“Thief!”

Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Sattahip
Bangkok, Thailand
“Thief!”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I just got back form this hotel today (sunday May 12th). I went there on saturday. I didn't expect anything from this hotel. But for what I got, it is lower than my expectation. With the money I spent, I could have gone to many 5 stars hotel. But the worst thing happen to me. I left the hotel for a dinner around 17:30. I put my bag on the bed which there was a macbook air in that bag too. I locked the room and went out for a dinner with my family. I came back around 20:30 and found out that the room was not lock. I went inside the room and found that my bag was gone. I called the reception and they did not seem to interest in it until my dad went to the lobby and call them to check the room. No one seem interest in it. I went to the police station then the police came. I asked to see if I can check the CCTV. But they said we cannot check the CCTV until tomorrow morning (sunday). The next morning, my dad went to see the CCTV. The staff ask him that did I really bring the bag. And they said things like how can we know you brought the back and you did not brought it out with you. Then my dad ask if they will take the responsibility or not. The staff said they can only take responsibility for the things that are in the safe... which obviously macbook is bigger than the safe! Then the manager said the only thing they can offer was a hotel voucher.. DUHHH!! why would I come back to this hotel?

p.s. my room was straightly across the lobby!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
13 Thank prewwai
Vinit C, General Manager at The Sunset Village Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Khun Prewwai,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to provide this valuable feedback relating to your recent visit. Your review in the Trip Advisor did take me by surprise, appearing only one day after you left our resort, considering that your dad, Khun Somsak, had agreed to allow me a few days to conduct the investigation. Nevertheless, I really regret what happened and especially as I had no chance to talk to you to explain our procedures and responsibility regarding this case.

Khun Prewwai, please be assured that the management of the hotel take these matters very seriously, as we would also like to know what really happened that evening. We would never deny responsibility, if the results of the investigation turn out to be our fault. We have nothing to lose financially as we have insurance to cover these liabilities. We regard that safety of our guests as most important in this business but to blame our staff members and label them as thieves can also be very serious and could ruin the rest of their life and career, if we do not have any proof in the first place. The onus of proof still prevails in these matters.

Kindly let me explain the procedures that we went through, which you may be unaware of. When we were informed by Khun Somsak that the MacBook in room 301 was missing after the family returned from having dinner outside of the resort, our Duty Manager and Personnel Manager were immediately on the scene and accompanied Khun Somsak to the police station. On their return to the resort and finding that the CCTV couldn’t replay, we immediately contacted the CCTV Company, who told us that they couldn’t send someone to the resort that night but will come in the morning, which they did. The CCTV was checked, together with Khun Somsak, our Personnel Manager and myself, but we couldn’t see anything, as the angle of the CCTV did not cover up to room 301. The Duty Manager and Personnel Manager also accompanied the police to investigate and question many of our staff members that night.

During the conversation with Khun Somsak in the morning I also asked him for a few days to conduct the investigation of all our staff members concerned and this was to also include dormitory and house searches. This he agreed. I even offered Khun Somsak a hotel voucher to come back but somehow was misunderstood as being compensation.

Please be informed that the questioning on bringing the bag to the resort is normal procedure, as there were similar cases where guests have found their ‘missing’ belongings when they arrived home. However in your case the CCTV did show that you carried it with you during your arrival at the hotel. Unfortunately it can’t be displayed when you left for dinner as your car was blocking it.

After the incident we tried contacting your dad, Khun Somsak, several times for his email address, to send our completed report of the incident but he would like to wait for the police report, which never showed up after that night. We have even tried to call them many times to no avail.

Last but not least, Sunset Village Beach Resort has been operating, with a good reputation for more than 25 years and we will never turn our backs and act irresponsibly to any of our guests.

With best regards,

Vinit Chidchanognarth
Group General Manager
Sunset Group Thailand

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Thai first
rojales
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We were here 3 yrs ago and loved it. This year sadly to say the restaurant service was not good..we ordered 2 meals and got 3 but managed to eat these as the portions were small. Food was just OK

The whole place is beginning to look really run down. The decking looks really old and everything need a good face lift. Shame as the setting is wonderful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ollieRojales
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed here in November 2011, great property, The beach rooms are a tad more expensive than the garden ones. My daughter had a blast as she just had to get out of the room and on to the beach. The beach is not all that big as shown on their site as a lot of the sand has been washed away. Spent 3 nights here.The first night we spent in room 225 but there was a lot of noise ( trucks) as they were working on renovating the cottage near by. Got the room changed the next day.
The food is priced a bit high, and since there are not many options nearby, you are left with no choice.
travel is the other issue as cabs work out to quiet a bit if you have to get to any of the other attractions. The cheapest option is to use the hotel drop to the main highway and wait for the local cabs.
The staff were friendly .

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank ashleyrodrigues
Bangkok
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Two of my friends and I booked and stayed in their 2 bedroom Cosy Garden villa (503 and 504). For the price of almost thb 8500 i had expected a proper suite with a living room but it turned out to be a connecting room similar to the other single units. This was after a 20% discount that was offered by the reservationist when I called so I guess this is what they offer everyone.

The villa was built mostly of wood which were decaying all over. Beds were terribly soft and bathrooms were simply filthy! The shower had any water pressure and we had to bathe under light trickling water. On the second day, the taps ran dry in the morning and we could not wash up until mid morning! The phones in the room were not working and we were told to use our mobile phone to call for service.

The restaurant staff were friendly but food again as overpriced as the room. We ordered 3 tiger prawns that turned out to be simply medium size shrimps and were charged THB 180 for eac prawn!

Upon check we compliant to the manager who took off THB 1000 from the room charge but even then we felt shortchanged and dissatisfied. I have been to overpriced properties but this is extreme and worst of all a bad experience. Never again will we return nor recommend this to anyone. For the price we paid we could chosen a 5 star hotel downtown which we did not consider as we had some dogs with us which they allowed on the resort at price of THB 500 per dog per night. Very disappointing and unacceptable!

Room Tip: Just do not stay here! SERIOUSLY!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
13 Thank ToongTong
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Stayed there during a seminar.
Seminar facilities outstanding for a small group of up to 30 people.
Rooms very much OK although slightly expensive by Thai standards.
Food not bad although a bit dull - probably have to please many tastes.
Clean and well maintained

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank CedricVandermeulen
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed October 31, 2011

small resort , thai management.. friendly staff, foods & beverages average. many russian couples/families but quiet!
2 swimming pool , 2 children pool. perfect for family with children. beach very nice for this area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank nano10
Taiwan
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Stayed two nights on a business retreat. The resort's surroundings are peaceful and rustic.
The two bedroom cottage I stayed in was rather run down. Despite only having the basics, still had two good nights of sleep due to the tranquility.

Room Tip: Better with a sea facing room
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business