“Want to get threatened with a gun - Go Maya'ch Expeditions!”

Maya'ch Expeditions - Day Tours
Ranked #6 of 13 things to do in Coban
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We booked a ride from San Pedro la Laguna via Antigua to Lanquin with the Casa Verde Travel Agency in San Pedro. We were not aware we would get a ride with Maya'ch Expeditions from Antigua onwards... but this is common practice in South and Central America. On the bus there was not only the driver, but also another guy whose name was Daniel. His English was pretty good... he also spoke some Hebrew and apparently he lived in Europe for a while. He was quite chatty and joking until we had a lunch break. By the end of that stop we all were back on the bus except one fellow traveler who didn't get her takeaway hamburger yet. So we started leaving without her which obviously made her run back to the bus... without her food. Since she already paid for it I said to Daniel that we should wait for a couple of minutes until she got her food. In this second the chatty, joking Daniel very abruptly changed into an aggressive, threatening Daniel. He very unexpectedly started yelling at me that this was his company and that he can kick me off the bus anytime he wants to... so how could I even dare asking him to wait for a fellow traveler. This was rude enough I found but when I answered back to him that he might want to be a little more polite to his paying customers he seriously told me he had a gun in the car and he asked me whether he wants me to use it. I interpreted this as a threat to my life. It is not uncommon that people in Guatemala carry guns and in this particular case I did not want to find out whether or not he was one of them. So I stepped back and apologized hoping this would settle the issue. We continued driving and there was silence in the bus. Hence it was easy to overhear Daniel when he was making a phone call, obviously trying to set us up in the place we were going to (Lanquin). Since neither me nor my wife were particularly keen to be bashed up or robbed upon arrival, I went to him again some time later, apologizing another time. This time it seemed to have worked since we arrived in Lanquin and went to the same hostel than everyone else. Checked in without any problems, locked the door and called it a day!

In summary: I cannot advise anyone to travel or do tours with Maya'ch Expeditions. I think, if the boss of a company thinks it is acceptable to threaten customers with a gun (real or not) then everything about this company is said.

9  Thank MicBoe

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Don't use them, they only want your money. They are more expensive than other tour agencies and they don't offer as many shuttle times as other agencies. They had the two worst/uncomfortable shuttles that I have ever traveled in and the drivers were very very aggressive/reckless (and that's compared to other shuttles that I took during this trip and other trips).

I used them to travel to Semuc Champey and the hostel that they use there, El Zapote, was also awful. The El Zapote hostel staff were cold and unwelcoming for the most part, and one man made physical and verbal sexual advances. The food made me sick and was overpriced, there is no way to secure your luggage even in a private room.. The worst of it, I was supposed to have a tour at 8am, then they changed the time to 9am, then to 10 or 1030am, and we finally left at 1113am. By the time I got to the park it had started raining and we were rushed through the tour. The only saving grace about this hostel is that it is not in Lanquin and it's about a 20 minute walk from the park. If you stay there, only stay for one night then move on!

Here is a tip for Semuc Champey. Stay at one of the hostels that is at Semuc Champey because you can be on the river at night and there are more travelers there. You do not need a guide for the park, it's very navigable and there are rangers at the start of the park and in the park to help guide you. You will need a guide for the caves but they provide you with one of their guides who is familiar with the caves. If you have to, stay at Zapote only one night then walk to the park in the morning. Just leave the hostel, take a right, walk for a mile/km or so then take a right at the sign that says Semuc Champey. It's easy.

Cheers!

4  Thank GreenBee7
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We booked a private tour with them from coban to semuc and lanquin. The English speaking guide was good, reliable, knew his way. etc. it was worth whole for us. Including all expenses for 2 people it was 1000 qs. Pls note that a shared trip is 300 qs per person but unless they have 4 people they don't go.!

Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

This agency offers a rather expensive tour to Semuc Champey. The guide's comments wasn't very relevant in both Semuc Champey and the Lanquin cave - he spent his time trying to push us to buy another package... But still, they brought us to the place and showed us around.

Regarding the Coban to Flores shuttle, I agree with other reviewers : the bus was 45 mn late, and in he end the driver left us outside the Flores island, to another tour agency, using random pretexts. Then we were supposed to climb into another bus but it took for ever and we ended up paying for a cab to get to our hotel...

1  Thank matthieuf2
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I am glad i didn't read the reviews before i booked with Maya'ch Expeditions. I really had no issues with them. They drove from Antigua to Coban safely in rain in less than 6 hours with a stop in a nice rest area. Then we did a day tour to Semuc with them. The guide was good and spoke good English, did some extra activities like diving in a tiny underwater cave in Semuc ( i bet many didn't even know about it). Even helped to carry a 3 year old kid to the observation area.

Next day also used Maya'ch shared shuttle to go to Flores.

Yes, the shuttles were usually 15 minutes late, but it's expected when they pick up in a few places and drive you door-to-door. Also not the newest buses and A/C usually off but i kind of expected that in Guatemala.

1  Thank kilativ