“Quite a few negatives, but still a good option”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Corn Islands
Martha's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 10 Corn Islands B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 4, 2014

First the negatives. There are no meals after 6 30pm, there's no passing taxis so you have to phone for one, or walk. There's no view to speak of from the bedrooms. Martha was not usually visible and Ellery gives the impression he'd sooner be doing something else. Because of these factors, we had a good look at alternatives, but came to the conclusion Martha's was still the best option because:
The beach is the best on the island for those who aren't strong swimmers. My wife swam in the sea for the first time for years. If you want to snorkel, go to Dorsey's, Sally Peaches.
The food was excellent. The price was good, and portions so large we shared between the 2 of us. The dining area by the beach is very nice, and peaceful.
Its the end of the road/track so quiet. It also next to a place for the military so no security issues, and no need for wire netting between Martha's and the beach.
WiFi quite adequate but you only get a good signal on the lower balcony. Picnic Center, 5 minutes walk, has good wifi.
The balcony is nice, good views. The garden area across the bridge and little lagoon, is attractive.
Incidentally, for eating out, we found Casa Canada very good. Also, golf cart rental is quite near -$50 for 24hrs. We rented one from noon to noon and its a good way to explore the whole island.
We stopped 5 nights at Martha's and this was the best part of our 3 week trip to Nicaragua.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cymraeg4

Reviewed February 22, 2014

I had stayed here a few years ago and was thoroughly pleased with my stay. So it was the first place I thought of when I decided to visit BCI again. I booked a one night stay. I requested a room with two beds. Confirmed on three different occasions (by email) and was told I had the triple for the night requested. Arrived on the dock after my stay on LCI, had the taxi driver take us to Martha's just to find out that they had no idea who I was and that the B&B was completely booked.
Thankfully the taxi driver (Fernando) was kind enough to wait for us and he found us a room at a different hotel. I cannot express how disappointed I was.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank 1earthling
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I stayed at Martha's due to a recommendation of a respected Nicaraguan friend, who told me the rooms are not the most luxurious, but it has a wonderful atmosphere and her food (especially the Ron Don). When we got there, I was disappointed by the fact that her restaurant is not open on Sundays (the nearest walkable dining options are overpriced for lackluster food) and her husband's ornery attitude- he made me feel like a burden for being there. Breakfast is included with the room and starts at 7am, but my parents had a 8am flight. When asked if they could be served early, Martha was kind and accommodating, but her husband Ellery, said "he could make no promises." I was also underwhelmed by the breakfast, it was basic and did not live up to its hype. On the other hand, it was located on one of the most beautiful beaches, Picnic Center Beach. Therefore, I recommend going to Picnic Beach for a beautiful beach day, and stopping at Martha's B&B for lunch (as long as it's not Sunday). Otherwise, for the same price, stay at Paraiso or another place has more attentive customer service and better evening dining options nearby.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Ellen M
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed two nights here before heading to little corn in early July 2013. Our taxi diver recommended it to us and we were glad he did. The location was beautiful on a huge white sand beach that was largely empty except for us which we loved. We walked most of the way around the perimeter of the island, and remained really happy with our choice. The character of the rooms doesn't match the character of the location and property itself, but were comfortable, very clean, and the AC worked. Breakfasts as great, but the restaurant wast open in the evening while we were there. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VancouverKat_13
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Got there out of the blue , found heaven. Amazing place , owners were spectacular, great people. Beautiful property well taking care of . Big and delicius breakfast , nice clean sandy beaches very safe area . Just want to say if you go to Corn Island go to Martha! s , I was there for 3 days and will come back. Just remember to bring a flaslight , there is sometimes power outage in the cify . Almost forgot to mention that this hotel has his own power generator

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank guardabarranco56l
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed at Martha's B&B two nights first week of Jan-2013. I have to say that I was completely satisfied with quality that I got for the money spent and would definitely return to the place again or recommend it to my friends. First of all, room I got on the first floor was really nice, clean, equipped with A/C & cable TV, and daily room service. The owners and staff were always very polite and helpful when needed. It's beachfront property on one of the best white sand beaches on Big Corn Island (believe me, I walked along 2/3 of the island cost and couldn't see better). Second day of my stay in the morning I was almost alone on the nice sunny beach (see pics). Where can you get this in Caribbean? Kitchen was very good and food reasonably priced as well. There is no traffic, because this is the dead end of road. The only thing you have to worry about are sand flies that start attack you right after sunset so don't forget repellent!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 6, 2013

If I ever went back to Corn Island I would definitely stay at Martha's Bed and Breakfast again. After trawling all over the island I can confirm that this is the BEST beach, morning noon and night. It is really safe here too. We would come out and go swimming any hour of the night and could leave our belongings strewn about without any worry too.

I only got to meet Martha and Ellery on my first day as they traveled after that but they were very warm, friendly and welcoming. All the staff were right there and ready to help whenever we needed them. For a time we were the only guests there, so every morning as soon as we came to the restaurant for breakfast the table was already set especially for us, as were our sun chairs. Absolutely fab place, although very simple it is these small touches that make a GOOD vacation GREAT!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends