“Lovely quiet beach location and good food”

GOOD STORY (Neptune Resort)
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Weligama
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely quiet beach location and good food”
Reviewed April 14, 2012

First of all I'd like to make it clear that I've stayed here before back in February 2011 so I'm reviewing this for the second time for my recent stay in March 2012.

I must admit feeling a little worried that the place had changed after reading many of the reviews on here. But no, our experience was still great!

The setting is right on the beach, which is a quiet beach that you have to yourself most of the day, and staff at the hotel make sure the beach is clean in the morning.

Breakfast is fruit, eggs and tea and Dinner is whatever you like! At the start of the stay we were asked what we could eat and how spicy we could eat. So if you do have a special requirement they will do it for you. One day we felt like a fish curry and they made it so you can request things you like under the half board - wonderful!

We had the opposite problem to many of the reviewers on here in that our deposit bounced and wasn't paid. They were very good about this. Another point in their favour is waiting ages at the airport for us despite a lengthy flight delay and getting through customs

One thing to keep in mind is that there is only one key for the rooms (which you have) so if you go out for the day you'll need to hand this in or the cleaner cannot clean it without the keys. They are also building a massive Marriott next door so it is possible that the beach might not be so quiet in the future.

I was glad to find Neptune Resort still as good as ever!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
mallorca
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Had the unfortunate experience of staying here for three nights with my family. I would have changed to the Samaru guest house next door but I was made to pay all nights up front. The room was ok, but sparse. It was not cleaned during our 3 night stay and expensive. The owner and family were the most unfriendly Sri Lankans we came across on our 3 week tour. They have no interest in hospitality but only dollars. The food was poor, the breakfast minimal and the atmosphere at the guesthouse is awful. Only 2 out of 12 rooms were occupied during our high season stay ...that says it all.....there are 2 other far more friendly places just next door ....go there instead!!!! The Neptune is an awful place!

• Stayed February 2012
7 Thank ojmac
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 1, 2012

My experience was that the management of the Neptune Inn are dishonest & not professional.

I had made a reservation on the hotel's website & paid an $82 USD deposit. The reservation was processed by a travel agency & they sent me a confirmation, stating that the deposit had been received. However, when I arrived, the woman at the hotel said that they had never received the $82 from the travel agency so she demanded that I pay it again to the hotel. I refused to do this. I emailed the travel agency & learned that the hotel had been paid. It took several days before this matter was resolved & the management's attitude was strange & very unhelpful; at one point, telling me that (I quote) 'This is not my problem'. I am convinced that they were trying to rip me off for the extra money.

Also, the voucher quoted the outstanding balance I owed in USD & when the hotel converted this figure to rupees, they inflated it by approximately $50 USD (my fault for not checking).

My room were pretty average & it was only cleaned once in 7 days. The restaurant food is not bad but overpriced & the service abysmally slow.

Weligama is a nice, simple, relatively unspoiled beach resort, especially for surfers. If you want to have relaxed, hassle-free time, my recommendation is: STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank tm8405
London
Reviewed January 12, 2012

10th January 2012
Whilst holidaying in Weligama I was horrified to be witness to the owner and manager of The Neptune Resort attacking a neighbour, This turned out to be a brutal attack as they obviously called in local reinforcement, they attacked with bottles and metal bars etc.with intent to maim and maybe kill. I have travelled all over the world and have never seen any incidents like this, it was on par with the attack and subsequent murder in Tangalle. .I came to Sri lanka thinking the dangerous war years were over but If this is how local Sri lankans behave in tourist areas I will never return to sri lanka and advise everyone to go elswhere for their holiday. If you value your life do not go toThe Neptune Resort Weligama. BE WARNED!!!!

Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank pauline B
Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Neptune has a great location for surfing Weligama. It's right on the beach and has a nice two level shack for taking breakfast and watching the waves.

Rooms are adequate but overpriced at $40+. Breakfast is good but the main restaurant where they serve dinner is dingy and the food is expensive and mediocre. You're much better off walking up the road to get a plate of curry-rice for 150rp. In the evenings we went to Mirissa for great beach dining.

Mirissa is a much better option in terms of accommodation and food. I'd only recommend neptune and Weligama if you're keen to get lots of time in the water, surfing on a nice gentle beginner wave.

Room Tip: Closer to the beach means further from the noisy road
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Munnsy75
Europe
Reviewed January 1, 2012

We spent almost two weeks at the Neptune Resort in Weligama over christmas time. The rooms looked nice and the place was amazing, so we booked the hotel for almost 2 weeks, because we thought it's all fully booked over the christmas holiday time (we had to pay the whole amount in cash in advance).

Here our feedback:
for the money we spent we didn't received an appropriate service. The breakfast was unacceptable with unenjoyable tea (In Sri Lanka they should know how to make good tea). Sometimes we had to wait an hour until we got some bad toast. The quality of the breakfast wasn't worth to pay 60 USD a night.
If we wanted to eat lunch or something in the afternoon at the restaurant we had to wait AT LEAST one hour just for a simple salad or fruit juice. By the way the food was very bad at all!

We are disappointed and would't recommend to stay there more than 1-2 days!

At our departure after 2 weeks the owner didn't said goodbye to us, after we checked out, very poor!

Room Tip: Rooms directly at the beach front are very loud, especially if some guest (in our case they have bee...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Linda_Europe
Reviewed April 20, 2011

Having read some of the attached reviews, i am simply amazed by the negative comments!

I stayed at the neptune for 3 nights at the end of our family holiday in April 2011 and we just fell in love with its wonderful location & superlative staff! Wish we could have stayed longer and very much hope tpo make it back one day!

Lovely quaint blue & white fairytaleesque structures house the 1up & 1down rooms which look onto the Indian ocean.

The rooms are well sized & comfortable for the price range & very clean. Good a/c and a nice balcony / terrace area compliments this.

The location is just incredible with the tranquil beauty of weligama bay just a stone throw from the room window & the more lively bars & eateries of miressa a small tuktuk fare away.

Around the hotel there's a nice restaurant & a beachfront lounge area, although we didn't try this during our stay.

The food was nice, but not exceptional. Special mention to the toast at b/fast which was the
i've ever tasted.

The owner & staff were very welcoming & helpful. The gardener's attention to detail was quite incredible.

Special praise is reserved for the hotel manager, Aruna. In all our travels around Pakistan, India & Sri Lanka we didn't encounter another of his quality.

An absolutely 1st class manager whose attention to detail, courtesy & attention to detail makes Neptune stand out from the crowd.

On the downside the lack of wi/fi in the rooms is very annoying, although most hotels in sri lanka seem to have either limited or ridiculously expensive coverage.

P. Mcelhinney

• Stayed April 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Weligama
We Escape
#1 of 12 in Weligama
Esprit d'Ici Hotel
Esprit d'Ici Hotel
#1 of 9 in Mirissa

Been to GOOD STORY (Neptune Resort)? Share your experiences!