“Nice place to chill out”
Review of Samaru Beach House

Samaru Beach House
Ranked #9 of 105 Weligama B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Samaru has a relaxed, laid-back atmosphere in a nice location, which seems less crowded than Mirissa. It's quite a unique spot worth staying at.

The staff are flexible with an open, welcoming attitude towards visitors. It's a great place to learn surfing. As a female, you might wish to establish a no-touch policy to help everyone remain focused during the lessons though.

The owner is a knowledgeable guy, who went out of his way to accommodate my needs and find a solution to all my problems arising during my stay there.

I would certainly recommend the place.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed March 28, 2014

Hello,
we had a very good time for about 2 weeks in February at the Samaru Beach House. The Staff was very friendly and the all over atmosphere relaxed and welcoming. We had a room with ocean view and paid 5000 Rupies per night including breakfast. Good stay for surf beginners. You can also rent boards or a teacher there.

Cornelis from Germany

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Simply paradise! wonderful service , extremely friendly staff, very good food , comfortable room , very kind and honest owner , we enjoyed every minute and were sorry to leave after two weeks. Worth every penny! Perfect spot for surfers and for beach lovers.

Room Tip: Go to the new building
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We pitched up at Samaru Beach House on our hunt for accommodation. Fortunately, they didn't have any availability as I'm sure it would have been an experience worth forgetting. We ordered some food off the menu anyway as it was lunchtime. We asked the waiter what was good to eat and he basically said nothing. He told us that the club sandwich was the best bet. When the Club Sandwich arrived it was grim, basically about 5 pieces of stale white bread with bacon and cheese and the French fries were cold. Unimpressed we decided to go out for a surf and ended up hiring boards from this place. The boards were actually pretty good but the staff were another matter. I'm only a beginner so decided to have a lesson. The owner of Samaru took me out into the surf and was very touchy feely...I didn't get much out of the lesson apart from being perved on! One of the waiters actually warned us about him too, turns out he was right. The owner will tell you he's in the lonely planet book but quite frankly that doesn't make this a nice place...we're just glad we managed to find other accommodation and had a lucky escape!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Thefreedomtravellers
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I came for the first time in 2009 by recommandation and at that time it was definitely much cheaper to stay at Samaru's. Can't blame the tourism to be back but the prices tripled and the rooms stayed in the same state since i last visited. No Hot water in the shower and no pressure which anyway forces you to use the only option available.. the cold one.. its not cold as you could be used to in Europe but for Sri Lanka's standards, duh that hurts in the morning !

No daily cleaning of the room which for the price requested should be a must as you are definitely bringing sands in all the time and then onto your sheets.

I have also experienced the naughty sand flies bites so yes definitely next have a good repellent as all my body has been hit and it itches like crazy !

I did not surf there nore do i want to surf thus making it quite boring and the food is definitely overpriced and tastes nothing like you would easily find down the road.

Tuk Tuks tend to exagerate for driving you down town (they will accept 80 LKR to the bus station but don't try to get them to accept the metered rate of colombo which is for info 50 LKR/kil ), they will look at you with anger.

Staff at Samaru's was quite disappointing on the long run though at first very welcoming. I have reasonable doubts that one of them was making an approach on me , sorry i aint looking for an adventure with another dude !
Because it happened to me to be aggressed verbally over sexual matters in trains in Sri Lanka , before i would be cautious coming as a single woman.

I also encountered a disappointment when ordering my sri lankan breakfast one night at 5pm while also ordering my dinner...guess it got lost in the translation and was forced out to have their breakfast again the morning after. so double checks they do understand three times if necessary or do not pay !

I am not sure i would come back for a third time there, owner is definitely a great guy but the staff needs to be seriously more trained and let guests live their lives.
I for one would also appreciate if the rooms in the main building were finally also worked on, asking 3500 LKR for a room with just a fan is not proper with the services.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank superyami
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I don't usually write reviews, but for this I will make an exception. Do not stay here if you are a female alone or with a group of females. Me and two other friends stayed here for just over a week and we were treated very poorly.
Firstly- during the first and only surf lesson we had, the owner of the hotel would grope us and feel us up in the water as we were trying to swim past the waves and get on the board. Even after telling him off, it did not stop him. It made us extremely uncomfortable and ruined the chances of further lessons. Personally I find this disgusting and made me very angry.
Secondly- three of us requested a room which we could all have a bed, every day he promised there would be one that night, then he would re-nigg the offer and was charging us the same price as other rooms even though one of us was sleeping on the floor. Only when we said we were leaving did he drop the price.
Thirdly- They all attempted to extort money from us, by asking directly after telling us a hard life story- even the waiter did this. When refused they became unfriendly.

My advise is don't give these guys your business. I believe it might be a different case if you are traveling with males, but keep in mind their attitudes towards woman and westerners.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Elisa872013
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

The "guest house" has a nice place in front of the bay.
6 rooms with fans and a/c and 8 more soon.
The beds are ok and relatively quiet.
The cooking is great and the staff is very friendly.
They also have boards to rent and they are in good state (NSP).
We stayed 4 days and 4 good days.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple