“Castlereagh”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hatton
Reigate, United Kingdom
“Castlereagh”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was the most wonderful experience! We loved everything about it! The service was superb. The setting was glorious. Our butler was most attentive. We rang the bell and we were amazed to hear the butler knock within three seconds. We had a very early start on our departure and we were served breakfast in our room. Everything was great!

Room Tip: This is a very small hotel. Only five rooms in total. Our suite was very large. Three of us were s...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank suen50

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Grimstad, Norway
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Officially I have now time travelled - from 2012 and back to the days when Sri Lanka still was known to us as Ceylon and the plantation owners
lingered in places like the bungalows at TeaTrails.

I have fond memories of my stay in september last year in the classy and tasteful Norwood bungalow and its lush and breathtaking surroundings.
Pampered and looked after by a discreet and attentive staff I soon felt like a planter myself, recovering from the demanding tea growing business -
however that must have been back in those days…

Standing by the pool one morning admiring a pair of enormous bamboo trees, the chef turned up entirely uniformed, asking me how i would like my
dinner later that day and what preferences I had considering my meal! Well, that became a routine every morning throughout my entire stay and everything
- the opulent breakfast, fantastic soups, the best scones with clotted cream i´ve ever tasted and the amazing curry for dinner - made me ask for less:
I just couldn´t eat that much and felt guilty leaving so much delicious and nicely presented food unfinished - but not untouched though!

The tour of the tea factory should be mandatory even if your not entirely into tea, just because the "guide" Andrew is absolutely fascinating.
He is an intriguing and amazing ambassador and encyclopedia of tea - if he doesn´t know, nobody knows - I could have taken the tour more than once.
Thereby getting every single answer regarding tea plucking, tea growing, tea fermenting, tea cooking, tea drinking and so on. Stunning, just stunning.

Being four bungalows spread widely across the valley, you might wonder where to stay and how to get around. As mentioned before I went for
the Norwood bungalow and in terms of location and style it still is my favourite. However you can feel free to visit all of them and - as I did - have lunch here.
It´s part of the concept and the price. I went for a nine mile hike through tea plantations and lovely villages, amazed by that evergreen hill country, to have
my lunch and a much deserved Lion Lager at the Castlereigh bungalow - another terrific reminiscence of a time long gone.
So is the Tientsin bungalow, and every single bungalow is unique, witnessing the past decades and beautifully preserving them with their wonderful
gardens, period architecture, exquisit furniture and truly inviting swimming pools.
Perhaps the Tientsin offers the most stunning view of the mountains, the Norwood being the most lush one cushioned by the vegetation and the Castlereigh
topping it with a stunning view of the lake - I only missed out the Summerville.
That will be saved for the next visit altogether with the urge to get another factory tour - just for that time warp experience of TeaTrails.

PS: the sausages for breakfast are among the best I have ever tried.

Room Tip: Garden suite does the job.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank David B
Dublin
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Castlereagh Bungalow: Great food, wonderful atmosphere/ambience, lovely staff, very friendly to kids. I suppose it's up to people to make sure they have adequate insect repellent. We got savaged. Perhaps if those mosquito tablets had been plugged in, it might have helped. Apart from that it was top notch.

• Stayed April 2013
AYRSHIRE, SCOTLAND
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Having read previous acclaimed reviews, I had very high expectations of my visit to Norwood Bungalow at Tea Trails. As astonishing as it sounds those expectations were exceeded by some margin. This is by any measure the most fantastic place on earth, and surpassed my visit to the Maldives, which was the 2nd leg of our trip. The food was truly fine dining and service unsurpassed. I was a bit sceptical about breakfast tea, which is not really our thing, however it was subtle, unobtrusive and just made the start of the day very special. If peace, tranquility, timeless elegance and the most beautiful scenery created by the tea plantation is your thing, then go to Tea Trails. It is expensive, but not a penny is grudged. It is that good. For us this has been the best stay in 25 years of travelling. By the way, two or three days as part of a Sri Lanka holiday is plenty, as it is just impossible to eat all the wonderful food which is presented. On Easter Monday, we had cooked breakfast, 3 course lunch, afternoon tea, which included sandwiches, cakes and creme scones, followed by a 5 course evening dinner. As I said, this is not sustainable for too long, but a for a few days, no problem. Susanta, the chef, is utterly superb and service provided by jakuth and his team was unparalleled.....

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at Tientsin bungalow. Difficult to express the feeling of pleasure: just a matter of letting yourself go and being pampered. The peaceful surroundings are magnificent, whether the gardens or the views and the walks through the tea plantations. Room was very well appointed, and the overall decoration of the bungalow a pleasure to the eye. The service was sublime, discrete but ever present, anticipating all our needs. The food was extremely good, whether Sri Lankan or more westernised, the chef did not miss a beat. And what to say of high tea ! Included is a visit to a local tea factory, lead by a competant and amusing guide, well worth it. If ever in the area again, we would not miss staying.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed March 26, 2013

It is hard to add to all the glowing reviews that preceed me but I'll try! To say that Tea Trails is a magical and special place really doesn't convey the true experience of staying here. I stayed in Tientsin with my friend for two nights and we were stunned by the tranquility and beauty from the word go. The bungalow is perfect in every way, not to mention the superb food along with excellent welcoming attention from Mahesh/Manager, Janaka/Head Steward and Pradeep/Chef especially. I haven't eaten better food anywhere and although there are huge quantities - 3 course lunch and 4 course dinner plus a lovely afternoon tea - I did my best to sample it all. it is expensive but a never-to-be-missed experience. Sitting for breakfast in the tea country with the mist surrounding the mountains and tea fields will be something I will never ever forget, would that I was a wealthy woman who could reside there for months at a time!!

Room Tip: The garden suites have a lovely view and large patio great for enjoying morning "bed" tea.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank LynP52
England
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed one night at Tiensin, and two at Norwood. The service at the former was exceptional, and very good at the latter. The all inclusive food is really top quality, and you can choose to have your meals in any of the 4 bungalows owned by Relais & Chateaux.
They really know what they are doing here, and the staff are well-trained. The rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable. We particularly liked our garden suite at Norwood.
If you stay at Norwood you must do a morning walk to Castlereagh - a stunning wander through the tea plantations is a wonderful way to work up an appetite for you 3 course lunch. And your afternoon tea. And your 4 course dinner. You get the picture. Excellent.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hatton
Heritance Tea Factory
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,955 reviews
The Blackpool Hotel
The Blackpool Hotel
#2 of 28 in Nuwara Eliya

Been to Ceylon Tea Trails? Share your experiences!