“Beautiful gem in Coban !”
Review of Casa D'Acuna

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Coban
Casa D'Acuna
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Coban
Arcata, California
“Beautiful gem in Coban !”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Casa d'Acuna is a wonderful little hotel built around a courtyard with beautiful orchids. The food was delicious. I stayed in a dorm room with two bunkbeds, but had it all to myself. Bathroom was across the hall. Prices were very economical.
The experience was so delightful that I hope to return some day and stay longer.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

This place is odd - there is a very smart courtyard and very smart looking (and courteous) guard and front desk. The restaurant is busy, high-end and tasty. The rooms are completely incongruous to this! We (a group of four friends) stayed in a tiny dorm with two sets of bunk beds (which one member of the group referred to as the "commune"). Musty, very dark and pretty noisy as near the courtyard (where the swanky restaurant is!). The communal bathrooms are the real let down - tepid showers, ineffectual shower curtain (so the floor is always soaking and grimy) and an aggressive light timer which means you are plunged into darkness every ten seconds or so and therefore forced to flail your arms about (whether using shower or toilet facilities) to get the light back. Odd given the quality and clear standing of the restaurant (which we tried, food was good even though service was a bit slow due to how busy they were).

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Anna R
Guatemala City, Guatemala
Reviewed December 14, 2012

We were coming from a village Called Raxrujá, where there was nowhere to have breakfast and the hotel was awful. We decided to make the 2-hour travel to Coban to have something decent and delicious to eat. It ended up being like 3 hours because of the rain. It was my birthday so I really wanted something nice to start the day. There was a lovely fire and the coffee was excellent. We did have to wait for our meals but they were amazing, I had Benedict eggs, oatmeal, plantanes. The staff was really really attentive and nice. They decorate with orchids from their orchard which you can have a tour to. I saw the pictures and the place is beautiful with a guided tour and honey tasting, paid of course. I had a very special birthday brunch. You do share the restrooms with the hotel's, I saw the rooms from outside, they look good for sleeping if that's all you want.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We slept two nights but you would not repeat the experience of sleeping there, although yes I would recommend eating, dining and having a coffee&cakes.

Not liked the accommodation:-( rooms, toilets or showers. The room is very basic and the lavatories are found in a hallway pretty close to the kitchen... and you are shared it with the waiters; Ther are two showers very simple and old, low water pressure and little hot water showers. This accommodation is very cheap but does not correspond at all with the category that one thinks, I mean if you see the restaurant, there are like a different establishment.

In my opinion they should invest in some reforms that would allow Casa Acuña a better appearance of the baths, and water with more pressure and temperature, and they must also clean toilets more frequently because if you offer bathrooms to share, they have to clean them very often!

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the garden are very noisy especially on Saturdays that I believe that there ar...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Viuicio and his staff make you feel like you're home. Amazing coffee, excellent desserts, and the best food in Coban. I've never written a review for anything in my life, but I decided to because of my experience here.

• Stayed November 2012
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed September 29, 2012

This is a hostel which includes only three rooms, one double and two and four.
Rooms have no shower, and no toilets.
The rooms themselves are very clean and the showers a little less but still very suitable for use without a problem.
Workers almost do not know English, but the director, Vinicio, knows English and is very nice. Is ready to help and assist with any problems.
We booked a double room via email but when we arrived at night the room was busy and we had to sleep in a room with bunk beds.
Room price is very cheap, but does not include meals and parking, for those who need.
The biggest advantage of this place excellent restaurant located inside.
The restaurant has a varied breakfasts and excellence. And dinner just great!
The place is highly recommended for those going through the city.
There is also organizing tours and packed meals.

Room Tip: There is 1 double room and 2 dormitory room for 4. All the rooms with shared bathroom
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Berg
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I'm a solo female traveller and stayed at Casa D'Acuña twice while travelling in Guatemala. I liked the place a lot. This is not a typical backpackers where you can go and meet a lot of people but it's a good place to go, relax and treat yourself to some amazing food.

In total I stayed 4 nights and during 3 of them I had the room all to myself. The beds are very comfy, rooms and bathrooms are clean and there is hot water in the shower.
The staff of the hotel and restaurant were very friendly and helpful. When I told them that I was going to Laguna Lachuá on my own, they made several phonecalls to make sure it was safe for me to go (even though I wasn't actually worried about my safety) and asked the rangers about the food and water situation (you have to take it with you).

And once you're there, you have to eat in the restaurant! Yes, it's not cheap...especially if you're travelling on a budget. But still, do it! The food is great and totally worth the money. And breakfast is actually quite cheap considering what you get for the price.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo