“Ideal to get an idea of a stay in the jungle”

Art's Riverview Jungle Lodge
Ranked #2 of 6 Takua Pa B&B and Inns
Roeselare, Belgium
“Ideal to get an idea of a stay in the jungle”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

This lodge is a very nice opportunity to get a flavour of staying in the jungle.
Although evrything is quite basic, you still have all elementary comfort and you are not far from civilization at all. The outdoor bathroom (only cold water) is a splendid idea.
The restaurant is quite good.
Just don't be surprised to find some monkeys blocking the path back to your hut.
But the best part is the rope hanging over the river. The kids spent hours jumping and swinging like Tarzan.
The adjacent natural park is really worth visiting. Just don't stay too long; after 3 days, you've seen it.
Die-hard adventurers will find this lodge is rather for softies; germ freaks will live a nightmare. But if you or your kids are open for some 'adventure': GO!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank folker_lamote

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Wasilla, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

I stayed at Art's River Lodge in Nov . Had no trouble booking a tree house, a little more in price, than other nearbys; However, the place is quite nice and scenic. No hot showers, but really not needed. When I arrived I was walking to treehouse, I was swarmed by no less than 15 primates, whom kept trying to get into my camera bag. So beware, to lock your room, which while using the toliet 2 monkey's got into my room, which led to almost an attack upon myself.
As for the staff, they could be a little more friendlier. Food is good and cheap. Tree houses are so cool. Go tubing, very relaxing, and scenic. But also beware of bubble fish, I do not know what they look like, but I can tell you what they bite like. If tubing be sure to constantly move limbs, otherwise be ready for good bite from their teeth. Will return this year for another stay

Room Tip: Tree Houses on river front very enchanting, like out of a story book
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank jtimadkins
Berkeley, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

I stayed here for one night in May 2012 in a bungalow on the river during low season, and woke up to 5+ monkeys pounding loudly on the bungalow doors (which, like the windows, were deadbolted since the first thing they told me when I checked in was that if I was attacked by monkey I needed to go to the office right away) and two INSIDE my bungalow. One of them proceeded to play with the wooden ring that the mosquito net was hanging from, it was SCARY. Given that everything was deadbolted and there was almost no one else staying at the lodge, I just stayed curled up in bed with pillows over my body until the monkeys left the bungalow.

When I told the lodge staff, they were at first skeptical that monkeys could've gotten in even though I emphasized that I had locked EVERYTHING (therefore there was definitely some hole in the construction of the bungalow) and then coolly informed me that I should just throw some rocks at the monkeys to get them to go away.

Me, a 5 foot tiny Asian girl versus 7+ rabid, starving monkeys? No thanks.

Combined with the constant rain (it was wet season), giant mosquitos that wouldn't stop sucking my blood even if I hit them, and power outages - it was the last straw and I hightailed my way out of there on the next bus to Bottle Beach on Koh Phangan, where I thankfully was able to recover and relax and start to enjoy my vacation again.

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank Intransitive
Shoreham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

We had pre-booked our 3 days with Art's and were met at Surat Thani by our wonderful guide Chai. One trip they offer is an overnight stay on the nearby lake in floating cabins and this was where we headed straight away. The long boat journey across the lake was spectacular and gave us some incredible views. The cabins themselves were really sweet, just a bedroom but plenty of room and electricity via generator for a few hours at night. The bathrooms were communal but were clean and practical. The food here was amazing, the portions were huge and they were happy to give you more, not that we ever needed it! If you do this trip then have the banana pancake for breakfast, it was fantastic. Whilst here we had time to swim and kayak in the lake and also had a short trek and bamboo boat ride to some caves which were beautiful. We also had an early morning monkey spotting trip - unfortunately we didn't see any but another boat did so they do exist!
One night here is all you need and after this our guide took us to Art's. We found our room here very comfortable and a great size, although the real selling point was the veranda that overlooked the river and gave us great views of the monkeys! On our first afternoon we went elephant trekking which was great fun, we were taken here by our guide and he waited until we were finished then took us to a local waterfall on our way back. We had a trek planned for the next day which our guide took us on, it was about 10k and over varied terrain but definitely worth the tricky bits for the amazing sights we saw!
The food here was lovely and really cheap. We spent about £30 on food and drink which included two dinners, a few snacks, and quite a few Singhas - breakfast was included in our stay.
The weather wasn't the best while we were here but it didn't ruin anything. We were still able to do everything we wanted and the setting was so beautiful it was impossible to be frustrated by it - even when the rain meant our electricity was off for a few hours!
The staff here we all really friendly and have excellent English. A trip to this part of Thailand is an absolute must and we would go back and do it all again in a heartbeat!

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Laura C
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2012

Had a wonderful stay here in 2007, we saw the amazing families of monkey on the hillside from here, took a trip on rubber rings on the river and took a great boat trip with a wonderful guide called Joy, brilliant experience and a trip of a lifetime. I will never forget. wonderful memories

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

Wow. What a fantastic place. Just enough home comforts to make it workable (travelling with a small child), but close enough to nature to make it a real experience. The lodges are lovely and the whole setting is so atmospheric - especially the wonderful timber bar / restaurant area. Monkeys on the terrace and swinging in the trees; kids paddling and swinging on a rope over the river; the sounds of the jungle as you drop off to sleep. Remember to deet up, and you'll have a great time!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank TellSyd
Phuket Town, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2011

At the end of May I returned to Art's Riverview Jungle Lodge - this time with my girlfriend and my parents. The lodge is in a fantastic location, with wooden huts running down the side of a river. The huts themselves are basic, but have all you need - a fan, a bed with a mosquito net and a bathroom. Outside there is a terrace or balcony, depending on if you are on the ground or first floor, where you can sit and watch the river and monkeys! The hotel restaurant sits over the river and provides a lovely setting for breakfast, which is not included in the price but is very reasonable, or to sit and relax. The lodge is well located for jungle trekking and visiting the national park.
I have no reservation in recommending this lodge. Yes, the rooms are basic, but you're in the jungle and didn't come here to sit in the rooms anyway.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
#14 of 49 in Surat Thani
Khaosok Boutique Camps
Khaosok Boutique Camps
#2 of 21 in Khao Sok National Park

Been to Art's Riverview Jungle Lodge? Share your experiences!