“Brilliant hosts, spectacular countryside”

and 1 more site!
Tea Hill's Bungalow
Ranked #1 of 17 Specialty Lodging in Hatton
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Sri Lanka is easily the perfect holiday destination, and Kamal, Sanjay and team at Tea Hill's Bungalow are the perfect hosts! After falling in love with Sri Lanka on my first visit a few years ago, it was a dream come true to be able to come back with my husband, and Hatton was as yet uncharted waters for the both of us. We were impressed by the clean rooms with large 4 poster bed, the amazing Sri Lankan food by their family cook, the stunning views of tea plantations all around us, and I think most of all, by the hospitality. Every effort was made to make us feel at home and despite our hectic holiday schedule, we always felt we could come home, relax, and be looked after.

Kamal usually offers a holiday package with tons of activities. My husband and I sort of stumbled upon the accommodation while trying to author our own itinerary, and so we picked and chose our own activities, but were gratefully guided by their suggestions. These included a visit to the Tea Castle, little chapel and reservoir from the days of the British settlement, visiting the local grandiose Hindu temple, a fabulous white water rafting trip where our guides also took us to hidden pools, and the climb up the famous Adam's Peak - where incidentally our horrible rental car broke down in the middle of the night right at the entrance of the climb, and Kamal got us out of a scrape by having his driver pick us up by the time we had descended from the summit in the morning, free of charge. We really appreciated their local knowledge and advice on what to expect when it came to visiting places on our own, as signs are not always clear in Sri Lanka, and we could've gotten very very lost. In fact, on our first day, Sanjay waited up and called us at intervals during our difficult drive through the hill country with updated directions, and waited for us at the Hatton roundabout to guide us to the bungalow.

Have to put in extra mention about the food, as it was so delicious! The hosts offered Western fare if we wanted it, but we were more than happy with the various Sri Lankan dishes, roti, string hoppers, curries, devilled dishes, and even Kiribath for New Year, with a chilled glass of the freshest fruit juice and Galaõ-like coffee and tea anytime during the day. We share the bungalow with a lovely family who was on Kamal's regular package, and dined as a family, the hosts attentive throughout in terms of making sure our plates were never empty and the conversation was lively and warm :) There were firecrackers and sparklers to get us in the festive mood on New Year's, too!

All in all, it was a lovely experience and one that we will always remember and try to repeat! I honestly believe that we will be coming to visit again in the future and definitely recommend Tea Hill's Bungalow to friends and family. Thank you so much to Kamal, Sanjay, Kamish, cook uncle and old uncle for giving us such beautiful holiday memories!!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank indalus3
There are newer reviews for Tea Hill's Bungalow

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We had a great time at the Tea Hills Bungalow. The view is brilliant, weather awesome and Kamal and his team ensured that we enjoyed every moment of our stay there. Not to forget the delicious food that we were treated to....the Srilankan cuisine was great and our daughter enjoyed the pizzas and pasta. Sanjay is an expert guide, he worked out the perfect sight seeing plan for us. The white water rafting was an experience indeed. Tea Hills Bungalow is a home away from home, and if you are looking for a relaxing break, this is the place to be!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Manju28
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I am 32 and live in Dubai. I needed to escape this fake brick city for at least 7 days. Somewhere peaceful with alot of green trees, history and nature. Why not SriLanka?

The packaged tour has definitely over exceeded our expectations. We have never been to Srilanka before and had we not taken the tour there is no way we would have seen the amazing sites we seen. Had we also not taken the tour we would have spent alot more money and time in organizing our own travel and accommodation.

The tour kept us very busy. We were never bord.
We felt as though we were in an undiscovered part of SriLanka as we saw next to nil tourist during our visit.
The accommodation was very clean and nice.
I was able to work and send emails during our trips as WIFI was provided to us in the Van.
The service was unbelievable. they were all very nice. We had our own cooks etc.
We were able to add extra activities to our trip such as climbing Adams Peak.
The nature was INCREDIBLE!!
After the trip finished they offered to drop us off at Hikkaduwa beach which is a 3 - 4 hr drive from where we were. We then spent 3 days relaxing after our tour on the beach. A great idea to wind down from all the trekking etc.

the tour was so good that we felt bad given that the cost to us was so cheap.

I would not recommend this tour to anyone who wants to party. this tour is for the mature who wish to explore nature, culture, food and escape western society. truly an amazingly refreshing experience!!

Reviewed December 22, 2012

I enjoyed my stay in the Tea Hill's Bungalow. Me and my boyfriend got greeted at the airport by Sanjay, who was waiting for us with a nice bouquet of flowers. It was very nice begining of our holiday. Tea Hill's Bungalow is set in a beautiful scenery, surrounded by the tea trees. Every day of our stay was very well planned and full of different activities and surprises, the trip suits to eveyone because the service was very personalized to keep us happy all the time, Sanjay was always available. I enjoyed the elephant ride and white water rafting, have very nice memories from these activities. Also liked the time when we were taken to the children orphanage where we were surrounded by kids who were singing and dancing for us, we spent some time with them playing and chating, it was nice feeling seeing these kids being so happy. We aslo experienced sri lankan local food which was cooked for us by two nice cooks. Everyone was very friendly to us.

We had a great time in Sri Lanka thanks to Kamal, Sanjay and everyone else who made our trip so amazing and memorable!!!

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Staying at the Tea hills bungalow was for us amazing and surprising experience. Best thing on this set up is, that you have days filled with various activities, but in the same time there is not a detailed description of them, so there is always space for surprise and adventure. But always only in a good way. You have a small team of people who are personally looking after you. Staying at Tea hills bungallow means waking up in nice tidy villa, with direct view on a tea plantages 6000 feet over the sea level. All the sorounding area is so green and fresh.
Besides all the plan, our manager Sanjay was always willing to even adjust it with our wishes. For example from our car window we loved to see the kids going in nice white dress to the school, Sunjay sugest to have a look on them in the school. In a school we went by, he knew some people and he took us during their break to meet them. It was amazing experience to shake hands the kids which were so excited to see for them strange white people. As they were preparing for their Christmas celebrations in their school, they dance for us what they have learned. I thing most of them have seen foreigners first time in their lives. Really memorable thing.
We have seen how the tea is picked and also went to the factory to see the whole process. Went to beatifull waterfalls, seen and ride elephants, took rafting with extra adventure activities - every day was surpise.

I would like to thank to Sanjay, Kamal and rest of their team for how they have looked on us for during whole stay. I would recomend this trip for those who would like to try something else, becouse this is a perfect alternative or substitution of comercial holydays where you are in a big group and do not see much from the destination. After 6 days with Sanjay you have feeling that you learned really a lot about Sri Lanka.

Thank you!

Reviewed December 16, 2012

My wife & me have been traveling around for about 3 years now. Having travelled around Europe, Mediterranean and Asia, we were planning for a Latin American tour this November. But could be "fortunately", due to workload and shortage of off days, we had to think about a quick short break instead of a long latin american vacation. Now, back from the most exciting Sri Lankan experience, we have to thank Kamal & Sanjay of Tea Hill's Bungalow of Fruit Hills who had planned and organized an 'Airport 2 Airport' all inclusive trip taking us through the True Land of Buddha with the touch of a real lankan life comprising of road trips, adventure activities, rafting, trekking, climbing, hiking, hill station, city tour, lot of shopping, charity etc. So much in just 10 days? Still seems impossible without Mr. Sanjay (Manager- Tea Hill's Bungalow). We really appreciate the Tea Hill's crew for their professional way of supporting guests to relax and unwind at the base after a long day. Having stayed in Tea Hill's Bungalow, we now feel that we have to get back to this beautiful home again, for their First Class service. Now, for anyone who reads this review "If you wanna pump up your Adrenaline, try Tea Hill's adventure pack :-p"

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I heard Tea Hill's Bungalow trip from my friend just 1day before my holiday started, the great offer and the nice view attracted me and I made the last minute decission straight away. Then Kamal gave me the first surprise: based on my 4 days stay he made a wonderful tour plan for me in 10 minutes! Since then, a warm welcome by Sanjay with beautiful flowers in the airport, an unexpected stop during driving by Kamas for me to take clear pictures, a pillow in the jeep for long drive, sweet fruits and fresh juice were prepared everystation without asking, lovely small gift even after the trip, etc... Sri Lanka is beautiful, the stay and every tour was amazing, those little shining surprises I'll never forget

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hatton
Heritance Tea Factory
#6 of 20 in Hatton
Hatton Summer House
Hatton Summer House
#3 of 17 in Hatton

Been to Tea Hill's Bungalow? Share your experiences!