“Great people and location”

Weligama Bay Dive Center
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We offer PADI Scuba Diving courses from Open Water Diver to Dive master. Or try Discover Scuba Diving if you never dived before. Certified trainers of SCUBA & PADI Diving based in Weligama from October to April and in Trincomalee from May to October , Sri Lanka. In Weligama we Near Bay Beach Weligama.
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Had the pleasure to do my open water there. The staff and Thaminda are great, the site really nice and on top you get plenty of fruits and a delicious local lunch included.
I felt like at home :-)
They also offer snorkel with a very good guide.

2  Thank Anna_Sabbatical
"water temp"
"refresher course"
"excellent staff"

Reviewed June 11, 2014

I was very lucky to travel to Sri Lanka for the first time in 2012 and meet Thaminda Kumara. With his guidance and careful attention I obtained, at his Padi certified scuba diving center, the Open Water diving license in February of that year.

Recently, this February of 2014, I have came back to Sri Lanka and stayed there for two months. I came for having some dives with my sri lankan friends, while training for obtaining my Advanced open water and Rescue diving licenses, which I received with no problems in my country (Spain). I spent all the days with the people of the diving center, and I also shared house with the other diving instructor, Heap, and the dive master Flo.
My experience there was absolutelly fantastic. I could dive in warm turquoise waters with friendly people, see how the corals are growing again since the tsunami, find schools of colourful fishes everywhere, and see some rare fishes not easyly found in other places. Besides, I could meet lots of other divers from different countries, and I can say that I was impressed of how many of them came from other diving places runed by foreingers (not sri lankan people) and decided that diving in Thaminda's place was much more better since the attention they received at his place made them feel like home and enjoy pretty much the dives. Well, I have to say that the home-made lunches that alltogether costumers and staff had in the diving place were an important point!
Specifically speaking about diving, I have to say there are days of amazing visibility and days of poor one, but when the last happens it is because of the lots of plancton there are in sri lankan waters and that make them so rich of diverse underwater animals. However, usually it was possible to dive with good visibility. The boats are not so big or fast but it is perfect for the small groups (3-5 people) that go diving at the same time. Ah, forget about seeing sharks because most of them were hunted by the fisherman long time ago. Despite of that fact, during the time I was there the instructor Heap and another costumer were lucky enough to see a whaleshark!

It is such a peaceful place were to dive relaxed and with good company, for a reasonable price. Imagine how good it is that when I was there, my best friend came to visit the country and even she was afraid of water she ended taking the Open water license without me pushing her to do it.

I miss very much my friends from the diving center and the fantastic days we spent together. If you finallly decide to go diving there, you will see in the gear room a big frame with pictures that has written in it "Sri Lankan Family" and you will understand how good it was :).

1  Thank Elisenda O
Reviewed May 26, 2014

I was introduced to this place by a friend. It was my first time diving and the trainer had so much patience with me and doing the exercices under the water before going deep. I loved it so much than then I decided to do the open water course and was also an amazing experience, we dived in different places each time and I could see lots of fishes, turtles, lobsters, rays...

I also had the chance to speak to some other costumers and told us the bad experience they had had in other places where they had bad visibility or the rushes of the staff when explaining the training and how happy they were of changing their mind thanks to Thaminda and his diving team of Weligama.

I would definetely recommend this place to everyone, if you want to have a good time and feel like home I can't think of any more welcoming place.

1  Thank judmp
Reviewed May 24, 2014

We were there in May at the end of the season, but still enjoyed 3 nice dives with this centre. Very easy going staff, with everything done for you. You try on the kit, then walk 5 mins to the beach, where the boat is ready, with your kit transported down there by tuk tuk all ready on the boat for you. Our dive guide (Hip) was friendly and helpful, I mentioned I like seeing nudibranches before the second dive and he duly pointed out three for me, can't complain about that! Corals were destroyed by the tsunami and so bear this in mind. Its heart warming to see that there are small soft corals growing back (about 5cm big), plenty of algae on the rocks, and a surprising amount of fish. Trigger fish, a few different types of eels, barracuda, turtles, hump headed parrot fish to name a few. The visibility was better on the first dive (25m), but deteriorated to 15m for the second dive, and the surge takes a bit of getting used to. This is a very nice, simple dive centre, very laid back and relaxing. Well priced for dive and kit hire, ideal if you want to fit 2 dives into the morning before going surfing in the afternoon.

1  Thank TheSunToucher