roofs, the beds are fresh each day and the bathrooms refreshing and clean. A continental breakfast is included or you can indulge in Nica breakfast or pancakes and scrumptiously fresh food for a reasonable price.
We walked around the island at ll hours safely and hitched one of the little abundant cabs when we felt more lazy.

Room Tip: All the cottages seem equally nice. We came w 8 adults and one child and used 4 of them. We were abl...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 14, 2013

First of all and most importantly, I would like to say that I really enjoyed my stay at Paraiso and I would stay here again. Having said that, there are differing opinions here and I would like to address some them in an effort to help set some expectations.

My cousin and I stayed here the last week of April in a bungalow room. The room itself was not my favorite place I have ever stayed by a longshot. The positives were that there was plenty of space and it had a nice layout for 2 friends traveling together. The air conditioning was appreciated and I didn’t notice about not having hot water because a cold shower is all you will ever want here. The beds had mosquito nets, they worked and we used them! The nets were appreciated not so much for mosquitos but for all of the other bugs, which included giant ants, cockroaches and some kind of alien looking beetle that enjoys dive bombing intruders. The beds were a bit uncomfortable and I missed my big fluffy pillow and pillow-top mattress a bit, but I had to remind myself… I was on Corn Island… in Nicaragua. Staying on the beach in a developing country where tourism is somewhat in its infancy, one should not expect certain things. I chose to look at this as part of the experience and didn’t let it ruin my good time. I even became quite fond of the crazy beetles. Bugs love the beach and tropics as much as we do… it’ a fact of life. The staff cleaned the room daily and thankfully removed any sign of the mayhem that went on with the bugs in the middle of the night.

Everything else about Paraiso was perfectly fine. The girls in the restaurant make a great Mojito and are attentive, yet non-intrusive. However, these are cultural differences that could put some people off if they were being overly critical. Food is prepared by order and it takes a bit. Do not expect immediate gratification and ask for what you need. I did notice that no one assumes anything but will do anything you ask. This is the way they roll down here. The restaurant was very clean and the food was okay. We had several meals here out of convenience and while not a culinary masterpiece it was perfectly edible.

The beach was more than fine. The water was so beautiful it seemed fake! I loved the different characters that hang out on the beach and enjoyed snorkeling and swimming here without overpowering waves. Beach service and lounge area could use a little sprucing up. The elements on a beach wreak havoc and a coat of paint or varnish could help. The loungers could use cushions. There are little minor things that could enhance this property that wouldn’t be a big deal and I am confident that the owners care about the experiences people have and do their best to correct things.

If you are looking for a five star Caribbean experience, go to St. Lucia or Barbados. If you are looking for something different like a chill vibe, not a lot of pretentiousness, and without breaking the bank, then this could be the place for you. The staff is really very kind. Nadeska and Frankie (the driver) are gems and I really enjoyed meeting them and thank them for the hospitality. The Corn Islands are special for a number of reasons. Beautiful water and beaches, interesting contrasts of daily life and scenery and really lovely people. I recommend Paraiso as an excellent choice…just know what to expect and what not to expect and remember you are in a developing environment.

I saw an ad that this place was for sale and if I only had a million dollars! Paradise with an edge!

p.s. Use the hotel to book your tickets to Corn Island! It is slightly less expensive and they take care of everything. La Costena is impossible to reach by phone or email and it went off without a hitch doing it this way.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
#5 of 7 in Big Corn Island
Sunshine Hotel
Sunshine Hotel
#3 of 7 in Little Corn Island

Been to Paraiso Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!