We booked a very reasonably priced all inclusive week in June here through Kuoni.
Firstly be mindful that it's really only 6 days due to the long flight. Also be aware that the BA flight from Heathrow to Colombo stops in Male to drop off and pick up, it is also cleaned (ish) and refuelled making the flight quite a bit longer than ideal (views of the Maldives are spectacular though!).
The shared airport transfer took forever! For some reason we had to stop at Mount Lavina too (toilet break as far as I could gather), over 3 hours in the end. To be fair, getting anywhere in SL takes forever!
Eventually got to the hotel, were shuffled onto a boat that took us over to the spit of land that the resort is on. Check in was quite efficient.
The location is amazing, river one side and sea the other. It should be noted that at this time of year (monsoon season) the sea is really dangerous and swimming is not really possible although you can go in reasonably safety up to about waist height. Undercurrents are potentially lethal though... Swimming in the river I guess is possible but wouldn't recommend it as there are boats coming and going. There are also HUGE water monitors in the river so not ideal if you are a big wuss.
ROOM: We were upgraded to the Deluxe room but there didn't appear to be much difference between rooms apart from the deluxes being a bit closer to the main areas (not too noisy so not an issue). Room was a little tired and shower /toilet areas a bit small (no bath) but really, absolutely fine, very clean, no bugs and the petals on the bed when we arrived were a nice touch! Note that the aircon chilled the room nicely but didn't dehumidify so still a bit clammy.
FOOD: Yes there is a curry theme but it is Sri Lanka after all! The curries were absolutely delish but for non curry lovers, there were pasta dishes, fish, stir fries, a huge salad/fruit bar. Breakfast was either curry(!), continental or egg, bacon, etc (there is also the ubiquitous 'egg man' who will cook your eggs to order).
DRINK: All inclusive : Unlimited (very good) draft local beer all day, local wine with meals only (although I tried one glass of red and it was as rough as old boots so we stuck with beer). Unlimited cocktails from the bar with local spirits although don't expect umbrellas, bells and whistles, they are very basic....
I guess branded spirits were purchasable but didn't see this advertised any where.
Other stuff: 2x ping pong tables, 2x pool tables, 1x pretty standard rectangular swimming pool, a library with books to borrow, a monastery at the far end of the spit (though take some change as the monk got grumpy with us as we didn't have any cash on us to donate - also take mossie repellent up here!)
If you want to eat out you have to get the boat (5 mins) to the mainland and then walk for about 20 mins down the Galle Road (prepare to be hassled). Or take a cab I guess! No restaurants 'just round the corner' due to the unique location of the resort.
We did an 2 day/overnight trip to Kandy, taking in the elephant orphanage (more of a tourist trap than an orphanage) and Siguria (Lion Rock, which was awesome (lots of steps though so not for the unfit!)
To summarise, we loved it! No complainers.... it wasn't 5 star but one knows that when booking! It was very reasonably priced, we definitely got value for money and we had a really lovely time. Would certainly recommend!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the wonders of the beaches of Sri Lanka during your stay at Club Bentota. A hassle free vacation for you and a fun-packed adventure for the kids: we provide exciting water sports, an extensive Ayurvedic spa and so much more on a secluded, breathtaking beach front. Built on a peninsula referred to as Paradise Island, Club Bentota is located on the South West coast of Sri Lanka and is flanked by the Indian Ocean and the Bentota River. Have fun under the sun with jet skiing, wind surfing, beach volleyball, croquet, river boat cruises and much more. Unwind by taking a dip in the pool or Ocean, play a game of cards with friendly guests from around the world, or read a book in our hotel book shop. Choose from our all-inclusive or full-board packages and book a vacation to Club Bentota, where the sun and sand await you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Club Bentota reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Club Bentota Hotel Aluthgama
- Bentota Hotel Aluthgama
- Club Bentota Sri Lanka/Aluthgama