“Beautiful beach, average hotel”
Review of Arenas Beach Hotel

Arenas Beach Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Big Corn Island
Reviewed February 28, 2012

My 14 year old son and I stayed here for three nights on our way to Little Corn. They were at the airport on time to pick us up. The hotel is located down a dirt bumpy road lined with some of the poorest houses on the island. Having said that, the beach right across the street from the hotel is absolutely gorgeous and the best on the island. The room was clean but my personal bed sheets were shredded in some spots. I'm sure they would have changed them had i asked, but i never bothered. The service at the front desk was okay but not overly friendly. The restaurant was adequate but extremely slow. It just seemed to me that they were not equiped to handle the amount of guests that they had when we were there. It took 45 minutes for me to get coffee one morning and then only because i went in and complained. And then refills took another 30 minutes because apparently they only had one pot brewed at a time. The continental breakfast that comes with the room includes, coffee, tea and toast. That's it. No juice, no fruit, no cereal, no nothing. Don't be fooled when they offer "continental". The only other thing that i was disappointed in was the "Boat Bar". The pictures on the website look so nice but that bar didn't look like it had been open in months even years. It definitely wasn't open when we were there. Anytime you wanted a drink you had to walk back to the hotel and find someone to get you something. No full bar.
Overall the hotel is okay. It's not that cheap though. I think the room was still around $100/night with taxes, etc. The best part of the hotel is the beach. There is another restaurant right down the beach that is pretty good and we at there a few times.

Room Tip: we were in the 'comfort rooms' and they were pretty roomy. the bungalows looked cute but i...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank scluff

Reviewed February 25, 2012

I stayed here the last two days of my trip to the Corn Islands thinking the it would provide me with the best rest prior to a long return trip home. Overall the hotel and service was good, though personally I found I enjoyed some of the smaller hotels more.
Picnic beach out front of the hotel is amazing and an easy place to spend a day relaxing. The rooms are nice although they gave off more of a feeling of a hotel room in the States as compared to an exotic tropical feel. The A/C and shower(hot water and good pressure) were both a nice touch, although I found I preferred a cool sea breeze over the A/C.
I would recommend this hotel primarily to folks who would require hot showers with good pressure, A/C, no mosquito nets, and cushy chairs on the beach. However if you can do without those items and prefer the ocean sounds as you sleep, there are other places availed for much cheaper.
Basically, I give this hotel a positive review and would recommend it, although if I were to return and based solely on my tastes, I think I'd stay in one of thesmaller establishments.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank ColeDog13
Reviewed February 22, 2012

I had to e-mail this hotel a few times to get a response confirming my reservation. I also got no response to my e-mail re-confirming and asking for a pick up from the boat dock. (Transport to/from the airport is included in the room price.)

That aside, I arrived early on the first boat from Little Corn and they let me check at 7:45 AM. My room was a standard one in the main building but very spacious. Tile floors means the place can be easily cleaned. Bathroom was a bit small but shower was hot. There’s a balcony, TV with a number of US cable channels, air conditioning that works well, and free reasonably fast WIFI (lost connection late in the evening.).24 hour electricity and fast WIFI was appreciated after a stay on Little Corn!

Other than the salads which are great, the food is mediocre. They were out of chicken and fresh fruit juice (although they did serve fresh fruit plates—a rarity on the Corn Islands). Service is friendly and fast once they take your order, but you might have to walk into the restaurant to catch the waiter’s attention. I noted that they let some patrons sit at their tables for a very long time without bringing them the menu, only bringing it when the guests asked for it. Prices are high for what you get but everything has to be imported.

What really makes the place is its location on the nicest beach in the Corn Islands. (The one negative is that the road to get to the hotel isn’t good so taxis drive on the beach, but fortunately there aren’t many that come this way.) They have also set up loungers shaded by white tent like structures giving guests privacy and comfort on the beach. The sun sets right in front of the hotel. It’s hard to drag yourself away from here. Perfect for a few lazy days of R&R…

It's pricey for Nicaragua at $95 a night, but it's the best accomodation on the island.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank poleinahole1
Reviewed February 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed there in February and absolutely loved the enormous, super clean beach. Not a stone, shell, or weed to be seen and certainly no rubbish. This side of the island is sheltered, and the combination of calm , clear, warm sea and gentle gradient means you can walk out for 60 yards or more and still be in your depth - perfect for kids and wonderful for swimming. Snorkeling on this beach is a waste of time, never saw a living thing, BUT they're out there! I fished from the beach with shrimp and caught plenty of bonefish at dawn and dusk.

There are 2 docks you can fish from within a few minutes walk and both produced fish. People catch bones, barracuda, tarpon etc from the bigger dock.

They have kayaks free for the use of guests and we enjoyed a leisurely paddle to watch the sunsets.

The white pavillions on the beach with L shaped squishy sofas are so luxurious, but at times the sand flies can get hungry so don't forget to put bug protection on.

As you'll have gathered, the beach and the sea were the main attractions for us, but the rooms were fine too. We were in a cabin and everything worked well, particularly the hot shower which nearly blasted me through the wall the first time I used it!

We hired a golf buggy from the place next door and like others we'd passed it broke down a few miles away. No problem, they came and fixed it whilst we had a drink and they didn't charge us for the down time. The handbrake didn't work too well so we carried a coconut in the glove compartment and used that as a chock. Laid back or what?!

The staff were very friendly and helpful. They even kept my shrimp bait in their fridge for me, which was really nice of them. Breakfast service was painfully slow and they could do with a better system, but hey, it's a Caribbean island, what's the rush?

All in all we had a very happy week at this place.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew R
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Great stay with some pros and cons for the price
Pros....the girl who worked at the resturant durning the day was a total sweetheart and service was great. Garlic lobster was great. A/C worked great. The boy who took us to our room was really good to and made sure we knew how things worked which was a bonus. Beach location and beachbeds exc. couldn't be beat. They let you use coolers and supply ice which was great so we couldourchase drinks from the very affordable store 1 block away
Cons.. For 85 bucks per night it seemed like it should have a pool, hot water, drinking water supplied.
All in all I really enjoyed our stay and probably would return if I dont find better bang for your buck on the island which I didn't have time to check out during our stay

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lauralye
Reviewed February 9, 2012

It is located on the most beautiful beach in corn island, the beach is calm like a pool!!! The hotel is nice, service not so good! The rooms are clean, the food is so-so, prices too high for quality of the food. Overall is worth staying just because of the location!

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed December 22, 2011

This place is adorable. I went with a friend and we stayed at a really cute bungalo cabana type room. The room was a bit small, but how much time are you really going to spend in there? The best part about this hotel is that it is on one of the best (if not THE best) beach on the island. You wont' get that with any other hotel on the island. Also, there is a bike rental place right next door. They will call you a cab if you need one to get to the hotel or to another restaurant. The staff is absolutely wonderful.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
#4 of 7 in Little Corn Island
Hotel Morgan
Hotel Morgan
#6 of 7 in Big Corn Island

Been to Arenas Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!