“Club Bentota and Luba Tours”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Club Bentota

Club Bentota
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Aluthgama
London, United Kingdom
“Club Bentota and Luba Tours”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

We booked a last minute deal to Club Bentota for 9 nights all inclusive with Kuoni in September 2013.
The hotel is located in a great location one side being on the beach and the other side being on a river. It is a 3 and a half star hotel which clearly needs a bit of modernisation but for the cost of the holiday and the surrounding views we were more than impressed with the place.
It is well worth mentioning the Spas there are 2 - one is the coco spa and one is the local spa. I had treatments in both and they were great so much cheaper than in the UK but still very relaxing.
I was not at all impressed with Kuonis travel rep who clearly was more interested in making a buck and trying to sell his tours than to act as a professional travel rep looking after his customers.
I would however highly recommend Luba. (He works from the beach in a hut at the right hand side as you leave the hotel ) his email is: lubatours@gmail.com.
Prior to travelling to Sri Lanka we had read all about him on Trip advisor and his recommendations by other Brits who he looks after on his tours.
The Kuoni travel rep tried to scare his clients into not booking with anyone else but himself.
It is well worth taking your time to decide where you want to go and then have a look at who you want to go with and ask other guests. All the guests who went with Luba also recommended him to us. We had already arranged with a family friend prior to landing in Sri Lanka to go on a 3 day trip. However on our return to the hotel we booked a 4 hour trip with Luba on the river and to see the turtle hatchery and the local temple. It was a lot cheaper than with kuoni and he was very attentive ensuring that he spotted all the wildlife and showing us what they were and he spoke excellent English. He had other people working for him who arranged tours with the other tourists and as such they spoke russian / german etc. He told us the whole price of the trip which included entry to the trutle hatchery and did not expect any extra money from us. He even arrived with a small gift to present to the ladies. If we had not already arranged a trip with a family friend we would most certainly have travelled with him. There were 4 tourists waiting to take a 3 day trip with him when we left the hotel and they were looking forward to it having paid a very reasonable price which included the hotel they would be staying at. He does not look for tips just recommendations so he can keep his company going and the hotel allow him to meet his guests at their reception. His email is provided above for anyone who wishes to contact him before you arrive in Sri Lanka. Enjoy your Hols. Anne.

1 Thank anne l

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Magor, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

Club Bentota is in a simply stunning location with the Bentota River on the one side and the crashing waves of the Indian Ocean on the other.

As other reviews have stated the hotel is a bit dated but it's extremely clean and well cared for, the grounds are gorgeous. The food was good, you might struggle if you're not keen on spice as even the Tomato sauce had a kick to it, fortunately for me the hotter the better. The desserts looked amazing and my husband took great delight in sampling them (I'm not a sweet fan). We had a meal in the fish restaurant and I had the best prawns of my entire life - they were huge!!!! My husband had pizza which he really enjoyed and we paid around £20.

Some reviews have mentioned the damp, all I would say is don't go to Sri Lanka particularly in Monsoon season if you have an issue with this.

It's easy to spot other British guests as we all had green bands - apparently this is because we're entitled to wine. I did think that this caused a divide between us and the rest of the holidaymakers which is a bit of a shame. That said it was easy to strike up a conversation with other people and we met some fantastic new friends who I'm certain will remain in our lives for years to come.

Last but by no means least I have to mention the wonderful staff and the absolutely AMAZING Luba. Without his dedication to ensuring that you fall in love with his beautiful, diverse country our honeymoon wouldn't have had that extra special quality. We went on the river cruise, tuk tuk drive to the Big local temple where we rode an elephant and to Udawalawe National Park and elephant transit. Although the last trip was epic in how long it takes to get there and back it is well worth it and I highly recommend it. Luba's wife also made us food and sarongs!!!! Absolutely beautiful family and people.

There's so much more I could comment on but a review can only be so long. Luxury it is not but then we paid less for two weeks All Inclusive than we would for self catering in Europe. What you will be assured of at Club Bentota is a warm welcome with hospitality second to none at an absolute bargain price.

2 Thank DebiEvansGale
West Bridgford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

Having just returned from a 10 day stay with my wife at Club Bentota I have to say that the accommodation food and drink were excellent value. The one person who made the holiday was LUBA. Through him we have made several new friends and had some amazing trips at very little cost. You tell him what you want to do and he arranges it, he didn't even take the money for afull day trip until the following morning. He even invited us to dinner at his house and asked for nothing from us, giving us a wonderful meal and then sitting talking generally whilst supplying us with the local coconut brandy, Arrack. If you want a memorable holiday you must contact him, don't use the reps unless you want to pay double. He has an amazing knowledge of the history, customs and flora and fauna of the island as well as being to speak several languages.
I have read comments about vegetarians struggling with the food, but my wife found her vegetarian options extremely varied and tasty.
The resident chipmunks are highly entertaining and I think most of the cake supplied for afternoon tea is used to feed these animals. The large water monitor lizards that roam the grounds also cause a stir, with cameras appearing from everywhere.
To finish I just have to say,"thank you, Luba"

2 Thank John H
southern UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

We had 10 wonderful days at Club Bentota in Sri Lanka - this is the most beautiful location for a hotel, sandwiched between the sea and the river and surrounded by beautiful greenery.
We had one of the bungalows which was perfectly located near to everything and with the sound of the waves as our background. The rooms could be just a touch larger ideally, but the bed was large and comfortable, the shower powerful and with lots of hot water always and it was lovely to have our own area to sit out.
The food at the buffet restaurant was always very good and varied daily - my husband loved the chance to have curry for breakfast, lunch and evening meal and I was never bored by the selection of meals.
The staff were lovely and did all they could to make sure we all had a fabulous time - including the animation team who were enthusiastic but not pushy.
The first time you step onto the beach you will be approached by guides offering to arrange tours for you - make sure you ask for Luba immediately as they have a code of honour which means that once you have spoken to one of the guides you can't then be helped by any of the others. Luba helped make our holiday so special by arranging wonderful trips for us - nothing was too much trouble and he helped us to see and do everything we had planned during our time in Sri Lanka (at a fraction of the cost of the holiday reps). We had a fabulous trip to the safari park, a lovely trip up the river and a really special tour of the countryside by tuc tuc ending at a pretty waterfall - all of which were amazing. If you have anything you especially want to do it is always worth contacting him before you travel on lubatours@gmail.com so that he can get it arranged for you.
The holiday was fabulous value for money, the hotel is comfortable and in a wonderful location, and the trips we took made the holiday a very memorable experience - we will definitely be back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank discerningnotpicky
Rutland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from a brilliant 10 days in Sri Lanka. It was the first time I've been to the country and I would go back in a heartbeat.

If you're looking for a relaxing holiday with a pool, beach and great food then Club Bentota is perfect and such good value.

Being a huge curry fan having curry twice a day never got boring, they had such a variety of very traditional Sri Lankan dishes which really hit the spot for me and my girlfriend.

My biggest recommendation is to ignore what the Kuoni rep says on your welcome meeting and don't book your trips through them. Instead go straight to the beach and find Anura.

On our 2nd day we met Anura on the beach, he was brilliant, having a Man United tuk tuk got my immediate attention and respect, but his tours were something else.

We first went on his Bentota river trip and I was amazed and fascinated by Anura's knowledge and eagle eyed vision to spot the most well camouflaged local wildlife, we saw Crocodiles, Monkeys, Lizards, Snakes and a superb selection of birds.

The next trip was the undoubted highlight of the holiday, a day to Udawalawe national park, with the aim of seeing Elephants. We weren't disappointed, we saw loads! Again Anura was extremely accommodating and the perfect guide.

I would recommend Sri Lanka and Club Bentota to anyone, ignore the poor reviews, unless you are some on who goes on holiday and actively looks for problems.

Also try the local drinks, had a terrible hangover from drinking the deceptively strong bar cocktail Planters Punch, still wouldn't change a thing.

Can't wait to go back.

Guy

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RutlandCurryClub
Rochester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

An exceptional resort in my opinion. Fabulous location. Great facilities and a super chilled atmosphere. I can easily recommend Club Bentota. Highlights were: the buffet at all meal times, the spa for massage and the chilled bar for hanging out. Loved it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Stephen G
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

If you are going to Club Bentota , please seek out LUBA for your trips ( he works by himself, has no uncles, friends, ,sons working for him!! Though people may try to tell you they do work for him or help him they don't, Luba never takes a deposit for a trip, you pay him on the day of your trip!! He is a wonderful guy, who will make sure your trips are all special, he has great knowledge of his country & will give you all the information you need & more. His family & himself made us feel very welcome, myself & my husband went to Club Bentota to get married, I had a dress with me but Luba's wife made me the most amazing Sari for my wedding day, something I will cherish forever :)

5 Thank Gail041
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aluthgama
Vivanta by Taj - Bentota
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,542 reviews
The Surf Hotel
The Surf Hotel
#7 of 21 in Bentota

Been to Club Bentota? Share your experiences!