Please read our complain letter to KUONI:
I have just returned from our honeymoon to Sri Lanka and the Maldives. We booked with kuoni as we have previously used your services and were confident that you provide high quality holidays.
We were therefore shocked when we arrived at Club Bentota in Sri Lanka and were taken to our room. It was dark and dank,tired decor and a view of a fence some ten feet from our window with a broken chair and discarded broken palm leaves.
We were do to see our Kuoni rep the following morning and queried if this could be the deluxe room we had been given as a honeymoon upgrade. He spoke to the manager who said there were no rooms available but that a guest was leaving the following morning and we could have that. We accepted this and went to check the room from the outside as he had told us which one it was.
On our way, we saw a sign showing which rooms were superior and which were deluxe. As we suspected our original room was of the lower category, but even worse so was the room we were supposed to be moving to. We went straigh back to the manager and pointed this out. He then finally arranged for a transfer to the correct class of room. After a long flight and transfer we really didn't expect to have to fight to get this sorted out. Kuoni is normaly so organised and efficient that we felt really let down and that our dream honeymoon was turning into a cheap package holiday.
We also found it hard to believe that the Club Bentota could be classified as 3,5 star hotel resort. There was not the usual warm welcome upon arrival as they seemed to just want to confirm our identity and send us to our (wrong) room. When it came to the all inclusive package we were sadly dissapointed at the quality and standard of what was available. We have been on many much cheaper all inclusive holidays which provided a much better service. The 2 all inclusive coctails of the day remained the same throughout our entire stay. When made they comprised of extremely sickly sugar syrup. We thought that if we paid for a 'proper' cocktail we might actually get a decent drink. Unfortunately all cocktails appeared to be made with the same syrup and it was hard to differentiate between them. All the soft drinks were made of sugar syrup and tasted the same, so we ended up drinking water during our stay. If we wanted fruit juice we had to pay extra. Food in the all inclusive was of a very low standard, with very little variety from day to day. Seafood was only available twice a week if you paid an additional charge (approx £10-15 for 200g prawns for example). Several times during our stay given dirty plates,glasses,cutlery. On one occasion I even witnessed the cleaning of glasses in the bar which consisted merly of runing it under the tap and wipeing it with his finger.
When it came to the internet conection we started by purchasing an hour and attempted to use the computers provided by the hotel. These were unusable as they were extremely slow and apparently full of virus (confirmed later by one of the staff on the desk). On two further occasions we purchased one-hour access and tried to use via Wi-Fi with an IPad. Again we had very little success with this and when we went back to the desk we were told that the signal was frequently down and that we should try again later. We pointed out that although we had managed to log in we had been unable to log out and therefore lost a total of three hours internet connection. The staff simply said that can happen and there was no offer of a refund (nor did they warn us of this beforehand).
What summed up the stay for us was on our departure in the early hours of the morning. We had to find out the details and arrange this ourselves. The single person on the desk showed no interest in us other than to remove our all-inclusive wrist bands. He didn't ask if we had enjoyed our stay or wish us well on our journey. I appreciate that this isn't necessarily part of the service but we just expect a little more from a Kuoni holiday
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the wonders of the beaches of Sri Lanka during your stay at Club Bentota. A hassle free vacation for you and a fun-packed adventure for the kids: we provide exciting water sports, an extensive Ayurvedic spa and so much more on a secluded, breathtaking beach front. Built on a peninsula referred to as Paradise Island, Club Bentota is located on the South West coast of Sri Lanka and is flanked by the Indian Ocean and the Bentota River. Have fun under the sun with jet skiing, wind surfing, beach volleyball, croquet, river boat cruises and much more. Unwind by taking a dip in the pool or Ocean, play a game of cards with friendly guests from around the world, or read a book in our hotel book shop. Choose from our all-inclusive or full-board packages and book a vacation to Club Bentota, where the sun and sand await you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotwire, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Club Bentota reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Club Bentota Hotel Aluthgama
- Bentota Hotel Aluthgama
- Club Bentota Sri Lanka/Aluthgama