Ceylon Tea Trails - Relais & Chateaux
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Alpine Hotel(Nuwara Eliya)
1,327 results
All reviewscastlereagh bungalowgarden suitesri lankaour honeymoonother guestsstayed nightscourse dinnerinfinity poolmaster suitefactory tourworth every pennysea planewalking trailseach morningpre dinner drinkscolonial styleoverlooking the lake
FilterAll languages
997 - 1,002 of 1,327 reviews
Reviewed January 11, 2012

I'm not sure if we've fallen in love with Sri Lanka or Tea Trails - but for me the two are inseparable. We stayed at Castlereagh and Somerville, but it doesn't matter where you spend the night, as all four bungalows are part of the same group, and you can sleep in one, have lunch in another and then change locations on your second or third day depending on how much you want to move around.

All the staff were amazing, not only the way they made us feel like family (in a very nice way) but also the way they were so polite and helpful (especially towards some rather obnoxious guests who complained about the singing in the nearby village and asked the hotel if they could ask request local residents to stop the festival celebrations!) "Sigh" - is all I can say.

The food, whether Sri Lankan or western was to a very high standard and the chefs couldn't do enough to meet our needs. Particularly special for us was celebrating my husband's birthday there and the way the staff made our elderly parents feel relaxed and as if they were in a second home from home!

We will definitely be back for a third visit and hope it will be early in 2013!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Pookiecat
Reviewed January 10, 2012

That says it all for us!! Stayed at Norwood again, walked to castlereagh for lunch (again) and for something different rowed across the lake to Summerville.

The food if it is possible was a wee bit better than a year ago, would be considered "fine dining" in Australia.

If you want to be completely indulged in the most superb surroundings by the most gorgeous people, this has to be in the must do list.

Once we've done a few more trips on the list, we will be back for a third time I'm sure.

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank worktotravel010
Reviewed January 10, 2012

This is the place to be if u looking for the most peaceful and wonderful place to relax.
We had a wonderful suite with nice living room, great bed and cute bathroom, also we had a great beautiful garden where u can have a nice afternoon tea looking the sunset.
The Tea Trails is very colonial decor, which make the place more special.
The food is amazing. The hotel have a nice pool and beautiful view from the river and the mountains.
The service is great, i really recommend u stay at last 1 night in this luxury and magic place!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2012

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I simply do not believe anywhere offers the value for money Sri Lanka does.

Tea Trails is relatively more expensive than some of the other exceptionally fine boutique hotels in Sri Lanka but is worth every cent. We stayed at the ridiculously beautiful Castlereagh bungalow with five beautiful rooms. We chose a garden room and I would highly recommend this as the grounds and gardens are just exquisite. We had our own private garden off the small living area in our suite and would sit out on the white chairs in the afternoon watching the sunset absolutely persuaded to throw in everything and buy our own bungalow in the Tea Country.

The bungalow is decorated in a colonial manner and the attention to detail is flawless. We were fortunate enough to meet the architect who was designing one of the new bungalows that will be built in the hills above Castlereagh. My partner and I were sitting in the library partaking, rather generously, in the complimentary sherry and port before dinner when a lady appeared with a measuring tape and started to measure the dimensions of the sofa we were sitting in. When I asked her what she was doing she said we looked so comfortable and relaxed she wanted to capture the exact dimension of the sofa we were sitting on. After dinner we relaxed in the library chatting with her and she explained the lovely history of the Tea Trails and that it is Dilmah Tea's first venture into the leisure business. Well done Dilmah! If everybody suddenly stops drinking tea, you would make a fortune replicating the Tea Trails concept elsewhere.

Apart from an incredibly tasteful and well executed period renovation, the absolute stand out of Castlereagh was the food. Shortly after checking-in, we had a brief chat with the Chef who proposed a 4-course lunch and 5-course dinner. The food was of a quality and sophistication that would put any international 5-star hotel to shame.

If I had the opportunity to do it again, would I do anything differently? Yes! I would stay at Tienstin - the oldest and smallest of the bungalows. It was just exquisite.

Do take the tour of the tea factory! I discovered the perfect Broken Orange Pekoe. Just like Castlereagh, it was tasteful, refined and eloquent and I just couldn't get enough of it.

The food is

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2012

If you are worried about splurging, you will nit regret it. Stayed for 2 nights at Tientsin bungalow and could have stayed for longer. Included in the price is all food and drinks and a tour of the near-by Norwood tea factory. The bungalow is beautifully appointed and each room has its own style and decor. We stayed in the Moir room with a small terrace overlooking the lawn. Pre-drink drinks are from 7pm with the other guests and dinner is at the time you choose. Your menu for the day is discussed with you at breakfast each morning. If you have room after the three course lunch, high tea is held in the afternoon from 4pm. We would highly recommend staying at the tea trails. It is unlike anyway we have ever stayed before and well worth the expense.

• Stayed: January 2012