“Danette's House is the way this restaurant is known”
Review of Comedor Maris

Comedor Maris
Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I arrived overnight on Big Corn Island on the ferry so I could catch the early morning flight back to Managua and asked around for the best restaurant on the Island. Danette's house seemed to be the most popular choice. The popular vote wasn't wrong. Although I felt I was close by staying at Fisher's Cove and could walk, it really was a long haul at night and the taxi ride is only 18c. I'm also not sure I would have seen it had I walked but all the locals know where it is.

Danette's house is a lovely respite on the side of the road and she serves everyone on the front porch. There is wine and beer to accompany your dinner choice is whatever she happens to be cooking that night. Don't hesitate to walk inside and check out the kitchen and talk to the family in the living room. Both are an experience.

I can only reiterate what the other reviewers and the local popular opinion is: the food, service, and ambiance are superb. This a "must visit" restaurant on Big Corn Island.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

The owner(s) are friendly, helpful people who make you feel right at home. It started to rain, and they brought us right inside their house. The "rundown" which is their famous local food, is excellent.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Found the restaurant close to Sally Peachey and asked to waitress (owner?) to make us a mixed plate for 2. I was delightful! Lobster, shrimp and a fish steak that wasn't overcooked (how unusual!) Had a very enjoyable dinner on what is basically her front porch. A wonderful experience for sure.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

This is the place to have rundown! You will never have another meal like it. Clean home cooked food but the rundown is Maris' specialty! Reservations are a good idea but not necessarily a must.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

If you like fresh fish, and a friendly place to eat it, you must try Comedor Maris, also known as Maris Danett on Big Corn. She cooks from her kitchen and serves on her patio, and you know there is a lot of special pride that she takes in her cooking. I give it five stars because it is in my opinion the best of Big Corn. It is also important to know that she has non seafood that is equally good, and she has a breakfast for $5.00.

I had kingfish as my last meal on the island and it was the best meal of the stay. My dining companion had jalapeno chicken and he loved it. We started with her shrimp cocktail, which was sort of a ceviche, with very fresh crunchy marinade that accompanies the shrimp.

To give you an idea of the value, on the first night we at there we had 2 shrimp cocktails, two lobster dinners, and a couple of soft drinks, for about $28.00.

I have now replaced the restaurant Seva's with Comedor Maris, for both the quality of food and the value. We ate at Seva's the first night we arrived at Big Corn, and I will report separately on that, but suffice it to say, Seva's lost some points from me, and Comedor Maris picked them up.

Maris would be pleased if I were to make note that she has a couple rooms that she will rent out for $25 and $35 a night.

One negative is the mosquitoes. She will burn some torches to help cut them down, but honestly, put some repellant on your legs.