“Disguting place, unbelievably inhospitable”
Review of Robinhill Suites

Robinhill Suites
Ranked #20 of 111 Weligama B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Beware guys. We did our booking for Robin Hills via Booking.com for 1-2 Jan; however weren't allowed to stay there. I've never come across someone so rude in the hospitality business. The owner said he'd cancelled our booking, but wasn't able to produce any email proof of the same. He goes to the extreme of making us speak to a fake-Booking.com Call Centre executive (doesn't he know Booking.com's only call centre is in UK??) I'd urge visitors to stay away from this place as I don't want them to go through what we experienced (imagine traveling from Bentota to Weligama on the first day of the year & being told to look elsewhere for accomodation).

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mokamojo
Weligama, Owner at Robinhill Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

First Thank you for taking interest in Robinhill. I'm sorry for not being able to offer you Robinhill hospitality. As you knew, unfortunately there was no booking for you at Robinhill though you had booked it via booking.com but later cancelled due to unavailability. Not only I tried to offer you free transport to your booked hotel but also I offered you free telephone calls to contact booking.com Sri Lanka branch. Representative who spoke to you clearly explained about your booked hotel though you did not agree with them.
I let readers to judge on booking.com, Robinhill and you according to your comments. I politely request you to read Tripadvisor reviews of many of our guests who stayed at Robinhill to get an understanding of how classy we are! At the same time, I request you not to take frustration out of a fantastic holiday home and be responsible traveler if you may. Nevertheless we would be very much happy to welcome you at Robinhill, next time when you visit Sri Lanka .

Reviewed January 1, 2014

I have been staying at the Robin Hill for two nights. It is an old traditional house run by Nuwan, a fantastic host who will take care of you as if you were kings.
There are three rooms only and the feeling is really to be at home.
The atmosphere is fantastic, specially in the evening when sitting in the verandah with a nice drink, enjoying the sinelce and the birds singing all around you.
The cooking is beautifully done by Prema in what was the traditional old kitchen, most of the food is cooked on the fire and it is of course delicious.
I wish I could have stayed there some days more, and I thank Nuwan for making my stay so special.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Weligama, Manager at Robinhill Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Thank you for your appreciation. It makes all of us at Robinhill extremely proud and happy to know that our efforts to make you stay a memorable and enjoyable one was fruitful and that you left us with a desire to come back. There can be no greater compliment for us and we certainly look forward to seeing you at Robinhill soon.

Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

In this 140 years old house build by Dutch people, we found our stay as best as it could be during our journey to Sri Lanka. The place is well renewed without loosing its original atmosphere, still candles to light up the rooms in case of electricity brake down and still the perfect cooker Prema to prepare our breakfast and dinners superbably still cooked on and old fireplace. Amazing the feeling of beeing threated as a top class hotel, thanks to Nowan that has managed all in an unforgettable way.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
nuwan39, Manager at Robinhill Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2017

Thank you. See you at Robinhill again.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

My stay at Robin Hill was out of necessity a short one. But I could easily have stayed and stayed. Nuwan, the affable owner, has done such a great job of restoring the old colonial home - tastefully and with such consummate skill - it was like entering a genteel bygone era. He and his ever-smiling staff were always on hand but never intrusive. The food well surpassed my expectations, served elegantly, beautifully. My room was large and comfortable, the furnishings worthy of a film-set!

I would unhesitatingly recommend a stay at Robin Hill to all those looking for an escape from the hurly burly of contemporary life most of us lead. Just make sure you book a long stay...

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I cannot recommend this hotel strongly enough. Nuwan runs a truly wonderful establishment and although i left after 5 days on an exciting trip around the rest of the island I was really sad to leave. The rooms are built around a central courtyard with scented frangipani trees giving a relaxed and shady place to sit and unwind after a day exploring the area. The service was subtle but thoughtful. For instance as soon as I was back in the house a cup of tea made just the way i like was suddenly there for me. Nuwan is very knowledgeable about the local area and gave very helpful tips on where to go and what to see.
I always took the Sri Lankan option for breakfast and dinner and enjoyed what turned out to be the best food I experienced on the island. There were different types of rice and it was cooked in different ways. Each breakfast had a plate full of luscious tropical fruits as well as several delicious sauces - and dinner was a cornucopia of flavours, textures and ingredients. The cooking is superbly handled by Prema who cooks on a cinnamon fire and smiling Sashi - he helps out all round. Truly this was the best food that i had on the island.
All rooms are decorated in tasteful antique local furniture, beautifully kept and it was pleasing to get mosquito nets over the beds just in case a mosquito escaped the coils thoughtfully placed in all areas.
My room had an open roofed outdoor shower which was great fun to use when there were monsoon rain showers!
Simply wonderful.
Do go, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed similar but with individuality will no doubt vary slightly.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alhcookboy
Weligama, Manager at Robinhill Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Thank you Eric. We were delighted to welcome you at Robinhill. More over, we are encouraged a lot now with your comments of our hospitality. It is a genuine measurement to have such comments from a guest house owner / chef . We will always welcome you at Robinhill and provide you the best possible hospitality.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Just returned from a stay at this wonderful house,having traveled from the airport the car stopped at what looked like a rather unimposing house,the gate opened to be greeted buy the smiling face of the owner Nuwan and my bag was whisked away by the house boy once inside its like entering a different world, the house has a large courtyard which is surrounded by rooms all of which are sumptuously furnished with antique furniture My room had a king size bed,and a fascinating but very private outside shower room.
Breakfast and dinner each day was served either in the huge lounge which has a small dining table or in the main dinning room.Dinner each evening was freshly prepared by the wonderful cook using fresh ingredients which came either from the garden at the rear or the local market.
The house is very near to the beach and within walking distance of the main town,Nuwan has a regular tuk- tuck driver that he uses for guests should you wish to travel to Marissa which has a fabulous beach.
Nuwan has a great deal of knowledge about the area and will willingly advise you about the best places to visit.and will provide transport for longer journeys.Both the housekeeper and house boy were courteous and friendly and keep the place immaculate. All in all a unique place to stay and I will certainly be returning when I next visit Sri Lanka.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 5, 2013

In the busy Weligama town this old house with its beautiful rooms, furnishings and peaceful courtyard garden make this a superb place to chill and relax... the bedrooms are comfortable and the main reception is stunning...
The owners really have created a grand home... and the staff make you feel so at home, it was the perfect place to base a few trips from.. and returning "home to a real Sri Lankan dinner cooked in the traditional way was just wonderful.. I will be back for certain.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo