“Monkeys snuck into my dead-bolted bungalow”

Art's Riverview Jungle Lodge
Ranked #2 of 6 Takua Pa B&B and Inns
Berkeley, California
“Monkeys snuck into my dead-bolted bungalow”
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I stayed here for one night in May 2012 in a bungalow on the river during low season, and woke up to 5+ monkeys pounding loudly on the bungalow doors (which, like the windows, were deadbolted since the first thing they told me when I checked in was that if I was attacked by monkey I needed to go to the office right away) and two INSIDE my bungalow. One of them proceeded to play with the wooden ring that the mosquito net was hanging from, it was SCARY. Given that everything was deadbolted and there was almost no one else staying at the lodge, I just stayed curled up in bed with pillows over my body until the monkeys left the bungalow.

When I told the lodge staff, they were at first skeptical that monkeys could've gotten in even though I emphasized that I had locked EVERYTHING (therefore there was definitely some hole in the construction of the bungalow) and then coolly informed me that I should just throw some rocks at the monkeys to get them to go away.

Me, a 5 foot tiny Asian girl versus 7+ rabid, starving monkeys? No thanks.

Combined with the constant rain (it was wet season), giant mosquitos that wouldn't stop sucking my blood even if I hit them, and power outages - it was the last straw and I hightailed my way out of there on the next bus to Bottle Beach on Koh Phangan, where I thankfully was able to recover and relax and start to enjoy my vacation again.

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank Intransitive

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Shoreham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We had pre-booked our 3 days with Art's and were met at Surat Thani by our wonderful guide Chai. One trip they offer is an overnight stay on the nearby lake in floating cabins and this was where we headed straight away. The long boat journey across the lake was spectacular and gave us some incredible views. The cabins themselves were really sweet, just a bedroom but plenty of room and electricity via generator for a few hours at night. The bathrooms were communal but were clean and practical. The food here was amazing, the portions were huge and they were happy to give you more, not that we ever needed it! If you do this trip then have the banana pancake for breakfast, it was fantastic. Whilst here we had time to swim and kayak in the lake and also had a short trek and bamboo boat ride to some caves which were beautiful. We also had an early morning monkey spotting trip - unfortunately we didn't see any but another boat did so they do exist!
One night here is all you need and after this our guide took us to Art's. We found our room here very comfortable and a great size, although the real selling point was the veranda that overlooked the river and gave us great views of the monkeys! On our first afternoon we went elephant trekking which was great fun, we were taken here by our guide and he waited until we were finished then took us to a local waterfall on our way back. We had a trek planned for the next day which our guide took us on, it was about 10k and over varied terrain but definitely worth the tricky bits for the amazing sights we saw!
The food here was lovely and really cheap. We spent about £30 on food and drink which included two dinners, a few snacks, and quite a few Singhas - breakfast was included in our stay.
The weather wasn't the best while we were here but it didn't ruin anything. We were still able to do everything we wanted and the setting was so beautiful it was impossible to be frustrated by it - even when the rain meant our electricity was off for a few hours!
The staff here we all really friendly and have excellent English. A trip to this part of Thailand is an absolute must and we would go back and do it all again in a heartbeat!

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Laura C
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Had a wonderful stay here in 2007, we saw the amazing families of monkey on the hillside from here, took a trip on rubber rings on the river and took a great boat trip with a wonderful guide called Joy, brilliant experience and a trip of a lifetime. I will never forget. wonderful memories

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
England
Reviewed December 30, 2011

Wow. What a fantastic place. Just enough home comforts to make it workable (travelling with a small child), but close enough to nature to make it a real experience. The lodges are lovely and the whole setting is so atmospheric - especially the wonderful timber bar / restaurant area. Monkeys on the terrace and swinging in the trees; kids paddling and swinging on a rope over the river; the sounds of the jungle as you drop off to sleep. Remember to deet up, and you'll have a great time!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank TellSyd
Phuket Town, Thailand
Reviewed July 1, 2011

At the end of May I returned to Art's Riverview Jungle Lodge - this time with my girlfriend and my parents. The lodge is in a fantastic location, with wooden huts running down the side of a river. The huts themselves are basic, but have all you need - a fan, a bed with a mosquito net and a bathroom. Outside there is a terrace or balcony, depending on if you are on the ground or first floor, where you can sit and watch the river and monkeys! The hotel restaurant sits over the river and provides a lovely setting for breakfast, which is not included in the price but is very reasonable, or to sit and relax. The lodge is well located for jungle trekking and visiting the national park.
I have no reservation in recommending this lodge. Yes, the rooms are basic, but you're in the jungle and didn't come here to sit in the rooms anyway.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank BeammeupScotty_75
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 5, 2011

Before going to Thailand we checked out reviews of Art's River View Lodge (after we had booked it, and we did so through Limestone Lake Tours) and we were worried that the rooms wouldn't be that great but the place was AMAZING! One thing that travels need to remember is that you are in the jungle. There isn't going to the the same luxuries as on a resort. That said, this place was great (minus the beds being a little too firm..) the staff was amazing, some of the best we had in all of Thailand (although staff at the Thara Patong were also amazing). Because we booked this place through a tour group our meals and tours were included and done through Art's.
The guides that we had for both elephant trekking and hiking through the jungle were amazing. Our guide for the jungle hike went by the name of Adam and I would recommend him to everyone. He was fantastic, picking up bugs and lizards so we could really get a good sense of jungle animals and as someone with a great camera who loves to photograph bugs he really took great care of my interests. He was able to point out things we wouldn't have seen otherwise.
The food at the hotel was amazing, thinking about it now I want to go back for some of the food. It was fairly basic, but was great for my tastes, although there was a pretty big selection (if you keep in mind that you are in the jungle!).
Our room was basic but really gave us the jungle feel we wanted. There is no air-conditioning but there were fans and we even found that we got a little cold during the night. We didn't wake up to bugs in our room or anything crazy (although we did find a frog in the bathroom). The bathroom is "outside", there are walls but no roof, with a fully functioning western toilet and sink. The shower however wasn't the best for really taking a good shower as it was more like a waterfall but it was cold and refreshing and beautiful. For a longer stay that shower would have started to bother me but as we weren't there for an extended stay it did the job well.
There isnt a swimming pool although there is a river which we saw many people swimming in. The water looked beautiful and refreshing. There was also a rope swing for children.
If you got up early in the morning you were also able to catch monkeys (at least 2 dozen) playing, bathing and eating down by the river. It was the most beautiful sight. It suggest getting up early (about 6:30) and going to the river to watch them play. There were baby monkeys swimming and running around. It was one of the most beautiful sights. However by the time more travellers had gotten up (about 7:30) the vast majority of the monkeys had disappeared back into the jungle.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2011

The terrace - bar/restaurant etc., overlooks the river and the view is amazing. The air is so clear that the colours are incredibly bright. The staff were fine and the food good and cheap despite the location.

The rooms are so basic. Beds under mosquito nets are rather hard. The only other furniture is a table and chair + room fans. There is no glass in the windows, which meant the wooden shutters had to stay closed to keep the insects and monkeys out and the room is very dark. The bathroom was grim, broken fittings, dirty curtain, etc., and a smell of damp throughout. The room wasn't cleaned during our stay either. The room didn't shut properly and signs tell you not to leave anything of value in the rooms.

The safety deposit boxes are in a separate building and didn't seem very secure, though had to be used for valuables when out on the river.

Staff took us off to the elephant ride and were great at stopping off to point out interesting views. We went river tubing from the lodge, which was brilliant. The staff accompanying us were great - pointing out snakes and plants of interest along the way.

The monkeys are entertaining to watch late afternoon when they come down to feed. Frogs appeared on the terrace. The fireflys were incredible to watch.

Room Tip: Be prepared for the basic nature of this place!